Make your own Lemoncillo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linux

Washing Up
Limoncello is expensive, but this homemade version not only is good, but quick and easy to make. So the flavours can marry, it does need to be left for a fortnight before you drink it. At least a fortnight. This way, the lemon zest and lemon grass really infuse the vodka to give a deliciously sharp but rich taste. Makes one 750ml bottle

8 unwaxed lemons
2 lemon grass stems
700ml bottle of good quality vodka
7¾ oz / 220g caster sugar

Zest the lemons and crush the lemon grass and put them into a large sterilised Kilner or preserving jar and pour over the voddy.

Put the sugar into a saucepan with 350ml water, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Leave the syrup to cool, then add it to the lemon zest mixture.

Seal the preserving jar and leave for a couple of weeks in a cupboard, shaking and turning every so often. Then strain the limoncello into bottles. This is best served ice cold, straight from the freezer.

I live in the lemon capital of the world, might give this a go. I'm not so sure about the lemongrass though. Thanks for the recipe.

The lemongrass is an essential flavouring ingredient, without which the lemoncillo won't taste anywhere near as good. The recipe originates from Italy's old ladies, who know a thing or two. :)

Guess I'd better get started, then.

Yep! :D
But do let me know how you get on.

Last edited:
Interesting. I know for certain that the Lemoncillo I enjoyed in both Amalfi and Sorrento didn't contain lemongrass, nor have I ever seen another recipe containing it. Just saying.......:unsure:

WOW I had no idea how to make this...until now. :) Thank you for sharing!

Poured over ice in a tumbler is best for lemoncillo. The flavours thanks to the lemongrass are all up there: zingy fruit, perfumed fragrance and the voddy takes care of the rest. Surprisingly, the recipe only takes 10 minutes to make, 15 max. Don't buy the expensive voddy, even Smirnoff Red or even a supermarket own-brand is just fine. :)

I love Limoncello...But I like it made from limes even better!!! It's taken me 4 years to drink half of the 500ml bottle I made. I don't drink much, so very little knocks me down.

I don't think I've heard or seen this drink .. more of a Rum & Whiskey guy myself :stuart:

I am not sure if my local restaurants/bars have it :ermm:

We do a Yankee Swap in the office every year during the holidays. This past year one of my co-workers brought in a bottle of Lemoncillo that her husband had made. Everyone was fighting over that bottle. I hope she makes more this year and brings it in.

PF60, what a great idea to try it with limes. I think lemons and limes are the only foods I have ever know of where they can always be interchanged between the two. I do not think I have ever seen an application where one would work, but the other would not.

We do a Yankee Swap in the office every year during the holidays. This past year one of my co-workers brought in a bottle of Lemoncillo that her husband had made. Everyone was fighting over that bottle. I hope she makes more this year and brings it in.

PF60, what a great idea to try it with limes. I think lemons and limes are the only foods I have ever know of where they can always be interchanged between the two. I do not think I have ever seen an application where one would work, but the other would not.

I just prefer the taste of limes to lemons for most things and am forever trying new ways and recipes with limes. I made wonderful Lime Marmalade and Lime Curd. So when I heard of Lemoncello and found a recipe for it, it was a natural substitution!:chef:

Key Lemon Pie?

Since there is no such thing as a Key Lemon...but a really good lemon pie can be made. It doesn't HAVE to have meringue on it. Some good meyer lemons could be a good sub for the key limes.

Besides, if you make meringue, you are left wondering what to do with your egg yolks, some good ideas on that thread over there>>>>

Back
Top Bottom