Martinis: Shaken or Stirred?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't care if it is shaken or stirred, but I don't want chips of ice. I have made them at home, shaken, and didn't find chips of ice. I want it to be made with gin, because I want to taste the booze. I used to dislike gin until I discovered Bombay Sapphire.

Of course stirred. Really, the whole shaken thing is mostly for show-off sake - what would bartenders do without the prolonged, theatrical shakes? Martini is a gentle cocktail, only two ingredients, delicate balance between them - and then you go and violently shakes them? It definitely kills the whole structure of the drink.

When you stir a martini gently, you allow it to continue to evolve in the glass, or as I've recently tried - in a hip flask. Yes, I know it sounds odd, carrying a cocktail around in your flask, but it works.

And btw, a "vodka martini" isn't a martini. It's a completely different cocktail, so go ahead and shake it all you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you guys make your martinis? My general rule is that I shake vodka martinis and stir gin martinis. Then again, I am a big James Bond fan and a gin fan so I occasionally shake gin too. I have heard that shaking gin absolutely kills the flavor. Does anyone else do their martinis this way?

President Jed Bartlet certainly does!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK3fiKkVYlY

Back
Top Bottom