Mock Aquavit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
Another recipe from Kitchen of Light (by Chef Andreas Viestad) and it uses the potatoe based vodka not the grain vodka which he used in the drunk roast I posted earlier. BTW Aquavit means Water of Life

2 Tbs caraway seeds, or more to taste
1 tsp fennel seeds (I leave these out, do not like the taste licorace)
2 tsp dill seeds (seeds NOT dill weed)
2 star anise (I leave these out as well)
1 Tbs coriander seeds (I use 1 tsp)
1 1-inch cinnamon stick
2 tsp cumin seeds (optional, I leave out)
one 1-liter bottle potatoe vodka

Add the spices to the vodka bottle and cover tightly and let stand for 2-3 weeks, depending on how strong you want the aquavit to be. Shake the bottle every once in a while. When the aquavit has reached the desired intensity of flavor, strain and discard the solids, return the aquavit to the bottle and enjoy.

I increase the caraway and dill seeds slightly and leave out the licorace flavored stuff as I do not like the taste. That is what I get when I am in the small town of Brandbu (about 1/2 way between Oslo and Lillihammer) and this tastes just like what I get there.

Hey Norge,

I am making your mock aquavit/schnaps. I could not find any potato vodka (Luksosawa), and was not prepared to pay for Finlandia (a rye), so for experimental purposes I used Smirnoff red label (only 37.5 ABV).

I used 1/2 litre ( the rest is Metropolitans) and adjusted your recipe.

It has not been in bottle for as long as a week yet, but I can say:

1. It has an aroma that is very close to what I remember schnaps having.

2. It is already a light golden colour, and there seems to be some natural sweetness/sugars extracted from the spices into the alcohol.

3. You are quite right, there are two distinct styles of aquavit, one which uses mostly carraway, with some corriander, and one which also uses fennel, dill, cumin and bitter orange peel as well.

I beleive Aalborg is one of the leading brands that demonstrates both styles.

4. It is only "mock" aquavit because the botanicals, or the infusion is not re-distilled. Flavoured vodka is made in exactly the way that you have described, and is not re-distilled.

HOWEVER, your recipe calls for 2 to 3 weeks infusion. And I have used spices in the proportions that you describe. Yet it it is already full of flavour. SO......do you keep them there to let them marry for another two weeks?

Or, if I buy my spices fresh from the Indian grocer, are they more pungent than what you use?

I guess at the end of the day I can allways dilute with a little pure vodka. Just asking if it is going right.

Darkstream said:
Hey Norge,
I am making your mock aquavit/schnaps. I could not find any potato vodka (Luksosawa), and was not prepared to pay for Finlandia (a rye), so for experimental purposes I used Smirnoff red label (only 37.5 ABV).

I used 1/2 litre ( the rest is Metropolitans) and adjusted your recipe.

It has not been in bottle for as long as a week yet, but I can say:

1. It has an aroma that is very close to what I remember schnaps having.

2. It is already a light golden colour, and there seems to be some natural sweetness/sugars extracted from the spices into the alcohol.

3. You are quite right, there are two distinct styles of aquavit, one which uses mostly carraway, with some corriander, and one which also uses fennel, dill, cumin and bitter orange peel as well.

I beleive Aalborg is one of the leading brands that demonstrates both styles.

4. It is only "mock" aquavit because the botanicals, or the infusion is not re-distilled. Flavoured vodka is made in exactly the way that you have described, and is not re-distilled.

HOWEVER, your recipe calls for 2 to 3 weeks infusion. And I have used spices in the proportions that you describe. Yet it it is already full of flavour. SO......do you keep them there to let them marry for another two weeks?

Or, if I buy my spices fresh from the Indian grocer, are they more pungent than what you use?

I guess at the end of the day I can allways dilute with a little pure vodka. Just asking if it is going right.

The chef from whose cookbook I got this, Andreas Viestad had a note that you should taste it as it ages and strain when it is the flavor you want. I think the 2-3 weeks is merely a suggestion as you could do less or longer depending on your personal tastes. I do not like Ålborg as I do not like anise or anything that resembles it. I believe the Indian herbs are more pungent, and there is no rule to MOCK anything I would imagine, only what appeales to the mocker ( :LOL: ) Let me know how it turns out. I have some Gamle Akaviet from the central part of Norway left from my cousin's last visit, but only enough for one + servings, so I imagine I will be using the recipe. You could make the citrus vodkas using this same thing. Or how about mushing a few cranberries and make a cranberry flavored vodka for making cosmos? I am anxious to hear how it goes. Let me know Dark.

Well, I think it is going to turn out ok.

I had previous success making a bottled instant rum lime rickey (just add ice and soda) in the "shrub" fashion. But I do not have access to cheap limes at the moment, and I still have to carry out the Splenda syrup experiments advocated by Erik.

If the aquavit turns out ok, I think I will try making my own version of mandarine Napoleon (without even having tasted it). I have some clues as to what goes in it.

I will let you know the results, but it is at least 20 years since I actually tasted aquavit. But I have a good memory for flavours, amongst other things.

Yeah, it turned out ok. Perhaps a little rough arround the edges, but maybe it will marry down.

I left it for 3 weeks, and in the end I decided to dilute about a third with fresh vodka. The flavour is no longer overpowering.

It is much as I remember aquavit to be.

Thanks for the recipe.

Now for some others!

ti.gif
ee.gif

Darkstream said:
Yeah, it turned out ok. Perhaps a little rough arround the edges, but maybe it will marry down.

I left it for 3 weeks, and in the end I decided to dilute about a third with fresh vodka. The flavour is no longer overpowering.

It is much as I remember aquavit to be.

Thanks for the recipe.

Now for some others!

I will try. My cousin in Norway used to make Rhubarb wine with the addition of wild red and black currents from the hills in Hadeland (an area about 1/2 way between Oslo and Lillinammer), although I was uncertain why she called it wine as it was 90 proof, any she is in Valhallah along with her recipe. The King never found out of her booklegging and her neighbors and visitors in her B&B certainly miss her, as do I.

ti.gif
ee.gif

I meant I will try some others. I had success with lime shrub and with your recipe, so Mandarine Napoleon next!

I am fascinated by your tale. I have been reading a book, "The Connoisseur's guide to Spirits and Cocktails" by David Broom, pub. Carlton Press ISBN 1 85868 837 X.

He describes how the Finns (government and other bacteria) tried prohibition, and now ultra high taxes on spirits to stop drinking. PERHAPS, understandable, if you understand what the abscence of sun for six months does to some people who have access to alcohol.

He also describes that even today, 20% of the vodka that is drunk in Sweden is bootleg, and that although home distilling is completely unlawful in any european or scandinavian country, it still persists, particularly in country areas. Interestingly, the government(s) do not take too much interst in this!

Governments are stupid, normally composed of the most disreputable people in their society, and persistently refuse to learn from their own, or other peoples mistakes. Hence the prohibition and high taxes, with the innevitable result. They learn nothing, and remember everything.

I hope your cousin is sweating over a still now. Ask her to keep an eye out for me when I get to that dark country!

Regards,

ti.gif
ee.gif

Darkstream said:
I meant I will try some others. I had success with lime shrub and with your recipe, so Mandarine Napoleon next!

I am fascinated by your tale. I have been reading a book, "The Connoisseur's guide to Spirits and Cocktails" by David Broom, pub. Carlton Press ISBN 1 85868 837 X.

I hope your cousin is sweating over a still now. Ask her to keep an eye out for me when I get to that dark country!

Regards,

ti.gif
ee.gif

I am certain she is. She was very proud of her '90 proof' wine. She always loved for me to visit, as I always brought her a VSOP vintage which here is about $50, in Oslo $175 so when I arrived I was always very popular. She rewarded me with her wine and her expertise in the kitchen. She will be awaiting the arrival of any kindly person in need of a bit of liquid refreshment. BTW she was Norway's first to US ambasador for SAS airlines back in the 40's, so she is good at making people feel welcome.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom