Question about Sherry..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
does she kiss on the first date?? j/k anyway...i am trying a new reciepe for stir fry chicken, and it calls for sherry. i have an un-opened bottle that is about 7-8 years old. can i use this? what is the life span of sherry??

Sherry is a fortified wine. Once it's in the bottle, it sHOULDN'T change. BUT, it can certainly be damaged by heat/light/other external conditions! If it is real Spanish sherry, then it should have a cork - and if it has been stored 'standing up', rather than on its side, the cork may well have dried out, shrunk and let air into the bottle.... PEUGH!

The best thing to do is to open it..... smell it.... if it smells 'off' then don't use it!

ok..good advise...1 problem though...i have NO idea what sherry should smell like (thats why the bottle is 8 years old)!!

can u plz describe the smell to me??

smells pretty darn good actualy!! (and im not much of a wine drinker)...kinda nutty with a full body.

its a fairbanks of california. im gonna give it a go.

if u dont see me posting within the next day or 2..im in the hospital...and u guyz all suck!! lol

ummmm, Alix? Ishbel? it's been 3 days.... :ermm:
mugsy27 said:
smells pretty darn good actualy!! (and im not much of a wine drinker)...kinda nutty with a full body.

its a fairbanks of california. im gonna give it a go.

if u dont see me posting within the next day or 2..im in the hospital...and u guyz all suck!! lol

Alix said:
A bit like sweetish red wine. Trust me...if it is "off" you will know!

they make wine in sweden? i can't imagine it's any good.

i think we need to send out a search party for mugsy. he's probably holed up somewhere with rocky.
"ok, mugsy, get the boys and surround the house"...

Back
Top Bottom