Question on cooking with alcohol (Not sure which forum to post under)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moondog

Assistant Cook
Well, I have noticed alot of recipes I have wanted to try include alvoholic drinks. My being underage obviously limits what I can and cannot use. Pretty much the closest thing I can get to an alcoholic drink with cooking is cooking wine or red wine vinegar (which I do not think even has alcohol in it anyway). I realize that the alcohol burns out when set flame, but my mom still would not be comfortable buying me alcohol for cooking. Especially because my dad would freak. Haha!

Well, alot of recipes I have wanted to try are from Alton Brown and alot also include alcoholic drinks. Since I cannot get ahold of anykind of alcohol for cooking, what can I use as substitutes?

Really the only kind of drinks I have noticed in recipes that I do not have are Rum, Brandy, and White Wine. What can I use in place of these in recipes to still get a similar taste? For example, cabernet sauce. I love it when I can get it with steak in restaurants but I cannot make it at home. What can I use in place of cabernet wine to make it?

So, what are some substitutes for rum, brandy, white wine, and cabernet I could use that can still produce a similar flavor?

Come to think of it, is it possible to buy brandy, rum, white wine, or cabernet that already has the alcohol burned out?

It is not possible to buy these products with the alcohol burned out. It also appears that you can forget any of these recipes until you are of legal age. You can google alcohol substitutes - just know that nothing other than the alcoholic beverage stated in the recipe will come close. If your Dad and/or your Mom aren't willing to have these recipes cooked as written I'm afraid there's nothing you can do.

Moodog, there really is no substituion for alcoholic beverages in recipes that will give you the SAME flavor. That said, there are a number of liquids that are non-alcoholic that will add flavor. So, try to avoid adding just water as a substitute. The liquids that will add flavor that spring to mind are fruit or vegetable juices, stock or broths and vingegar.
For example, a recipe that calls for a dry white wine or vermouth, I might try a bit of lemon or orange juice since the white wine introduces a bit of a fruity/acid flavor to the recipe.

For red wine, I might substitute a rich beef stock with some tomato sauce.

I know (or assume) that you don't know what most of these drinks taste like, it will be hard to guess what flavor the alcohol will impart on the recipe. But the fun part is the experimentation! Right?

Moodog, there really is no substituion for alcoholic beverages in recipes that will give you the SAME flavor. That said, there are a number of liquids that are non-alcoholic that will add flavor. So, try to avoid adding just water as a substitute. The liquids that will add flavor that spring to mind are fruit or vegetable juices, stock or broths and vingegar.
For example, a recipe that calls for a dry white wine or vermouth, I might try a bit of lemon or orange juice since the white wine introduces a bit of a fruity/acid flavor to the recipe.

For red wine, I might substitute a rich beef stock with some tomato sauce.

I know (or assume) that you don't know what most of these drinks taste like, it will be hard to guess what flavor the alcohol will impart on the recipe. But the fun part is the experimentation! Right?
Haha, I really do not know any of what they taste like. Personally, not only do I not drink because I am under age, but I also really dislike the idea of body/mind altering substances, which includes drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, not even prescription drugs (Which I do not take even when prescribed). The only medication I will take are natural extracts. As far as pharmaceudicals go, the only thing I use is nasonex. :)

Well, I do not know what they taste like which is why I ask. I really only have an idea of what cabernet may taste like just because of the cabernet sauce that is often served with steak at restaurants.

Well, can you possibly give me some liquids that could take place of cabernet, brandy, rum, and white wine then?

Taste, Taste, Taste, Moondog. That is the answer to your question. Of the overall recipe, ask yourself, what will this taste like? Go with what you DO know, not the unknown alcohol. Then ask, what can liquid can I substitute that will add flavor to this dish? Substituting is not always about coming up with something that will taste similar, it can also be about what can I substitute to make this taste good (or even better)?
On a side note, as a dad myself, good thinking on the mind-altering consumables. I'd only add that all things in moderation. When I have a headache, sometimes the best thing (for me) is some pain medication (eg ibuprofin). And (when you are age-appropriate) one day, you might find that the occasional glass of wine with a nice meal to be pleasurable as well. Again, in moderation.

alot of times you can sub the achohol for different things but dependso n the recipe of what your making. sometimes there is no sub.

This is what I propose to bring to your parents. I know in NY its 18 to serve 21 to drink. Dont know how old you are but never the less.

You can get most alcohol in smaller bottles especially white and red wines. Ask them if they watch you under adult supervision if they can buy it and hide it. and when you need it they can get it from there secured place.

If you are really serious about cooking and they know that and you show that Im sure you can come to come agreement.

or

you can just wait

alot of times you can sub the achohol for different things but dependso n the recipe of what your making. sometimes there is no sub.

This is what I propose to bring to your parents. I know in NY its 18 to serve 21 to drink. Dont know how old you are but never the less.

You can get most alcohol in smaller bottles especially white and red wines. Ask them if they watch you under adult supervision if they can buy it and hide it. and when you need it they can get it from there secured place.

If you are really serious about cooking and they know that and you show that Im sure you can come to come agreement.

or

you can just wait
Well, first, I am 15. Second, the secured alcohol actually does seem like a really good idea. I will bring that up with my madre tonight.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom