Rum!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I love rum.

I need new ideas, though.

The whole rum 'n coke is getting boring, and even Malibu & coke is too.

I need some suggestions for this weekend - thanks!

fam21.gif

try malibu and cream soda. (sounds weird but is good i swear)
or malibu and orange juice. (this is even better)
or malibu o.j. AND pineapple juice (even better than plain o.j)

middie said:
try malibu and cream soda. (sounds weird but is good i swear)
or malibu and orange juice. (this is even better)
or malibu o.j. AND pineapple juice (even better than plain o.j)

Oh, honey, I've had malibu and everything. I'd put it on cornflakes if I had to! Long story short, I can have malibu/coke all night long and just keep a buzz, but no drunkie-drunkie. After 2 glasses of wine, I'm too silly.

I'm looking for plain white rum with something.... (mojito is wonderful, but I've had that too, lately....)

PS - ever tried Grapefruit vodka? Now that's yummy too.

:twisted:

Here's a big hint for you on where to take your love of Rum.

Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum is fermented and aged in oak casks. That's why, if you drink it straight or on the rocks, it has a very earthy aftertaste.

Trout fillet, poached in captain and an earthy white wine, placed on a plank of well-cleaned, sanded smooth white oak, service-side up. Put plank and trout in a stone oven and bake. Use a spray bottle to quench the wood if it starts smoking -too- much.

There are a hundred other things I can think of, just off the top of my head, to do with Captain that don't even begin to have anything to do with DRINKING it. :) Captain Spiced is a miracle the Jamaicans granted the rest of the world. See what kind of crazy things you can do with it!

Weeks said:
:twisted:

Here's a big hint for you on where to take your love of Rum.

Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum is fermented and aged in oak casks. That's why, if you drink it straight or on the rocks, it has a very earthy aftertaste.

Trout fillet, poached in captain and an earthy white wine, placed on a plank of well-cleaned, sanded smooth white oak, service-side up. Put plank and trout in a stone oven and bake. Use a spray bottle to quench the wood if it starts smoking -too- much.

There are a hundred other things I can think of, just off the top of my head, to do with Captain that don't even begin to have anything to do with DRINKING it. :) Captain Spiced is a miracle the Jamaicans granted the rest of the world. See what kind of crazy things you can do with it!

Almost all light brown colored liquor is aged in oak. Oak imparts a vanilla like taste and light brown color. The only reason that regular brandy doesn't taste or smell like wine is that it is aged in oak. Unaged brandy, called, "immature grape brandy," is clear and smells like wine.

Putting spice into rum is a cheat. Technically, Captain Morgan Spiced Rum is a liqueur and not rum. Also, imho, Captain Morgan Spiced Rum is crap.

Hey, Weeks -
Thanks for all the info on "Rum 101". :D

I was actually looking for a new cocktail, but your suggestions sure are dandy!
PS - one of my favorite things to put Captain Morgan in is Pumpkin Pie!

You guys might give Appleton's Spiced rum a try...

With the rums that are neither white nor black, good old gingerale is a nice mixer, and, with the various fruit garnishments, you can take it from there...

I have to add that the best rum I've had was the 7 year old stuff from Cuba, but Americans will find this difficult to access...fortunately available in Ontarian liquor board stores (well, the high end ones, anyways!)...

Sometimes difficult to find "Lemon Hart Dark" is a nice friendly taste that does well in cocktails

Sadly we Canucks cannot seem to easily access the rum that was available in New Orleans for the incredible "Hurricane Cocktail" (if I recall correctly!)...the "Bahama Mamma" is a different approach to the taste, involving fruit juices, and no sodas...

The restricted SRD Rum that the CdnForces used to hand out as "rum ration" was pretty poisonous (much like Captain Morgan dark, in my own opinion!)(only much stronger!), on the other hand, at our New Years Levy's, we would serve "Moose Milk" which was a Canadian quart of dark rum (usually Lemon Hart) with 3-4 quarts of a very heavy eggnog, occaisionally sprinkled with nutmeg...just the thing (in that "other life" when I still had a body!) for "recovering from the wassails of the night before, at 1000 hrs in full uniform...

Lifter

More alcohol, but also a much stronger flavour...it was (almost) undrinkable...but after a while, you got around that...

Thanks jkath, it comes of endless nights sitting on your helmet with a pool of "rookies" looking up at the old dog...

On that note, you might look over the "Rummmm!" thread for the "Moose Milk" recipe for New Years Day Levy...

Thinking of SRD Rum, though, makes me recall my grandfather, a WWI veteran, and one of his stories of that war, where he went from civilian volunteer in the "Suicide Battalion" to CQMS Sgt, one of three unwounded survivours of his 150 man company at Vimy Ridge...(promotion gets easy with viscious attacks and sickly seasons...a toast in any military mess)

Anyways, it seems Granddad, known then as "Billy", was in an infantry unit deployed right up on the front line trenches, and was detailed to a party of men to bring up the company SRD rum ration for the day (150 men x 4 oz each = 600 ounces) which were issued in pottery "ankers" and it was desireable to have more bodies than the physical exertion would give, both for protection (lest some rear echelon party should fall upon you and steal the good stuff) or should you suffer casualties, or should you be basically dishonest and steal it yourself...

Anyways, the bearing party is headed back up to the line when it comes under artillery barrage and everyone is jumping into the nearest shell hole or swamp to get out of the fire, and the area is given a pretty good beating up...so the surviving party comes to a neat thought...send the youngest member up to the Sgt Major to report that they've caught a dose of fire and the stores are destroyed...while the rest of them salvage the rum and head to the foremost machine gun post at the edge of No-Man's Land and commence to divvy up the spoils and consume same amongst say 6-8 individuals; a good move of entrepreneurship, you'll agree, as rum there is in plenty, but good soldiers are hard to find...

It lacked one element in planning, in that the Germans were in fact serious about expending arty ammo, and produced an attack on that very point of the front...

As Granddad related "I've never got so sober so fast" as they had to use the machine guns etc to fight off the attack, more or less unsupported, and were "mentioned in dispatches" for bravery or "courage", even if it was plainly a "Dutch Courage", which the official records do not record...

He was a tough old bugger, my granddad!

Too many of these stories have been cleaned up to pass through the Board Censors for me to consider that...

LOL!

Lifter

Can you get Schweppes brand cordials where you are. They used to make a clove compound cordial. They make the lime cordial for drink mixing as well.

Anyway, O.P rum and cloves used to be very popular here in OZ. It was the best way to get rid of a head cold. 1 nip of rum with about 1/2 a capful of cloves cordial. We can't buy the clove cordial here but may be available elswhere.

WayneT said:
Can you get Schweppes brand cordials where you are. They used to make a clove compound cordial. They make the lime cordial for drink mixing as well.

Anyway, O.P rum and cloves used to be very popular here in OZ. It was the best way to get rid of a head cold. 1 nip of rum with about 1/2 a capful of cloves cordial. We can't buy the clove cordial here but may be available elswhere.

What is O.P rum?

You can buy clove essential oil at some drugstores because it is an old remedy for toothaches. You can dissolve this in vodka to make your own cordial.

Back
Top Bottom