Sippin' Whiskey and Liquor Store Delivery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
I'm no connoisseur, don't play one on TV. Some years past I "occasionally" imbibed "Old Charter 10."

With "prescient" insight colored by fond recollection, it occurred to me, one relief to the boredom of self-imposed quarantine is liquor store delivery.

So I logged on to a very highly regarded corner liquor store's website and ordered several gallons of beer, white wine, red wine, whiskeys, and other strong spirits.

Turns out, Old Charter brand has withdrawn many options, and "Old Charter" aged 8 years, is the only one available. I used to pay quite a premium for "Old Charter 10", but the 8-year variety I'm sipping now, at two in the afternoon, seems quite satisfactory.

Last edited:
Oh gosh, yes. We have gotten wine delivery at least twice, and DH is on his 2nd beer delivery.

While I am more of a "Rye Guy" than a "Bourbon Urban", the bourbons I have enjoyed most (without breaking the bank) are Knob Creek Small Batch (and the single barrel reserve for higher proof), as well as Willett's Pot Still Reserve. Both are exceptional bourbons for the price.

I'm no connoisseur, don't play one on TV. Some years past I "occasionally" imbibed "Old Charter 10."

With "prescient" insight colored by fond recollection, it occurred to me, one relief to the boredom of self-imposed quarantine is liquor store delivery.

So I logged on to a very highly regarded corner liquor store's website and ordered several gallons of beer, white wine, red wine, whiskeys, and other strong spirits.

Turns out, Old Charter brand has withdrawn many options, and "Old Charter" aged 8 years, is the only one available. I used to pay quite a premium for "Old Charter 10", but the 8-year variety I'm sipping now, at two in the afternoon, seems quite satisfactory.

LOL

I just made my weekly walk uptown to retrieve a free pint of hand sanitizer in exchange for purchasing a bottle of green chile vodka:D

No whisky or deliveries but...

Jeannie and I are concerned.. Today we bought our 2nd bottle of wine of this month.. :ermm:

This SIP has us turning to the booze, big time.. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ross

Once a year I purchase a bottle of Woodford Reserve Bourbon. It comes from Kentucky's oldest distillery in Versailles, KY. (the official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby horse race.

I live about a half hour from the old Kentucky Bourbon district, and about an hour and a half from Versailles. Still there are other cheaper Bourbons I like just as much. (Evan Williams is a second choice of mine)

I just wish it was legal for me to make my own....which I could do.

This is the early Kentucky Bourbon district

ZND0nvb.jpg

Once a year I purchase a bottle of Woodford Reserve Bourbon. It comes from Kentucky's oldest distillery in Versailles, KY. (the official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby horse race.

I live about a half hour from the old Kentucky Bourbon district, and about an hour and a half from Versailles. Still there are other cheaper Bourbons I like just as much. (Evan Williams is a second choice of mine)

I just wish it was legal for me to make my own....which I could do.

This is the early Kentucky Bourbon district

ZND0nvb.jpg

Okey donkey joe. your tastes are so much more refined than mine.

But, really who cares? In a few minutes or hours I'll be banished from this forum anyhow.

We have placed and receive booze orders twice from the SAQ (Société d'Acool du Québec - the provincial liquor store, the only place to legally buy hard liquor in Quebec) since the lockdown started. We don't bother with wine, because we get that with our grocery deliveries. The only whisky (or whiskey for you Yanks) that we ordered was some Crown Royal.

LOL @ skilletlicker :)

Just remember, Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey wouldn't be Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey without those Tennessee White Oak cask that they use to age it in.

I bought this book by Kurt Devlin back in high school and learned the craft.
What was most enlightening (to me then) about liquor is that it is basically
ethanol alcohol cut with water to around 40% (or 80 proof) and by some means flavored to become whatever you desire. Vodka is nearly water & alcohol. But add various herb flavorings (Juniper Berries) and you have Gin.
P. Fioretti and Noriot were companies that sold flavorings to make popular
whiskey & liquor beverages from alcohol stocks.

I had already learned to make beer & wine from my Grandad, and then I saw this booklet. (shown below) Learning to make a still from an 18 inch long piece of 1 1/8 inch diameter copper tube with an old electric coffee pot heating element was the thrill of my life back then. I could actually make moonshine. :D

Kentucky requires the mash the alcohol is distilled from to be 51% corn at a minimum to be true Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. (but most Distilleries there use
up to 25% more corn).

filename-1-2

Hey skilletlicker,
I just found out about Old Charter changing their lineup as well. What I found was that all the original versions 8, 10 & 12 years are no longer made. The new 8 is 8 seasons not 8 years. The rest of the series is made with different wood types and ages.
I've been trying like crazy to find some new old stock of the 10 year old or 8 year old but can't find it anywhere! I have about 1/2 of a fifth bottle left.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom