Strangest Beer you ever had?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronjohn55

Head Chef
What's the strangest/weirdest beer you've ever had?

For the sake of good taste, I'll leave the 'extreme' beers Larry Bell of Kalamazoo Brewing Company made for the National Hombrewer's Conference in Chicago a few years back out of this. Let's just say there were ingredients in those beers that should NEVER be used in beer! :sick:

John

not real fond of those fruity beers like appricot pilsner or raspberry wheat. sorry, just not for this full hop kind of guy. Like my IPAs! did have a great brew pub Christmas Ale with juniper and cinnamon...that was awesome!! Shoul dcall it deep woods and do it in the heat of summer too!

I had a blueberry ale once. That was nothing like what I expected. Like Robo, I am not fond of fruity beers, but this one was great. There was zero sweetness to it. There was the faintest hint of the flavor of blueberry, but unless I was told that ahead of time I don't think I would have ever guessed that is what it was. The reason I picked it as my strangest beer is that they actually put a small spoonful of blueberries in the glass. That really did seem strange to me, but I liked it a lot.

:) I once had a smoked green chili beer at this brew pub it was awful and the worst part was I spent my last 2 bucks on it.

Bud Light. I usually have such high standards and would never under normal circumstances put such pisswater like a domestic standard brew in my body. I don't know what I was thinking.

I'm with poppinfresh. Bud and Bud lite is horrible, yet it is the most popular beer in America. We have alot of micro brew beers here, but I know I wont like them, with that fruit added to it. I do prefer domestic beer, I hate ale, and heavy beers. My hubby likes Stella Artois, a belgian beer, but to me it smells like a skunk!

:) My husband works as security on the ranch we live on, one of many owned by Ted Turner he patrols the ranch looking for trespassers catches poachers of fish,elk,deer etc he says every bad guy he catches or where he finds evidence of trespassing they drink only one kind of beer.YEP You guessed it it's Budweiser.He also hates the taste of it.

The second worst beer I ever had was a Berliner Weiss, in a night club in Berlin. It was a Weissbeer, all wheat floated over a sour rapsberry syrup. Just awful.
But the worst beer ever was at my fiend's house after his daughter was married the day before. They had several cases left of Coors Light...nobody would drink it. That is the most tasteless excuse for beer I have ever encountered.
I had half of it and threw out the rest. I did snag a six pack of it however and used it to rinse out my kegs after I sanitize them, and before refilling with something worth drinking. I called it my keg-wash beers.

A while back, in an airport bar, ordered some specific beer, took one swig and realized the bartender had made a mistake.

It was the dreaded and awful Budweiser.

Knew it immediately.

Blech, blech, a thousand times blech.

Of course I got another beer.

But how this is a popular beer I have no idea.

And have done blind beer tastings and can always pick out the Bud.

Yech.

Somehow this topic has gone...well...of topic lol. This is supposed to be about the strangest beer you have ever had, not the worst :LOL:

Probably the High Gravity Lager from Steel Reserve. It was sweet, along the lines of fresh sweet corn, and it had a much higher alcohol content than regular lagers, along the lines of a malt liquor.

:) Bud is cheap thats why it is so popular.I think it might be a step up from Shaefers I think I spelled that wrong which gives me a horrible head ache after one can.I know GB we are off topic but I say a bad beer is a strange beer.
And I think while we are at it we should expose the bad ones so we can save a couple of bucks by not investing in sewer beer.

Last edited:
jpmcgrew said:
And I think while we are at it we should expose the bad ones so we can save a couple of bucks by not investing in sewer beer.
That could be a great topic for another thread. Want to start that one jpmcgrew?

GB said:
Somehow this topic has gone...well...of topic lol. This is supposed to be about the strangest beer you have ever had, not the worst :LOL:

LOL!

Can't say I'm surprised! I think, especially when it comes to beer, strange usually equals bad to peoples taste buds.

Perhaps I've gotten to far into a "judging" mindset, but usually the only time I consider a beer "bad" is when something has literally gone bad in it (spoiled, stale, soured, infected, etc). I try to appreciate each beer I have based on what it is and what it's supposed to be - even the big commercial brewery offerings (Although Bud does make me sick, not sure why, but even one bottle will do it. Just Bud, not even Bud light).

So if I get a sour beer, and it's supposed to be sour, I'll go with it. I may not like it and may consider it strange, but not necessarily bad. :)

We now return to weird beers...

Anyone else ever had a spelt ale?

John

i don't know if i've ever had a "strange" beer. there were good ones, bad ones, and everything in between.

i haven't seen them in a while, but i used to suck down "ed's cave creek chili beer". i loved them, especially with a plate of nachos.

nacho nacho maaaaaaaan.

i wanna be, a nacho man.

I'm pretty used to the fruit flavored lambics. But there are three strange beers I can think of, maybe more.

Stille Nacht by De Dolle - Tasted like a high alcohol content marmalade. One glass and I was leaping off couches.

Corsendonk Pater - Absolutely no lingering taste at all. You'd take a sip, enjoy the complex and delicate blend of flavors and then FOOMF, gone.

Midas Touch by Dogfish Head - Supposed to be a replica of a recipe found from an old mug excavated in King Midas' putative tomb. It's very flat and very honey like. Just like the old stuff, I suppose. Probably closer to mead.

Panil Barriquee - An Italian Flemish Sour Ale. Usually Flemish Sour Ales are weird but good, like exquisite (and in my opinion superior) champagnes. The Panil, however, was like drinking super sour candies without their sugar content.

Had a really fine IPA called Arrogant Bastard Ale. THe bottle insulted me enough to buy it and drink it...and it was good enough to do it again!

Back
Top Bottom