The Wine Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I thought it would be nice to discuss new and different wines with each other. Usually, I pick up the same 'ol bottles but lately I've been label shopping and lucked out. Post the good ones and ones you feel are horrible.

Here's the latest:

Cantine Colosi Nero D'Avola Sicilia 2007

Full bodied red with a minute touch of sweetness with the boldness of a cabernet.. I had it with homemade meatballs over linguini. $12.99 at my local liquor store.

84710.jpg

For the red our runaway favourite is Lambrusco di Modena Amabile. It is both rich in flavour and refreshingly smooth, and very low in acidity.

For the white we have a few favourites but to choose one it has to be Gewurztraminer from Alto Adige. Uniquely aromatic and fruity flavour is highly pleasant.

I wouldn't know how much they would cost overseas, we can find great Lambrusco for about 2€ and Gewurztraminer about 3€ along with many good tasting varieties here in Italy... one of the advantages of living in Rome :cool:

This would be a good thread for me, cuz I never seem to pick a bottle of wine that I like. Except for that white zifandel.. but it is soooo cheap, I feel like a bottom feeder!

This would be a good thread for me, cuz I never seem to pick a bottle of wine that I like. Except for that white zifandel.. but it is soooo cheap, I feel like a bottom feeder!

I try to stay under $15 on a gamble. I usually have $8.99 / 1.5 Chardonnay or Pinot on hand at all times. I've had great cheap wines and nasty expensive ones.

Yea, that is the problem I have. I try to opt for a $$$ bottle of wine only to be dissapointed. I know I don't like reds. I can't deal with the tannins. I think my favorite is Chini Blanc (sp) but I can't always find it. Hey, what ever cheap white wines you got up your sleeve, please share!!!

The Vendange, Barefoot and Bella Sera $8.99 - $10.99 / 1.5 are all pretty good. There's another brand too, I have to look when I go home.

Vendange has one called Symphony which is kind of sweet....too sweet for me, but their Chard and Pinot are real good.

There's obviously a wide range once you get above $10.99.

One I always stay away from is Corbett Canyon. It's gross and for some reason the shape of the bottle really turns me off....I don't know what it is, but it does. I've poured nearly full 1.5's down the sink.

If you don't like Chardonnay, take a crack at a lighter colored one. I'm not a fan of the real oaky Chards and that trick has always worked out for me. Same goes with Pinos and White Zinfandel. The lighter they are, the crisper the flavor, which is what I prefer in a white......obviously we're talking ten dollar bottles here.

For reds, I usually just grab Mondavi. If I'm craving a nice, bold red I'll either label shop or spend $15-25 on a bottle I'm familliar with.

Thanks Jeeks, I'm certain I will be making a stop on my way home. I think I am going to keep my eye out for the Vendange.

My store doesn't keep them chilled:glare:, so look where the jugs and the rest of the "cheapo" wines are. lol

Has anyone tried the Menage Trois - red - it is a combination of merlot, cab and zinfandel - usually under $10 a bottle (however I have seen it over too) and it is very good.

Raymond Vineyards' Merlot is superb. Also love Hob Nob Pinot Noir. Still looking for that perfect Sauvignon Blanc.

Has anyone tried the Menage Trois - red - it is a combination of merlot, cab and zinfandel - usually under $10 a bottle (however I have seen it over too) and it is very good.

Michele!!!! Ménage à trois Red - excellent blend!! If you like that you might also like Marietta Old Vine Red.

I think a great sauv blanc must be from california. The climate in Cali for this varietal seems perfect. Give Kim Crawford of Honig a try!

I think a great sauv blanc must be from california. The climate in Cali for this varietal seems perfect. Give Kim Crawford of Honig a try!

Hi Samantha!! Well...I feel the best sauvignon blanc comes from New Zealand, which is why there is enough wine for everyone! :LOL: But, aside from that, you say "Kim Crawford of Honig". Kim Crawford is a wine producer in New Zealand, correct... and Honig is in California? Did you Mean Kim Crawford or Honig? I will have to agree that Honig makes some great Sauvignon Blanc regardless of where they are!!!!

Babich (New Zealand) is one of my favorites. Well-balanced for sure!

Samantha, Kim Crawford is from New Zealand.....

imho the best value Sauvignon Blancs are from NZ, but not always the best...

Two excellent wineries from the Santa Barbara region are Kenneth-Crawford and Brewer-Clifton. Both are pretty hard to find and they only make a very limited amount of wines per year, but pick one up if you see it. Brewer-Clifton makes an outstanding Pinot Noir and they also make Chardonnay. Kenneth-Crawford also makes an outstanding Pinot Noir as well as Syrah and Grenache.

If your focus is mainly value, then yes, California and New Zealand make some very good and very affordable Sauvignon Blancs. However, the best pure Sauvignon Blancs that I've had were Pouilly-Fumés. I've also had some really outstanding White Bordeauxs but those are Sauvignon Blanc blends.

Back
Top Bottom