Uses for Concord Grape Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Somebody gave us a bottle of this a while back and I need some ideas of how to use it. Drink it? Never! Much, much too sweet for me.

I know one or more of you out there will have some suggestions.

For you mudbug, I will give up my simple little recipe for smoked ham.

You take a bottle of very sweet wine like you have. You pour it over a fresh ham in a large stockpot [one you don't mind having out on the bbq grill].

Put said pot on a smoky bbq grill and close the lid. Every so often, turn the ham in the wine. Let cook til the ham is tender -- adding water if necessary to keep ham liquid and wine level at least halfway up the ham.

Remove said tender ham and slice.

Take pot in kitchen and reduce liquids down to almost a gravy like consistency. Add the bbq sauce of your choice and reduce til at desired consistency. Serve with ham.

My relatives scream for more.

And I have never given this recipe to anyone -- not even them.

I'm......(almost) speechless.

I humbly thank you for sharing this, sister!

We will be having ham for Christmas this year, and this fits the bill exactly. Same traditional meat, but with a twist. My MIL (who likes a little nip of sweet wine now and then) will probably love it.

Let me know if you like it, or if you think me and my family are nuts!

I will be on pins and needles waiting to hear.

I like have you guys for my cooking family and have taken you all into my heart! :LOL:

OK, a few details needed:

Any particular temp to keep the cooker at? HH will be in charge of this part of the process.

Does the liquid need to be just simmering, or what?

Stockpot plus lid, or not?

Smoke until tender - approx time? (just provide what size ham you usually use and I will adjust from there)

mudbug said:
OK, a few details needed:

Any particular temp to keep the cooker at? HH will be in charge of this part of the process.

Does the liquid need to be just simmering, or what?

Stockpot plus lid, or not?

Smoke until tender - approx time? (just provide what size ham you usually use and I will adjust from there)

Uh oh! Details..... you know old soul food cooks cook by "vibration"!

I have never ever used a gas grill -- always a charcoal grill. One large bag of charcoal was more than enough.

Just keep the wine at a fast simmer or a slow boil [I have added another half a bottle of wine when I did a whole ham, I might have added the rest, but my auntie kept drinking it up!]

We never bothered with a lid for the stockpot. The smoke needs to get inside of the ham also! It adds such a good flavor. Besides, when the ham gets near to being done, you want the water to evaporate to cut down on reducing time in the kitchen.

I have cooked a half a ham and the last time -- a whole ham. It took at least 3 or 4 hours [we were having fun in the kitchen making side dishes, so we did not notice the time much-- we just checked on the ham and turned it now and then]. We like it fork tender.

OK I am totally drooling here. My issue is my lid would not fit over my pot. I guess I need to add something to my Christmas list.

Of course we only use charcoal or wood! Cooker has a temp gauge tho, so I was wondering.

Duh about the lid. Of course the ham won't get the flavor if it's all buttoned up.

Don't make me go buy another bottle of that wine. I think half a ham will do the five of us just fine.

Oh mudbug! Forgive me!

I forgot to tell you to marinate that ham 24 hours or overnight in the wine before cooking - turning it in the wine.

I should also tell you, I have done many variations on this same theme.

I have just smoked the ham without putting it in the pot, and basting it with the wine.

If it was not done before I was ready to quit smoking for the day, I have finished the ham off in a covered pan in the oven -- basting with the wine.

It is all good.

Don't forget to save the bone and scraps for beans or greens! You would not believe the flavor.

i will be at bug's to pick up my bottle of rosemary infused oil, so i'll see ya there pa baker.

hey bug, why not use it to simmer sliced portabellas and shallots until soft, then reduce it with butter and minced anchovies and tomato paste to make a sauce to go over the shrooms...

bucky, your idea looks like it certainly would cut down on the sweet factor, but I think I'm gonna go with choclatechef's recipe for the ham. I will NOT spend money on another bottle of this stuff.

Man would I love to have all you guys at my house. Wouldn't we have a time?!

mudbug said:
bucky, your idea looks like it certainly would cut down on the sweet factor, but I think I'm gonna go with choclatechef's recipe for the ham. I will NOT spend money on another bottle of this stuff.

Wanna bet! If you like this ham like I hope you will.....you will be buying more real sweet wine sooner than you think.

I originally developed this recipe to use with the home made bush cherry wine I made one year. It had not aged at all, and was thus [since I put a lot of sugar in it before fermenting] very sweet. I made 10 gallons of it. I used the very last of it making this ham for some friends.

Brisket with Concord Wine

Large 13x9 inch baking pan:

Layer 2 sliced onions on bottom
Layer 1 box mushrooms sliced on top
Place brisket on top
Place slice potatoes and carrots on the side.

In a mixing bowl, mix up 1/2 jar apricot preserves, 1/2 cup mayo, 1 pak onion soup mix. Pour onto the top of brisket.
Pour the wine on the side of the brisket to about 1 inch.
Cover with foil tightly, 325F 3-4 hours till tender.

Back
Top Bottom