Vodka and Martini and Rossi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Priceless!

This information is priceless to me. Since I am the only one who wants to drink vodka martini, no one comments about what I drink. I have to save this thread with all the special suggestions (of course before midnight NewYear's) and try each one. I failed to count how many different vodkas were mentioned here. Gin has given me headache so I shy away from it. also putting vodka in freezer really sounds like a good hint. I am so thankful you all commented. Helps me to understand what is best. It is truly overwhelming when I go to my grocery store. Just can't believe what selection they have at a grocery store and would you believe the shelves are usually almost empty? It truly surprises me how different everyone lives. That used to be the only aisle I didn't go down. Now only aisle I have to spend most time. Like finding another part of life! And not getting headache? I know Oprah really like vodka. Maybe you don't gain weight when you drink it?

most people of the opposite sex look a lot thinner, and are much better looking when they drink vodka...:rolleyes:

In the Kitchen said:
This information is priceless to me. Since I am the only one who wants to drink vodka martini, no one comments about what I drink. I have to save this thread with all the special suggestions (of course before midnight NewYear's) and try each one. I failed to count how many different vodkas were mentioned here. Gin has given me headache so I shy away from it. also putting vodka in freezer really sounds like a good hint. I am so thankful you all commented. Helps me to understand what is best. It is truly overwhelming when I go to my grocery store. Just can't believe what selection they have at a grocery store and would you believe the shelves are usually almost empty? It truly surprises me how different everyone lives. That used to be the only aisle I didn't go down. Now only aisle I have to spend most time. Like finding another part of life! And not getting headache? I know Oprah really like vodka. Maybe you don't gain weight when you drink it?

Try EACH one? Not in the same night, I hope ....:ROFLMAO: :sick: :ohmy:

As far as vodka, Grey Goose is a good choice, IMO. But there are bazillions on the market now.

I love Grey Goose as well, but I usually can not justify spending that much on a bottle. Instead I will usually buy Ketel One. I pay about $10 less for that than GG and I find it to be very good.

i can vouch for the one pete mentioned, and ronjohn has spoken of before, luksusowa. i like it as cold as possible, served with olives, pickles and prosciutto on the side.
dw likes it in an apple martini, or a cosmo.

Apple or Cosmo?

luksusowa. I don't even know how to pronouce this one. Supposed to be good? Could you give me some idea of price range or does that matter to you? I once asked this guy how much something he had in his cart was and he said he didn't care! My type of man. Just knows what he wants and buys it. I have heard people on tv talk about cosmo but never apple. Is it apple juice? what is cosmo made with? Getting education here.

I would like to try everything in same night just to find out which one is best but headache or not I will try in moderation. Just kind of anxious since I first started talking about it. Glad I did. Always felt shy about asking. I think I am starting to develop a side of me I never had.

I never saw someone on tv have the vodka in the freezer. You don't think it will not break?

Nope the vodka in the freezer will not break. I used to keep in in there all the time, but I have since found my martinis to be better if I do not do that.

Alcohol has a much lower freezing point than water so it will not freeze in the home freezers. It will get very cold and gets a little thick (almost syrupy).

itk, a bottle of vodka lasts forever in my house, so i don't remember how much it was. i think it's pronounced look-soo-soh-va
as far as cosmopolitans, or apple martinis goes, they'll give you a headache if you have enough.

an apple martini is really a vodka drink, served in a martini glass. it's not really a martini, as auntdot said. it's equal parts vodka and apple schnapps, shaken over ice. if you add something like sour mix or lemon juice, and use a citrus vodka, you have a sour apple martini, also known as a green apple martini.
serve in a martini glass with a thin slice of granny smith apple.

a cosmopolitan is another vodka drink, usually made with 4 parts citrus vodka, 2 parts cointreau or triple sec, 2 parts cranberry juice, 1 part lime juice, also shaken over ice. serve in a martini glass, with a thin slice of lime or lemon.

Sounds Good

Thanks for the recipes of different martinis? Bet this makes your dw happy when you take the time to fix them for her. I feel blessed to have such dear friends who consider my shortcomings. I do wish I could give one a try now but still returning gifts that wouldn't fit. I really think the sizes are not made the way they used to be. Since everything overseas they go by their size not ours. Pants fit in the waist but not the length, only item I don't feel waste of time were the CD's. I picked the ones I liked and they don't. At least I can look forward to trying my vodka. Should I or shouldn't I put in the freezer? Such decisions one has to make. Thanks all for the time.

the freezer, without a doubt. it will get frosty looking, but as gb said, it will not freeze solid or break the bottle.

GG vodka is great, I agree.

A nice alternative which isn't quite as expensive is Kettle One. It's super smooth and just as tasty on the rocks as it is in a mixed drink or a dirty (yummmmm) martini.

:heart:
Z

Olives Onions

Why do they put olives and onions in drinks? Does it give it some kind of flavor? Local paper suggested putting onions in freezer on parchment paper to keep in plastic bag for later use. GB and Zereh agree about the vodkas they drink. Has anyone tried one called Stolies? Some guy recommended I try that when I was in store. I just appreciate not having to look forward to headache when I drink martini. Will stick with vodka for 'health' benefits!

itk, stoli is a russian vodka, probably the most popular one, called stolichnaya. also a very good vodka.

buckytom

Thanks for info. I can always count on your knowledge to assure me of what I want. You seem to have tried them all! what do you put in your martini olives or onions? Do you really have to have them? I just was putting in ice but now have vodka in the freezer.

buckytom said:
most people of the opposite sex look a lot thinner, and are much better looking when they drink vodka...:rolleyes:

And... their IQ seems to improve. :rolleyes:

I don't have tee many martoonies anymore, but I like 'em with pepper vodka the best. Have no idea if there's a "good" brand of that stuff.

mudbug said:
I don't have tee many martoonies anymore, but I like 'em with pepper vodka the best. Have no idea if there's a "good" brand of that stuff.
You could always make your own :chef:

OK a funny (well not at the time) story about pepper vodka. I was about 10 or so and we went to visit close friends in NY. My parents brought a bottle of pepper vodka as a gift for our friends. The kids all went to bed and the parents stayed up in the kitchen talking. Well the kids decided to play truth or dare and one of the dares had something to do with going downstairs and doing something stupid in front of the parents. So we go down and whoever was supposed to do their thing did it. The parents thought it was hilarious. Little did we know at the time that they probably were a little drunk, but we were young and didn't know any better. Anyway they were drinking what I thought was water. I asked dad for a sip cause I was thirsty. He handed me his glass and I took a nice gulp. My throat was on FIRE. The parents all were laughing so hard. Of course you can guess by now that they were not drinking water. Man was that stuff hot. Now I know they were drunk because they never would have done something like that sober :LOL:

OK back on topic, ITK the olive or onion or whatever else you use is more of a garnish than anything else. If I just use an olive without any of the brine then I do not taste a difference between on with and one without. If you don't want to use them then your drink won't suffer. It is sort of like that little piece of parsley on your plate in the restaurant. I do enjoy eating the olive when I get to the end of the drink though :)

Thanks

GB, you sure have your share of personal experience. Never heard of 'pepper' vodka. I will just ignore the suggestion of onion or olive and try the different suggestions here. As i said before, like opening different world to me. Thanks

Wow, I get busy around the house (and didn't really have a PC since Santa brought me a new hard drive, and since I had the hood up, I just COULDN'T only put in the new drive...), and the wodka thread keeps on rolling!

I usually have anywhere from 5-8 different vodkas in the house - I think it has something to do with Polish tradition... :ROFLMAO:

Right now there's:

Vincent van Gough vodka (not bad...)
Luksusowa
Bellevedere (Very good, and from Poland!)
Another Polish vodka, but the name eludes me - it's a rye vodka - quite good.
Absolute
Absolute Citron
And there may be some Stoli left, I'm not sure...

Speaking of high end vodkas, has anyone ever caught the Mythbusters on Discovery? They had one episode where they filtered a cheap vodka (Probably Mowhawk or Popov) through a water filter - one of those charcoal ones like Brita. I think they filtered it 3 times. In a blind test, they couldn't tell the difference between a high end vodka and the filtered stuff!

John

Back
Top Bottom