What is your beer I.Q.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niquejim

Senior Cook
Margi's wine post made me realise that most people don't know that there are many different styles of beer and many are as good, if not better, than wine for your dinner.. Especially the cheese and dessert courses

Yep. I am fond of a high hop rate. Mrs. Hoot, however, thinks the beer I like is vile.
I reckon tastes in beer is every bit as subjective as tastes in wine, or whiskey, for that matter.

I'm not sure about many kinds, but I do know when comes for my beer. German -Dark, Chech - Light

My beer IQ isn't very high. I'm not very fond of beer, but it can be good once in a while. I tend to like red beers or dark ones, but not Guinness. ptui.

Mrs Hoot says the very same thing! :LOL:

I find Guinness to be an outstanding ale. I have noticed recently that there is Guinness Black Lager residing in the cooler at our local grocery. I will have to give it a try soon.
I like a good IPA and am fond of Negro Modelo, even though it is not very hoppy.

I have no beer I.Q. either...I do buy good stuff for Shrek, he likes the darker ales and microbrews.

Mrs Hoot says the very same thing! :LOL:

I find Guinness to be an outstanding ale. I have noticed recently that there is Guinness Black Lager residing in the cooler at our local grocery. I will have to give it a try soon.
I like a good IPA and am fond of Negro Modelo, even though it is not very hoppy.
I have friends who love the stuff. I hear it's quite different in the UK. I like one type of IPA (only one I have tried), Alexander Keith's IPA.

Viking Beer, made in Iceland, is really nice, especially for a blonde. It doesn't travel well. :(

I don't like the hoppy flavour.

I really like Heineken on draft. Especially when I'm sitting at a bar in Amsterdam. Just don't go behind the train station. If you're into people watching, a "Coffee Bar" will entertain you for quite awhile!:rolleyes:

In the US, I am really partial to Abita Brewing Co's products, from Abita Springs, LA.

Last edited:
We grow wine grapes but that doesn't keep us from enjoying a bottle of beer with certain meals... Chinese, Mexican or Pizza require beer accordingly.

Here's one of my beer dinners
First: Tuna sashimi with daikon radish, fresh grated ginger and a soy dipping sauce. Beer---Unibroue-Blanche de Chambly

Second: Pan seared scallops on a bacon/mushroom/onion stuffed mini bell pepper and fried mushrooms. Beer---Fuller's- London Pride

Third: Grilled mango and crispy baked prosciutto with herb ricotta and mango coulis. Beer---Weihenstephaner- Original

Fourth: Parmesan polenta and shrimp with pineapple habanero sauce. Beer--- Unibroue- La Fin du Monde

Fifth: Seasoned ground lamb skewers with cucumber mint couscous and cucumber yogurt dipping sauce. Beer---Brouwerij Verhaeghe- Duchesse de Bourgogne

Sixth: Wagyu beef tenderloin with porcini/portabella mushroom risotto. Beer---Wychwood's- Hobgoblin

Seventh: 3 Year aged Blue Stilton, 2 year aged French Comte, 3 year aged Australian white cheddar, some curry cashews and 3 year aged Parmesan with a drizzle of maple syrup. Beer--- Flying Dog- Gonzo Imperial Porter

Eighth: Crème Brule in a sugar cookie tartlets on a bed of mixed berry compote. Beer--- Rogue- Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout

niquejim said:
Here's one of my beer dinners
First: Tuna sashimi with daikon radish, fresh grated ginger and a soy dipping sauce. Beer---Unibroue-Blanche de Chambly

Second: Pan seared scallops on a bacon/mushroom/onion stuffed mini bell pepper and fried mushrooms. Beer---Fuller's- London Pride

Third: Grilled mango and crispy baked prosciutto with herb ricotta and mango coulis. Beer---Weihenstephaner- Original

Fourth: Parmesan polenta and shrimp with pineapple habanero sauce. Beer--- Unibroue- La Fin du Monde

Fifth: Seasoned ground lamb skewers with cucumber mint couscous and cucumber yogurt dipping sauce. Beer---Brouwerij Verhaeghe- Duchesse de Bourgogne

Sixth: Wagyu beef tenderloin with porcini/portabella mushroom risotto. Beer---Wychwood's- Hobgoblin

Seventh: 3 Year aged Blue Stilton, 2 year aged French Comte, 3 year aged Australian white cheddar, some curry cashews and 3 year aged Parmesan with a drizzle of maple syrup. Beer--- Flying Dog- Gonzo Imperial Porter

Eighth: Crème Brule in a sugar cookie tartlets on a bed of mixed berry compote. Beer--- Rogue- Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Wow. That sounds fantastic, Niquejim!

Not much for beer, though an ice cold Corona on a Mexican beach is wonderful with some fish tacos and/or ceviche. Heinekin tasted outstanding in Dutch St. Maartin with just about anything!

Last edited:
my fav beers/lagers would be:
asian dishes-tsingtao,singha & sapporo
bbq/roasts-elbow build a rocket boys ale
casseroles/stews-theakstons old peculiar
charcuterie-peroni gran riserva/brewdog punk ipa(ice cold)
fish/seafood-peroni,birra moretti,messina,san miguel(ice cold)
talking about brewdog,they are a scottish ipa brewery formed in 2007 by a couple of guy's in their 20's to challenge conventionality they brew the strongest ale in the world -brewdogs triple frozen "tactical nuclear penguin" 32%abv(similar strength to your average scotch/gin etc)
BrewDog Warning

skulls_397.gif

This is an extremely strong beer, it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance. In exactly the same manner that you would enjoy a fine whisky, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost.
Punk Ipa:
This is not a lowest common denominator beer.
This is an aggressive beer.
We don't care if you don't like it.
We do not merely aspire to the proclaimed heady heights of conformity through neutrality and blandness.
It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate the depth, character and quality of this premium craft brewed beer.
You probably don't even care that this rebellious little beer contains no preservatives or additives and uses only the finest fresh natural ingredients.
Just go back to drinking your mass marketed, bland, cheaply made watered down lager, and close the door behind you.
BrewDog: Beer for Punks.
BrewDog is about breaking rules, taking risks, upsetting trends and unsettling institutions but first and foremost, great tasting beer.
i'll drink to that lads:cool:!

BrewDog UK | Scottish Craft Beer Company

Last edited:
LOL The disclaimer on the Punk IPA is reminiscent of a similar disclaimer found on Arrogant Bast**d Ale made by Stone Brewing in California. They produce some mighty good ale as does Rogue Brewing in Oregon, the makers of Dead Guy Ale (and many others).
I wonder...Do you reckon it is available on this side of the Atlantic?

Niquejim: Knowledgeable & Super Post

Buon Giorno,

Firstly, though I find my palate affinities via the grapevine, there are some cuisines that pair with Beer that I enjoy too ...

Mexican for example: Mexican Black Beer, for eg: Cerveza Negra Molido and Dos Equis Dark :yum: ...

German Würsts : St. Paulie Girl Black Beer

UK Pub : There are several that Harry mentioned that I have had when we have spent wkends in the UK ...

Irish Pub Grub : Guiness Stout and Red Kilkenny

Indian : a chilled Indian blonde beer is a refreshing accompaniment to vindaloo !

Spanish Tapas: St. Miguel, Mahou Black or Gallega

Desserts: Belgian Semi sweet varieties ... ( Lovely with a fresh Lime drizzled ) ...

I had written an article about ales, beers / lagers ( the subtle differences between these terms ) and stouts ... When I was last in the UK, we had gone to a couple of breweries ... Very interesting ...

I shall see if I can dig up the ones, we had taste tested during the last flight over and write a 2nd post for all to read.

Have nice wkend.
Margi. :yum:

LOL The disclaimer on the Punk IPA is reminiscent of a similar disclaimer found on Arrogant Bast**d Ale made by Stone Brewing in California. They produce some mighty good ale as does Rogue Brewing in Oregon, the makers of Dead Guy Ale (and many others).
I wonder...Do you reckon it is available on this side of the Atlantic?
nice one hoot!they export to 27 countries so i guess the us must be one of them.asda & tesco stock brewdog & as asda is owned by wallmart & there are a few tesco's your side then maybe,just maybe hoot.......
if not it's a damn good reason for a trip over this side of the pond;)!

Dislike beers like- American Budweiser & Pabst, wheat beers, Peroni, and Corona.
Enjoy beers like- Sam Adams Boston Lager, many British ales, Labatt Blue, Troegenator, Paulaner Salvator, and Kulmbacher Mönchshof.
I prefer draught beer over bottled and bottled over canned, but the draught beer must either be drawn from a tap that is properly maintained or, better yet, directly from the keg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom