What wine goes best with corned beef??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VickiQ

Sous Chef
I'm a little embarrased:blush: to ask this question but, I have too-I'm having 10 people over for an early St Pat's day dinner on Sat and not everyone drinks beer.We'll be having the usual sides- cabbage, potatoes,carrots and soda bread and probably another green veggie.Thanks for your help!!!Love and energy, Vicki:-p

Pinot Gris (W) Beaujolias (R) Pinot Noir (R) stick with these light bodied wines so they don't overpower the corned beef. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much Chef Jimmy- I was wondering if maybe a Reisling might do as well- I wanted to get two types of white and two reds for variety.BTW LOVE the cookingspot!!!!

A reisling or gewerstraminer that is slightly sweet will work very well with this salty meat.

a light, floral german white would work well imo, vickiq.
i prefer sweeter ones to go with salty or spicy foods.

Reisling will be fine. Keep in mind for future reference, reisling is a perfect

why is everybody over there so nuts about Riesling?? It must be a marketing phenomen....

to corned beef I would serve a medium dry to dry red wine.... over here in Germany I would go for a Trollinger or Lemberger.. or maybe a Dornfelder

cara said:
why is everybody over there so nuts about Riesling?? It must be a marketing phenomen...

I don't think it's a marketing phemonenom. Reisling is not a very popular wine in the USA. It's just that the slight sweetness of a reisling compliments salty or spicy foods. Reisling also works well with ham.

Thanks for all the great input.I was just speaking with my 18 year old daughter who is at college but will be home on Saturday. I was discussing the menu with her and she said quite proudly- I'll make jello shots!!!:shock: While I know she has been introduced to them and I also know she was voted best jello shot maker in her dorm- I'm not too sure her father would be too thrilled with this :mad: and I am not too happy this is the only recipe she knows!!!!:ohmy: I think I'm going to have to "test" those winesI pick up at the liquor store tomorrow before she gets home!!!:whistling Thanks again- Love and energy, Vicki

we're just nuts, period cara.

vickiq, look for a reisling called a piesporter, my favourite being piesporter goldtropfchen.

Thanks BuckyTom- I wrote that one down on my shopping list- I'm still laughing at my daughter's wanted contribution:LOL:

Although I know this suggestion is coming "late to the party", but although they're not much in favor these days, I'd think a rose' wouldn't be too amiss with corned beef either. Something like a White Zinfandel, etc. Heck, even good old slightly bubbly Lancers wouldn't be bad.

Back
Top Bottom