What wine to serve for Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
Unfortunately, I will not be hosting Turkey Day this year. However, I have been charged with supplying the wine. I have always felt that I shouldn't have to drink red wine with red meat and white wine with fish, etc. I prefer to drink what I like with whatever meal I like. I have been told to get both red and white wine. I plan on getting 4 bottles of red and 2 of white since most of my family prefers red. What wine should I look for, specifically. You can even narrow it down to the name and vintage if you like. The more detailed you are the easier it is for me. I know most of the family prefers Chianti, Chiraz, and Pino Noir although we certainly don't have to stay with those types.

And, as far as dinner goes, I'm pretty sure there will be 2 turkeys, one traditional and one that will probably be jerked. Most everything else will be very traditional including stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberries, etc.

Well, hooray for Thanksgiving and for all the wine that it involves! Sauvignon blanc is a great "turkey" wine (I can't think of a favorite). And we've just discovered a delightful little red - it's called "Jest Red" - kind of silly and fun, but it doesn't go "south in the mouth." There's no after-taste and we simply have not gotten tired of it - I think it's the best red I've ever had-cheap, too. It's just labeled a California table wine. OK, those are my two ideas - I'm sure you'll be inundated with favorites!

For reds, I'd go with a pinot noir or red zinfandel. They both have an extremely wide range of prices for very good wines.

For whites, I also like a sauvignon blanc but a buttery chardonnay is also a good choice. The same price comments as above apply.

For a French wine, a Cotes de Rhone or Chateau Neuf du Pape (reds).

I'd agree with Andy about the Pinot Noir. I think it goes very well with poultry. I am a sucker for a good chianti classico or super tuscan, but that's just me. I'd think you'd want to avoid anything big and tannic.

I have heard that this year's Beaujolais Nouveau is one of the best in recent years (though I have not had any yet). Some people like it, others don't but it's a nice light red.

I'd suggest a pino grigio or sauvignon blanc or a dry reisling for the white. Though a lot of people who like oaked wine love a buttery, oaky chard with poultry. I think those California chards can be so oaky you can hardly taste the food for it.

Jenny,

I've not heard about this years, and I haven't had a chance to try any yet :( , but the last few have been great thanks to the bad weather in Europe. (Somehow it just doesn't feel right saying that)

The heat helps concentrate the flavors in the grapes.

John

(It is, of course, also very possible to have bad weather that harms the grapes)

jennyema said:
...I think those California chards can be so oaky you can hardly taste the food for it.

I agree. I prefer unoaked chards. The Australians have some good ones. A very good, cheap Australian chard is Lindemann's Bin 65. It's generally avaialble for less than $10. a bottle.

Ronjohn

Like I said, I haven't tried any ... yet ... (thinking about picking up a bottle tonight now)

But here are a few reviews for the 2005. You have to pick and choose the google listings to find the actual wine reviews .... sorry.

Andy --- will look for the Lindeman's. Where do you usually find it?

The Charles Melton Rose is a nice wine. And I agree that an unoaked white may be better with white meats, however seeing that one bird will be jerked a hearty red would stand up well. Go to your local wine store and ask them as well, they are an excellent source for their inventory. Enjoy the day!

jennyema said:
...Andy --- will look for the Lindeman's. Where do you usually find it?

Pretty much in any decent package store or wine shop. It's pretty widespread. Look in the Australian wines section.

Here Here for the Pinot! Coming from Oregon where the Pinot Noir is King, I have to say really, any of the Oregon reds are good. I'm not sure the selection you have at the ready for you Home Chef but I would suggest the following ...

* Big Fire, Pinot Noir by R. Stewart (OR) ... OK, the name got me to taste and the taste got me to buy again!!
* Jest Red, Table Red (CA) ... their Jest White rocks as well
* Cab / Merlot blend, Columbia Crest (OR)
* Big House Red, Table Red (CA) ... again, their table White is great!
* Red Truck, Table Red, themakerisonthetipofmytongue - ugh (CA) ... again picked up because of the label but will buy in bulk because of the taste.

Enjoy!

Just the thread I needed! DH is the wine buff of the family - I'm strictly a cheapo boxed Sangria sort of person (much to DH's disgust - but good wine always gives me a hangover). Anyway, he's in Spain on business at the moment, and won't arrive home until late Wednesday night - so I guess it's going to be up to me to get the wine for Thanksgiving Dinner, and I KNOW that dh will NOT be impressed if I serve up cheap plonk, so thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Paint.

Back
Top Bottom