What's your favourite cocktail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
I don't know that I can limit this to just one favourite. Yes, giving it further thought, I am quite convinced I cannot do it. Given that I am the author of this thread please permit me to indulge myself by listing all the current favourites. I must insist........

You, in turn, may do the same!

Cheers

Dark and Stormy - must be made with Gossling's Rum and ginger beer
Mojito - **** that mint always gets caught in the teeth!
Sazerac - yes, I have authentic absinthe for it!
Bourbon sidecar - reminds me of lemonade for sailors
Rob Roy - I'll only drink them between Thanksgiving and Easter (it's tradition)
Martini - always with a twist, and lately with blueberry stoli

Okay, your turn...

Gotta say Dark And Stormy, I am a Bermuda Native! I am glad to see someone else post it!

A close second:
Blood Oranage Cosmo.

Stoli(yet again)Oarange
Cointreu
Blood Oarange Juice
twist of lime juice
and a thin sliced wheel to float on top.

I also love a refreshing Gin and Tonic, with lots of lime, or a slice of watermelon.

Mojitos are a winner.

Pomagranet margaritas are to die for too.

Last edited:
Kaluha and cream.
Hot chocolate with kaluha or Bailys Irish cream
Peach or Strawberry Daiquiri
Tequila sunrises

I love sweet fruity girly drinks.

Havent had any of these in years, but I liked gin and tonic (with beefeaters gin) and a twist of lime, and also margaritas with salt on the rim and not frozen.

You Mojito lovers: Have you had a Caipirinha?

Several years back (actually almost 15 years ago, I'm realizing) I spent a lot of time trying to find all the ingredients for a Pousse Café, two of the components of which are Yellow and Green Chartreuse. NONE of the local liquor stores carried it (Memphis, TN, USA). Now they all do... I believe it's because I asked for it so frequently. hah.

The reason for the search is a romantic one. My mother died when I was born, and I met my mother's sister for the first time when I was an adult; my older sister and I went together to New York to meet her. It was a great time, and one of the many stories she told us about our mother was that she always ordered that cocktail when they went out. I was determined to try it, and shocked to find that the Chartreuse wasn't easy to find when I got back home to Tennessee. It's a beautiful concoction, but hard to believe someone enjoys drinking them frequently!

Last edited:
I clicked and clicked, but the Caipirinha wouldn't open for me.
So I googled it and here's what I got:

banned.gif
2 tsp superfine sugar
1 lime cut into small wedges
2 to 2 1/2 oz Cachaca (see below)

In a glass gently mash lime wedges. Add sugar and muddle until dissolved into lime juice. Add ice. Pour Cachaca, stir.

Submitted by Barry. Caipirinha translates to "peasant's drink." It is also refered to the cocktail that replaced the malaria shot.
Editor's note: Cachaca is a Brazilian cane sugar liquor that supposedly can be approximated by mixing equal parts silver tequila and light rum if not available.

and here's your special one:

banned.gif
1/6 oz grenadine1/6 oz yellow chartreuse
1/6 oz creme de yvette
1/6 oz green creme de menthe
1/6 oz green chartreuse
1/6 oz brandy

Layer ingredients carefully, in order given, into pousse cafe glass so each ingredient floats on the preceding one. Do not mix.

wow! I've never even heard of a couple of those ingreds!
Now I need to hunt these things down! To the bev-mo I go!

Oh, sorry - I highlighted the names to stand out, not meant for links-- that's confusing and will undo it.

Thanks for posting the recipes!

The pousse café recipe I used had Crème de Cassis instead of Crème dYvette.. The layers were:
Grenadine
Chartreuse (Yellow)
Crème de Cassis
Crème de Menthe (White)
Chartreuse (White)
Brandy
I learned at that time that there are several many pousse café variations - and even a glass by that time to pour them up into.

I really should....

put some clothes on and go to work and stop talking about booze.

Is it Friday yet???

Sharon, cool story, I like to see a person who never gives up. I recently saw a recipe for that drink in one of the cooking mags I get. Cannot recall which one..

Alright, I'm going to work now...%@#$#&&^%$!

I like the fruity&sweet,

Pina Coladas and Strawberry Daiquiri are two of my faves.

Occasionally I could go for a bit of Screw Driver or Salty Dog.

My preferred tipple is a good, strong gin and tonic - must be made with Bombay Sapphire gin. Chilled low-sugar tonic water and a good squirt of fresh lime juice - but NO ICE!

I also enjoy a whisky sour occasionally

TATTRAT said:
Gotta say Dark And Stormy, I am a Bermuda Native! I am glad to see someone else post it!

i had a great night, then a terrible morning in bermuda after a few authentic dark and stormys. black seal rum is delicious, and deadly.

been working on a marinade for pork chops that includes gosling's (and sweet sherry, bay, and garlic).

to get back on topic: i'm not much of a cocktail drinker, but i make mean cosmos and appletinis, as per dw. they were so good that i got a son out of it...

Back
Top Bottom