Apple Juice vs. Cider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Ok, does anyone else know what the difference is? I just bought a gallon of Cider a couple days ago. I love the stuff, but I can obviously tell it's not the same as apple juice. Is commercial apple juice filtered, or is there something else going on?

I found this at Yahoo:

"In the United States, apple cider refers to the unprocessed liquid that you get from apples. The apples are washed, cut, and ground into mash before being pressed. The resulting cider usually contains apple pulp and is dark, brown, and cloudy. The beverage is perishable and must be refrigerated. If this liquid is filtered and further processed, the resulting product is apple juice, which has a longer shelf life than cider.

In England, apple cider is an alcoholic beverage that is produced when the juice from freshly pressed apples is allowed to ferment. It's sometimes referred to as 'hard cider'."

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
I found this at Yahoo:

"In the United States, apple cider refers to the unprocessed liquid that you get from apples. The apples are washed, cut, and ground into mash before being pressed. The resulting cider usually contains apple pulp and is dark, brown, and cloudy. The beverage is perishable and must be refrigerated. If this liquid is filtered and further processed, the resulting product is apple juice, which has a longer shelf life than cider.

In England, apple cider is an alcoholic beverage that is produced when the juice from freshly pressed apples is allowed to ferment. It's sometimes referred to as 'hard cider'."

:) Barbara

I love the hard stuff. My dad is from England. I guess that explains everything. :LOL:

Yep Bangbang, the hard cider in Britain is really good (although they just call it cider).

Most pubs in England and Scotland will have cider on tap (it has the alcohol content of a strong beer), if not, they certainly have some in bottles.

The stuff on tap is generally sold in pints, or halves, and costs about the same as the bitter.

Have found the domestic stuff in bottles, in grocery or liquor stores, in a few places in the country, and most, but not all of it is good.

Can make it easily yourself if you can find the freshly crushed cider at a farm stand or grocery store, you know the stuff you buy in the plastic jugs. But it cannot contain preservatives.

You can do it without any fancy brewing equipment, like fermentation locks. Just take out some of the cider (a small glassfull), dissolve in some sugar, and pour the solution back in.

Put the jug in a fridge with the top screwed down loosely (to let the carbon dioxide gas, produced from the natural yeast, escape), and let sit for two months or so.

The stuff by Christmas will be clear and have a bit of carbonation.

But you have to read the ingredients to make sure there are no preservatives (anything on the label that sounds like a chemical, probably is.)

The only other way is to crush your own apples, which I am becoming tempted to do.

The stuff is that good.

auntdot said:
Yep Bangbang, the hard cider in Britain is really good (although they just call it cider).

Most pubs in England and Scotland will have cider on tap (it has the alcohol content of a strong beer), if not, they certainly have some in bottles.

The stuff on tap is generally sold in pints, or halves, and costs about the same as the bitter.

Have found the domestic stuff in bottles, in grocery or liquor stores, in a few places in the country, and most, but not all of it is good.

Can make it easily yourself if you can find the freshly crushed cider at a farm stand or grocery store, you know the stuff you buy in the plastic jugs. But it cannot contain preservatives.

You can do it without any fancy brewing equipment, like fermentation locks. Just take out some of the cider (a small glassfull), dissolve in some sugar, and pour the solution back in.

Put the jug in a fridge with the top screwed down loosely (to let the carbon dioxide gas, produced from the natural yeast, escape), and let sit for two months or so.

The stuff by Christmas will be clear and have a bit of carbonation.

But you have to read the ingredients to make sure there are no preservatives (anything on the label that sounds like a chemical, probably is.)

The only other way is to crush your own apples, which I am becoming tempted to do.

The stuff is that good.

I have made it using the fresh cider. I love this stuff.

Speaking of apples.. I'm going to an apple festival this weekend in the town I'm moving to. I love going to things like that.. great food.. neat events, and homemade crafts... I might find somemore cookbooks!!!.. like I really need more.. lol

Back
Top Bottom