Brands of Coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if anyone remembers Postum, but I have been drinking it for years. Now all of a sudden no stores in town are selling it. :glare:

It's Starbucks here. DH makes the lattes with Starbucks vanilla and caramel syrups and milk. I occasionally have Foldgers Breakfast blend since it's very mild and versatile. I can add vanilla and cinnamon flavors to change it a bit.

I've tried Millstone , Hawaiian from Sam's club, didn't care for either of them. I find Gevalia is the smoothest coffee for me.

We like Millstone Columbian Supremo (whole beans). It's rich but not bitter.

Just bought a bag of Kirkland Columbian Supremo beans. Interested in seeing how they taste.

I don't know if anyone remembers Postum, but I have been drinking it for years. Now all of a sudden no stores in town are selling it. :glare:

I read somewhere that they stopped making Postum.

I have been drinking Seattle's Best Henry's brand lately and Target (Archer Farms) Kenyan AA. I don't have a brand that I am loyal to as I like to dabble with different types.

There are many good brands and blends of coffee out there. There is no doubt starbucks has a unique roasting method that not any other brand I've found will equal, if you like that particular starbucks flavor. However, there are MANY varieties I actually prefer over starbucks.

One note however, freshness is key to a good cup of coffee, well that and brewing temperture. One thing to remember is that after coffee is ground, it should really be brewed as soon as possible. Ground coffee is comparible to a cut apple (just harder because you cant SEE it happening). Once coffee is ground, you have about 15 minutes before oxidation sets in, and starts tainting the flavor of the coffee, just like an apple starting to turn brown.

The other thing is temperature. To get THE best cup, coffee should be brewed at between 195 and 200 degrees F. And also the brew process should take approx 3 min from first water contact to last flow of water. This ensures the oils and flavors of the coffee are properly extracted, so a decent coffee maker does make a difference if care was put into the design of the brew process, and not only the looks of the exterior of the machine.

It does get alot more complicated than this, but thats a good start. Get a grinder, grind your own, get the freshest coffee possible, and you might find you can get a much better cup of coffee right at home, than starbucks can do anytime.

Have fun!

And get a Chemex brewer, Aero press brewer, French press, Moka pot, et al and get crazy. :ROFLMAO: Hmmm, Maybe that is why I don't seem to have a standard brand.

I probably missed many choices. Only by being forgetful. Coffee time is play time. :-p

We like several of the Cosco roasts including the Columbian, the Guatemalan, and the green bag roasted by Starbucks. Also have a chef friend who roasts his own and is always passing some on to me in exchange for my deer jerky.

I have to say I have been drinking 8'oclock coffee from A&P for years and really love it. When I have company over, they always ask what kind of coffee it and that they love it.

I have to say I have been drinking 8'oclock coffee from A&P for years and really love it. When I have company over, they always ask what kind of coffee it and that they love it.

ARen't you something? My mother loved that coffee too! Just gave me idea to go get some. Since that brand has been around so long, so many people must think the same way you do. Thank you so very much. Oh, I considered her opinion as tops. She could really cook too. All she did most of her life. Worked in home for wealthy people when she first moved to city from the farm.

Postum is not coffee. It's a coffee substitute, made from wheat, bran, molasses and corn syrup solids. I understand it was quite popular during World War II, when transportation of coffee beans was a bit difficult.

There are two types of coffee beans: Robusto and Arabica. The aribica beans are the good, expensive ones, which companies like Starbucks, Gevalia, and Peets roast to make their coffees, and charge you $10 to $14 a pound for. The robusto beans are much cheaper and they're used by Folgers, Maxwell House, Chase & Sanborn, Yuban, and Chock Full O' Nuts to make their coffees, and charge you 3 or 4 bucks a pound for.

Last edited:
I didn't even know there were still A&Ps around any more. I can remember going to the A&P with my father on Saturdays when I was but a mere child to do the grocery shopping, and the whole place always smelled from the coffee, which you bought in whole bean form and fed through the huge grinder right in the store.

After shooping we'd rush home to watch Red Ryder on television. You betchem, Red Ryder!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom