Coca Cola Blak...Have You Tried It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Has anyone tried this new Coke product? It is (as far as I can tell) a combo of Coke and coffee. I am curious what it tastes like, but I have only seen it in a 4 pack, with no price, and I am guessing I won't like it so I don't want to waste $ on something I am going to throw out. Has anyone tasted it yet? What did you think?

You're kidding right? Coke and coffee? EWWW! While I admit those are two of my favorite things, I can't see them together.

Yeah I am kind of sceptical as well, but curious none the less. I came so close to buying the 4 pack, but knew I would regret it if I did.

I think it would be more aptly named Coke BLECH! I dare you to try it and offer a review GB. Surely if you can find it in a 4 pack some convenience store will have a single you could try? A local Quickie mart?

I thought the same thing so I went to the two local quicky mart type places by my house. Neither had it. They did have the new Black Cherry Vanilla Coke which I had not tried yet so I got a bottle of that. It was as bad as I expected.

I will not give up looking for a single of the Blak and will certainly write a review here when I do.

As far as I know, it's not coffee and coca cola mixed together. It's coffee flavoured coca cola. Still though, I cant really imagine it tasting too good.

I'm in Canada and it hasnt been released here yet (I think it'll be here in 6 months or so) but I have read reviews of it and most people say it tastes sort of vanilly and coffee-esque, but mostly like cola.

http://www.bevnet.com/members/reviews/viewreviews.asp?product_id=3058

GB- I have tried the black cherry vanilla diet coke and love it! Now THAT is a good combination.

I'm in agreement with you about the Black Cherry Vanilla coke. YUCK! Tastes like cough medicine to me. My daughter likes it though so we may end up buying it again at some point in the future.

I think I am a purist. To me Coke Classic is IT! I like the stuff with lime occasionally too but other than that forget it. No vanilla, no cherry, no other stuff.

Yeah I am a purist too Alix. Every 5 years or so I might have a cherry coke, but it really is that rare for me.

Yes grumblebee you are absolutely right. There is no real coffee in it. It is just a coffee flavor.

I Bought Some!

I bought only two at safeway, for 50 cents a piece. I didn't try it because I don't like coke but my hubby tried it and said it tasted like you took a cup of coffee and took a sip and then took a bottle of coke and took a sip, like a 50/50 mix. He said it isn't that bad, he plans to buy one every now and then.

MM that is such great news!!! Congrats!!!

Marishka thanks for that info. I wish I could find it for 50 cents. I would certainly give it a try then :)

GB and Grumblebee - sorry for the confusion but I am not pregnant, I meant I haven't had caffeine since I found out I was pregnant in 2003! Whew - hope I didn't cause a rumor:cool: ! I get a caffeine high off of decaf now!

Ohhhhhhhh :LOL: Well then I take my congrats back :-p

Actually no, I am giving you the congrats again for quitting caffeine. I did that a while back as well so I know how hard it can be. I feel so much better now that I am (relatively) caffeine free. I actually find it so much easier to wake up in the morning believe it or not.

My dad started carrying it at his store recently so we had to try it ... Like Marishka said, it tastes like a 50/50 mix. I didn't think it was too bad. A little sweet but overall, kind of good - interesting combo and interesting taste. The cola isn't real strong and the coffee isn't over powering. I would buy it again ... it might actually be good with some type of liquore as an after dinner drink. Some sort of version of a black russian perhaps?

I was worried about it being too sweet. Anytime they come out with these flavors that seems to be the case.

Alix said:
I think I am a purist. To me Coke Classic is IT! I like the stuff with lime occasionally too but other than that forget it. No vanilla, no cherry, no other stuff.

I'm with you, Alix. I don't drink much of the stuff anymore, but when I do, it's gotta be the old standby.

geebs, we have been trying to drink decaf here and it's killing me. Don't think I'm gonna be able to do it. I usually only have a couple of cups a day anyway (unlike some Canadians I know), so I'm not gonna feel bad about it.

SO and I were out for a drive today and stopped at a rest area on the Mass pike. Went into the Tigermart for a cold drink and saw the Blak. I had to try it. $1.59 for the 8 oz. bottle.

It still had the crispness of classic coke with a taste of coffee. There was a background sweetness to it that I didn't find objectionable.

It's definitely worth a try.

Am I ever cornfused (live in the toolies, so it is cornfused).

First of all never heard of Blak. But then again am a bit out of touch with modern trends (Is Ike still the president? And why did they ever take Ozzie and Harriet off the TV?).

But as a dutiful DCer Googled and found the Coke press release about the stuff.

They don't call it Blak, they call it, well, I cannot type it on my machine (am very computer illiterate).

They put a mark, I believe it is called a diacritical mark, a pronunciation thingy, that is sort of a hyphen over the 'a' in Blak (think it is called a macron, probably was half snoozing when they covered that in school, but it is a horizontal bar over the letter).

Normally I would think that would change the pronunciation to something like 'blake', making the 'a' pronounced long.

But except for that press release, and a picture of the bottle, no one else does, or can, puts the pronunciation mark over the 'a', if that is what it is.

So I thought, like Alix, it was pronounced BLAK, and very close Alix's BLECH.

Not a good association, I would think, for a new product.

The whole thing seems a bit too complicated and cute to me, by about a half.

Would love to know how the stuff is pronounced.

Are going away for the weekend and if we find a can will give it a go.

Sounds like a loser product, but heck, Coke has never made a serious marketing mistake, have they?

auntdot said:
Coke has never made a serious marketing mistake, have they?
Actually they have. The New Coke marketing campaign was widely seen as one of (if not THE) biggest marketing fiascos ever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom