Cola Comparisons ~ Do You Have A Preference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Recently, we gave up a certain not to be named brand of Cola, for reasons that we don't need to go into.

With this said, we consumed our last can of diet ---- the other day :ermm:
I've been doing some research online for an alternative Cola.
We do like a diet version as opposed to the full sugar drinks.
On many social media groups I find that RC Cola is the new substitute,
but I can't find the diet variety here in Cowboyville :rolleyes:

I was in "Wally-World" today and saw a 12-pack of Sam's Diet Cola...
let's see?
It was okay, it doesn't quite have the same Cola punch :boxing: as ---- but I think in time we could learn to like it.
Pepsi is totally OUT of the question as far we two are concerned,
we really do not care for the flavor of it, be it regular or diet.
We don't drink a lot of Soda Pop, but with the weather starting to warm up, this leads to the consumption of more cold beverages, and we do like variety, not just Ice Water :LOL:

So this brings me to my original question:
Do you have a preference in Cola brands?

I almost never drink cola. Once every three or four years, I have some Coca Cola. If I'm having a soft drink, it's more likely to be ginger ale. My go to is club soda / seltzer. When there aren't any bubbles, I really like cold rosehip and hibiscus tea. I like it unsweetened, but some people add sugar or honey.

I like coke zero, regular or cherry. My non cola is diet ginger ale, either Canada dry zero or my local Food Lion brand diet, they taste amazingly similar.

I like Pepsi-Cola. I have been drinking Pepsi since I was old enough to put away the sippy cup and use a real glass. At this time I prefer Pepsi Max, or now known as Pepsi Zero Sugar. It tastes like Pepsi used to taste when they used real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. I can still buy Pepsi Cola made with real sugar, but it is imported from Mexico and is very pricey.

Last edited:
They try to tell us that the high fructose corn syrup doesn't change the taste. Maybe, theoretically that should be true, but I certainly notice the difference in colas.

Haven't had a cola in years.

Jeannie likes Dr Pepper but only has one when we stop for a fast food burger.
My drink is unsweetened ice tea. Always order that in restaurants but, seldom have it at home.

Ross

I only drink Coke when I have a BLT at a restaurant. They just seem to go together [emoji16] But I don't keep it at home. I drink lemonade when it's warm - full sugar because, believe it or not, my GI doctor told me to for my health! [emoji16] Sorta lucky me! [emoji256]

I only drink Coke when I have a BLT at a restaurant. They just seem to go together [emoji16] But I don't keep it at home. I drink lemonade when it's warm - full sugar because, believe it or not, my GI doctor told me to for my health! [emoji16] Sorta lucky me! [emoji256]

I'm the same way with Coke and Mexican food! I usually order water in restaurants, but in Mexican restaurants, it's gotta be coke.

I like Pepsi-Cola. I have been drinking Pepsi since I was old enough to put away the sippy cup and use a real glass. At this time I prefer Pepsi Max, or now known as Pepsi Zero Sugar. It tastes like Pepsi used to taste when they used real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. I can still buy Pepsi Cola made with real sugar, but it is imported from Mexico and is very pricey.

Isn't that Pepsi Max/Zero Sugar or whatever they are calling it, great for something without sugar in it? Diet soda has some a long way.

The coke, pepsi zeros don't work for me. After a while it makes my mouth and tongue go numb.

It is a different artifical sweetener than diet coke/pepsi.

I really like the Safeway brand diet cola.

But my main diet is diet Dew.

Im a Pepsi kinda guy. That being said, I've kinda had to wean myself off soft drinks in order to control my sugar. I dont like any artificial sweeteners, as they just taste/ feel empty to me, so I've converted to water. maybe 5 times a year I treat myself ( and its usually at someone else's house or a restaurant). Pepsi, Ginger ale (Canada Dry or Schweppes), Root beer (A&W or Mug) and orange ( Sunkist or Orange Crush) , depending on my mood. Most of the name brand preferences are more for nostalgic reasons (or just their successful marketing campaign, as I can still hear the Canada Dry Ginger ale commercial song from the 70's in my head). I don't drive myself crazy looking for them, but if seen, they will be the ones I grab.

Coke and only coke. But like 3-4 times a year. And the “Mexican” made with real sugar if I can find it.

The only other pop I buy is Squirt, since I found a store on the Cape that sells it.

Last edited:
Most of the time I drink water or unsweetened iced tea with meals

I drink diet Pepsi or diet Schweppes ginger ale with pizza or a cheeseburger.

I buy the mini cans in an effort to limit my consumption but I have to admit that they are an expensive and unnecessary ecological nightmare.

I'm not a big pop/soda drinker. Didn't grow up with these drinks. It was the 50s and these were limited.

Now, I use a SodaStream machine to flavor my carbonatored water. Couldn't be happier. No calories, no plastic bottles to throw away and I'm happy with my flavors.

Diet Coke is my vice. I've had to give up so many of them. I tried to break from diet coke several times using several methods....but, "like a sinner before the gates of heaven, I come crawling on back to" diet coke. I need no reason to drink it other than diet coke. :rolleyes:

(Apologies to Meatloaf's song)

The only cola I ever enjoyed was RC brand. If you can find it, Welsh's strawberry, then 7-Up, Upper 10, Squirt, Nehi orange
A&W root beer, Dad's root Beer, Mug Root Beer, Jones Soda, love home made cream soda 9sparkling water, vanilla extract, sugar, or you favorite sweetener), Nesbits orange, or strawberry soda, Shasta Grape. Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew. Mixing soda flavors can be really good as well.

Plenty to try here. I have had friends purchase this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018K1C3KK?tag=aboutcom02thespruceeats-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=4091721%7Cn628ccc5bf7e9495ca5340efbff50019a16,
and others who purchased this - https://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-06/how-make-your-own-home-carbonation-system/

Me, I just took the tiniest chip of dry ice, filled a 2 liter bottle with ice, cold water, dropped the chip in, and screwed on the top. I had to release pressure twice to keep from exploding the bottle (use plastic. It will expand before exploding, and sends no glass shards if it does). One small brick of dry ice will make a ridiculous amount of carbonated liquid. Make this a project, and make your own soda, in any flavor you choose.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The only cola I ever enjoyed was RC brand. If you can find it, Welsh's strawberry, then 7-Up, Upper 10, Squirt, Nehi orange
A&W root beer, Dad's root Beer, Mug Root Beer, Jones Soda, love home made cream soda 9sparkling water, vanilla extract, sugar, or you favorite sweetener), Nesbits orange, or strawberry soda, Shasta Grape. Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew. Mixing soda flavors can be really good as well.

Plenty to try here. I have had friends purchase this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018K1C3KK?tag=aboutcom02thespruceeats-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=4091721%7Cn628ccc5bf7e9495ca5340efbff50019a16,
and others who purchased this - https://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-06/how-make-your-own-home-carbonation-system/

Me, I just took the tiniest chip of dry ice, filled a 2 liter bottle with ice, cold water, dropped the chip in, and screwed on the top. I had to release pressure twice to keep from exploding the bottle (use plastic. It will expand before exploding, and sends no glass shards if it does). One small brick of dry ice will make a ridiculous amount of carbonated liquid. Make this a project, and make your own soda, in any flavor you choose.

When do you add the flavour and how? I have lots of seltzer / club soda. I would like to try this. I don't often want any flavours.

When do you add the flavor and how? I have lots of seltzer / club soda. I would like to try this. I don't often want any flavors.

I added the flavor before carbonating. You can also carbonate juices, such as orange, apple, grape, the wonderful Jumex brand flavors, etc. You could even carbonate wines, V8 juice, etc. I don't drink alcoholic beverages. But here's an idea. Add a little yeast to you favorite apple juice, let it ferment for a week (or however long it takes as I've never done tis), in the fridges, then freeze, remove the ice, to concentrate the alcohol, making applejack, then carbonate. I could see how that would be refreshing on a hot summer day.

Enjoy. Let us jnow what you do, and how it turns out.

I LOVE Fresca! But since that's not technically Cola....

RC Cola used to be my favorite (haven't had it in several years) and is not available in my area..

Mexican Coke (coke with real sugar, more flavor and in glass bottles) Is my go to now.

Back
Top Bottom