Cook's Illustrated's Drip Coffee Maker rating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
Not sure if many people here read Cook's Illustrated, but in the latest issue they rated almost every coffee maker as being bad except for the Technivorm. Anyone else think that is being overly harsh or is that the truth that only the Technivorm makes good coffee?

I have a Capresso MT500 and thought it was a pretty good maker.... but they rated the Capresso maker (slightly different model) as dead last.

I subscribe to Cook's Illustrated and saw that piece in the September & October 2008 issue. Never having had any of the makers they reviewed all I could do was to "understand" their conclusions. However, we do have an 8-cup Bodum Chambord French press and love it. Thus far, it has made the best coffee for our tastes. At $239.95, the Technivorm better make darn good coffee...and often.

As for their testing, they are quite stringent and seem to test things to death, going far beyond what I would do.

I do not subscribe to the mag so I do not know which ones they rated or what they said, but we recently replaced our ould Krupps (which we loved) with a new Krupps (which we hate). The new one has an issue that makes it almost impossible to tell how much water you have put in. It has the standard little scale on the side where you can see how many cups of water you have put in, but on this one it gets bubbles in the little window so you have no idea what the real amount in there actually is.

At $239, I would prefer a french press, a burr grinder, and 15 pounds of fresh roasted Kona. bet I can make a better cup than that coffeemaker. I have an old Mr. Coffee. Sits on the floor in my pantry.

Best coffee maker I ever had was a #2 Melitta filter cone with a #4 filter.

I would be interested to see the review, but Cooks Illustrated wants CC# for the 14 day free trial. Uhhh ... No.

Reason I would like to read the review is to see where the Cuisinart rated. If it were reviewed.

FWIW....CU Ranks the Cuisinart DCC 1200 Third out of 31 models
Cuisinart DCC 2000 26 out of 31 models
Cuisinart DCC 600BC 27 out of 31 moidels....

we've had Capresso and they have not held up well. The Cuisinart is VERY LOUD when grinding. Frankly I'm French Press or Chemex.

Well, says I, from my cave...I use a stainless steel Revere Drip-O-Lator. Eight cup, but it will use a four cup paper filter (think Mrs. Tea). Have to boil the water in my (Revere) whistling kettle and pour over. I also roast and grind my own, and prefer dry-processed beans. I also like Chemex, but their real magic is in Chemex paper filters. 'course, I also have a 2-station 12-cup commercial Bunn pour-over for entertaining. When quantity is as important as quality, it rocks.

Back
Top Bottom