For Milk Lovers Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like my milk cold and served in a glass (not plastic) glass. Usually the only way I drink milk warm is when I make hot chocolate. I have fond memories of drinking warm milk at my grandparents as a child but that was way different. Grandpa had milk cows and his own pasteurization machine that he ran the milk through before the dairy picked it up in those wonderful stainless steel milk cans. He had a tin cup in the milk house just for me and would give me a cupful right from the pasteurization machine. It was really comforting and oh so good. He raised guernsey cows which produce the highest butterfat milk. You can imagine what their whole milk tasted like! And Grandma's homemade ice cream custard was the best!

Oh jabbur, you have evoked a happy memory for me. I worked the Fair in Western Washing with the 4-H kids. In the morning I would go into the separating room and skim off some cream on top of the vat as it was coming out of the cows. Still warm from the cows and not pasturized. Raw cream. I only had to use a drop in my coffee and the rest went into my dry cereal. That is one time I looked forward to breakfast. :angel:

Well I will end your wondering. It is hot and very sweet when it is fed to a baby. I breast fed all my babies. When I had my third baby, the two oldest ones want to taste it. So I let them. That was the last time they asked for that. :angel:

:ROFLMAO: Won't be trying that.

I think being able to breast feed would be so hawt. It would be like never having to go to the corner store again.

Now that that thought's out of the way, I buy milk in quart size, I just don't drink enough like I used to and I like it Cold. Now that it has gotten freezey outside, I will be making hot chocolate this winter and may go back to half gallons. I eat plenty of cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt and keffir and ICE CREAM. I think I get enough dairy in my diet.

I think being able to breast feed would be so hawt. It would be like never having to go to the corner store again.

Now that that thought's out of the way, I buy milk in quart size, I just don't drink enough like I used to and I like it Cold. Now that it has gotten freezey outside, I will be making hot chocolate this winter and may go back to half gallons. I eat plenty of cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt and keffir and ICE CREAM. I think I get enough dairy in my diet.

It's not really. I trained all my babies to go on a four hour schedule. When they fall asleep while feeding, you wake them up and make them finish the feeding on both breasts. When both breasts are empty, burp them and changed their diaper. Whether bottle or breast fed, most mothers stop feeding when the baby falls asleep. A big mistake. A few snaps of your finger on the bottom of their foot and they will wake right up and start feeding again. The average feeding takes ten minutes on each breast. They are more than willing to sleep until the next feeding. As they grow and nurse for longer times, they sleep longer. Four hours go into five, then six. Before you know it, they are sleeping all night. Four hours is plenty of time to accomplish a lot of things. Even taking a nap with the baby during the day. Four hours is plenty of time to run to the corner store as long as you have someone to watch the children.

I buy milk by the half gallon. And I drink every bit of it. If I am going to make something that requires the use of a cup or two of milk, I make sure I save some. I am 73 y.o. and my last bone density test showed that I have very strong and healthy bones. Should I have a fall, it is unlikely that I will break a bone. I have never quit drinking milk from childhood. A lot of adults do. I am also a cheese addict. I love Swiss cheese. Can't pass it buy in the deli. I am not too fond of processed American cheese. It has no flavor for me. :angel:

There are some nutters out there that make cheese from breastmilk and use it for tea, coffee etc. Maybe it's not so crazy but who would want to be milked all the time? lol!

There are some nutters out there that make cheese from breastmilk and use it for tea, coffee etc. Maybe it's not so crazy but who would want to be milked all the time? lol!

While I was nursing my third baby, I was also providing milk to two twins in the hospital. I was the only mother on all of the three floors of maternity that was nursing. They asked me if I would be willing. How could I say no. I was an experienced nurser and knew how to produce more milk for them. A matter of supply and demand. The more milk you produce the more milk is demanded. Unfortunately they both died at two weeks old. When I went home, I sent the milk to the hospital four times a day by taxi at the hospital's expense. That was two weeks the mother had with her babies instead of a couple of days. I would do it again in a heartbeat. :angel:

While I was nursing my third baby, I was also providing milk to two twins in the hospital. I was the only mother on all of the three floors of maternity that was nursing. They asked me if I would be willing. How could I say no. I was an experienced nurser and knew how to produce more milk for them. A matter of supply and demand. The more milk you produce the more milk is demanded. Unfortunately they both died at two weeks old. When I went home, I sent the milk to the hospital four times a day by taxi at the hospital's expense. That was two weeks the mother had with her babies instead of a couple of days. I would do it again in a heartbeat. :angel:

That a wonderful thing to do but what I meant was I don't see many woman being prepared to use breast pumps for very long to produce milk for daily use for others.
I would have happily breastfed my children but I got mastitis with both children. I did manage to feed them for a few days each. Guess it doesn't come naturally to all woman. I struggled horribly but I think the fact that both my babies were prem made it harder.

That a wonderful thing to do but what I meant was I don't see many woman being prepared to use breast pumps for very long to produce milk for daily use for others.
I would have happily breastfed my children but I got mastitis with both children. I did manage to feed them for a few days each. Guess it doesn't come naturally to all woman. I struggled horribly but I think the fact that both my babies were prem made it harder.

Not every woman can breastfeed for various medical reasons. A lot get discouraged right on the first time the put their baby to their breast. Some babies cannot latch on. Specially premies. And no matter how many babies you have, that first time you put them to the breast, it is very painful. You swear the baby is trying to suck your innards out. After two or three feeding the pain is gone. The main thing is to not make the mother feel like a failure. I also had an excellent nure when I had my first one. She stayed right at my side for the first few feedings and helped me so much with encouragement.

I nursed my babies when it was not considered the best thing for the babies. It was felt that formula was the best thing to feed them. I felt different. And I refused to listen to the so called experts. I also really enjoyed feeding them with my milk. I felt like it was a continuation of doing all the right thngs I did when I was pregnant. And I enjoyed the closeness. There are a lot of foods you can't eat when you are nursing. And no drinking or anything you wouldn't feed a baby. Just common sense.

My husband loved watching me feed my babies. My first husband used to take the two a.m. feeding. I would turn on my side, and he would hold the baby to my breast. It allowed him to particpate in caring for the baby also. That way he wasn't left out. And I got some much needed rest. I was able to sleep right through the whole feeding. He always worked the second shift so he could do it with each baby. I started to sing nursery rhymes to them and still did as they grew into being a toddler and beyond. They still remember a lot of them. :angel:

Not every woman can breastfeed for various medical reasons. A lot get discouraged right on the first time the put their baby to their breast. Some babies cannot latch on. Specially premies. And no matter how many babies you have, that first time you put them to the breast, it is very painful. You swear the baby is trying to suck your innards out. After two or three feeding the pain is gone. The main thing is to not make the mother feel like a failure. I also had an excellent nure when I had my first one. She stayed right at my side for the first few feedings and helped me so much with encouragement.

I nursed my babies when it was not considered the best thing for the babies. It was felt that formula was the best thing to feed them. I felt different. And I refused to listen to the so called experts. I also really enjoyed feeding them with my milk. I felt like it was a continuation of doing all the right thngs I did when I was pregnant. And I enjoyed the closeness. There are a lot of foods you can't eat when you are nursing. And no drinking or anything you wouldn't feed a baby. Just common sense.

My husband loved watching me feed my babies. My first husband used to take the two a.m. feeding. I would turn on my side, and he would hold the baby to my breast. It allowed him to particpate in caring for the baby also. That way he wasn't left out. And I got some much needed rest. I was able to sleep right through the whole feeding. He always worked the second shift so he could do it with each baby. I started to sing nursery rhymes to them and still did as they grew into being a toddler and beyond. They still remember a lot of them. :angel:

I just couldn't get it right. tried for days. The only breastmilk my babies got was milk I pumped out while they were in ICU.
I really wanted too. I couldn't really afford formula either so it was tough.
Caitlin and Daniel needed special formula that cost me a small fortune.

In Denmark they have a mothers' milk bank, like a blood bank. All preemies are fed mother's milk unless there is some medical reason not to. The mothers' milk bank is so well stocked, that a friend of mine wanted to donate, but they already had a surplus.

In Denmark they have a mothers' milk bank, like a blood bank. All preemies are fed mother's milk unless there is some medical reason not to. The mothers' milk bank is so well stocked, that a friend of mine wanted to donate, but they already had a surplus.

My DW used to give milk to Balboa Navy Hospital, in San Diego, as she had lots of rich milk, more than our kids needed. She'd feed them at about 11:p.m., and they'd sleep till morning, from the time they came home from the hospital.

That's a blessing for premies. Mothers who can, should, IMHO. Thanks to all of you who have.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My DW used to give milk to Balboa Navy Hospital, in San Diego, as she had lots of rich milk, more than our kids needed. She'd feed them at about 11:p.m., and they'd sleep till morning, from the time they came home from the hospital.

That's a blessing for premies. Mothers who can, should, IMHO. Thanks to all of you who have.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Nice to read that it is being done is some US hospitals.

I've always wondered why people love the idea of drinking milk from a cow but are terrified by the thought of drinking breastmilk. I've never tasted it but surely it would be better for us and probably taste better too? Who knows? I was never breast fed so I have no clue but it makes sense.

Doesn't taste good

I've always wondered why people love the idea of drinking milk from a cow but are terrified by the thought of drinking breastmilk. I've never tasted it but surely it would be better for us and probably taste better too? Who knows? I was never breast fed so I have no clue but it makes sense.

I don't think people are terrified. It just doesn't make sense from an economic point of view. Think back through history. Most people were very poor and breast milk fed the babies for free.

I think they have one here in Ottawa--friends of mine donated when they were nursing their kids. It freezes well, and, if I recall, some was even shipped overseas.

I like my milk cold, but not ice cold. I think it tastes best if it's been sitting at room temp for 5-10 minutes. Which makes sense since we taste more with our nose than our mouth and the warmer something is the more we can taste.
Which, BTW, is why it's so easy to eat a lot of cold cereal or ice cream without feeling full.
I drink 1% milk and save whole milk for special occasions, as silly as that sounds. On the occasion I drink whole milk, it's that much better.

I'm also a big fan of shaking the milk before I pour it. Maybe it's just me but I love the froth on top. Plus I think the small air bubbles suspended in the milk increase the exposure of the tongue to air, which is necessary for taste, thus increasing the enjoyment of the milk. Same idea behind the slurp people do when tasting wine. But that's just my theory.

Last edited:
I like my milk cold, but not ice cold. I think it tastes best if it's been sitting at room temp for 5-10 minutes. Which makes sense since we taste more with our nose than our mouth and the warmer something is the more we can taste.
Which, BTW, is why it's so easy to eat a lot of cold cereal or ice cream without feeling full.
I drink 1% milk and save whole milk for special occasions, as silly as that sounds. On the occasion I drink whole milk, it's that much better.

I'm also a big fan of shaking the milk before I pour it. Maybe it's just me but I love the froth on top. Plus I think the small air bubbles suspended in the milk increase the exposure of the tongue to air, which is necessary for taste, thus increasing the enjoyment of the milk. Same idea behind the slurp people do when tasting wine. But that's just my theory.

I too have noticed that frothy liquids have more flavor than do straight liquids. And like you, I have a theory that the added air helps carry flavor molecules into the sinuses, where much of our ability to fully develop flavors resides. Also, I have noticed with non aerated liquids, that you really don't taste them until saliva mixes in to help carry and bind the flavor molecules to the receptors on the taste buds. So, aerated liquids disperse the flavors more completely into the nose, and mix more readily with saliva, thus intensifying the flavors of the liquid.

This, of course, is conjecture, or should I say, and educated guess, or hypothesis.

Ever take a Wendy's Chocolate Frosty, and heat it, then drink it? It's wonderful, again because it was engineered for max flavor at a very low temperature. When heated, it changes the flavor profile of the drink. It adds your nose to the sensory mix, and also brings in textural differences. So more senses are experiencing what the desert has to offer.

Ok, now we've gone from "How do you like your milk, to breastfeeding, to milk and the physics of the human body. Isn't it amazing how threads can evolve. That's what makes discussions so valuable, entertaining, and educational, all at the same time.;)

I think I need a glass of milk, at about 38 degrees.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom