"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2021, 09:53 AM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Great Tasting High Protein Drink

I'm allowed only a quarter cup of milk, or 2 oz. of cheese per day. Well, I've found that I enjoy Rice Dream Original Rice milk just as much. However, it's pricey. So, I've been experimenting with making my own. It comes out very smooth, and creamy, but not as good tasting. I upped the anti, so to speak, and decided to add other ingredients to my home made rice milk, increasing the nutritional value, protein content, and flavor. Though this latest batch is very thick, and a little grainy, it tastes great, and fills the belly. Here are the ingredients:
1 cup cooked rice
1 cup ice water
1 cup frozen, ripe strawberries (they were fresh, but Ifroze them)
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 tbs. strawberry freezer jam
2 tbsp. Whey proteins Powder
1/4 cup hulled sunflower seeds
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. chokecherry jam

Put all ingredients into blender, and process into a puree, as smooth as possible.

Tis can also be used as a sauce to spoon over poke cake, shot cake, ice cream, mixed with yogurt, or cream chees.

Seeeeya;Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
Cook

Interesting that the whey protein, which is derived from milk, is ok, when you are restricting milk and dairy?

I don't have problems with milk, but I do mix protein powder with low-fat Greek yogurt for a quick protein hit. Sometimes I throw in a few blueberries (lots of blueberry farms where I live).
summer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer57 View Post
Interesting that the whey protein, which is derived from milk, is ok, when you are restricting milk and dairy?

I don't have problems with milk, but I do mix protein powder with low-fat Greek yogurt for a quick protein hit. Sometimes I throw in a few blueberries (lots of blueberry farms where I live).
It's the phosphorous in the milk that is an issue for me. I am allowed cream, and whey. i do still have to read labels to insure that no added phosphate preservatives are added to the product.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drink