Mango Lassi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayqsl

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have a good recipe for Mango Lassi? I've got one but the result is too thick. I don't want to just add water to thin it out but may have to resort to that. I want to be able to drink it through a straw, just like in the restaurants.

;)

The Lassi is yogurt, milk, and mango, right? I love 'em and always order them at Indian restaurants. I'd like to see your recipe but surely a tiny dash more milk would settle it down a bit. Is Indian yogurt thinner than American yogurt?

Here's the recipe that I've got for Mango Lassi.

Ingredients9 fl oz plain yogurt
7 oz mangoes, peeled and chopped into pieces
3 1/2 oz mango pulp
1/2 cup (4 fl oz) milk
4 teaspoons white sugar
4 crushed cardamom pods Method Put all of the ingredients into a food processor
Process into a thick, smooth, paste (about 2 minutes)
Put into a bowl, cover with kitchen film, and cool in the fridge for 2 hours
Serve in a tall glass

I've been experimenting with the recipe to try and make it better. The lassi is too sweet so I've dropped the sugar - the mango and mango pulp are sweet enough by themselves. And the cardamom pod husks don't always get blended up correctly so I just use the seeds from the pods instead.

As far as I'm aware, yogurt is yogurt.

I'll try your idea and increase the milk content. It should water it down a little. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks for the idea.

Mango smoothies are one of my favorite summertime treats and like I said I always order a Mango Lassi when I dine at an Indian Restaurant. I'd never looked at a Lassi recipe before and it looks like the only difference is a dash of cardamom. Does it need the time in the fridge for anything other than cooling?
would a couple of ice cubes in the blender with the mix serve to thin it a bit as well as chill it? I know that's just 'watering it down' and maybe turning it into something else entirely. The other thing that comes to mind is why the pulp? Just curiosity but don't the fresh mangos have enough? I keep a variety of tropical fruit pulps in the freezer for making off season Aqua Frescas (which are never as good as the Mexican ladies make) so when I see some nice looking mangos I'm gonna give your recipe a try. Cardamom is on the shopping list too!

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Putting the lassi in the fridge is just to cool it. Some crushed ice would probably make it immediately ready to drink but would water it down. The mango pulp gives it more flavour. I've done a few experiments over the past few days and have actually arrived at a final recipe that produces a perfect mango lassi - at least, it's perfect in my eyes but may not be in yours. I played around with just adding more milk but that turned the taste into something just like a milkshake. Not that there's anything wrong with milkshakes but I don't like them too much and need to disguise/hide the milk taste.

The final recipe is as follows:

250g unsweetened yogurt
250g mango
200g mango pulp
1 cup milk
1 cup water
Seeds from 3 green cardamom pods

Just put everything into a food processor and blend for 2 minutes. Then pour the lassi into 4 tall glasses and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours. You can stand a straw up in the lassi but still drink it through the straw.

Delicious

:chef:

There is a really good mango juice (Phillipine Brand) that I get from Costco. It is the best mango juice I've ever had. Maybe adding some good quality mango juice will thin it without watering it down or making it to milky.

Mmm I have never heard of cardamom in a mango lassi. I think cardamom is lost when you have a strong fruit like mango.

The authentic lassi is normally served plain. It's just good quality yogurt (home made is best and I think if that's not an option middle eastern or greek yogurt is a great option because it's thicker and creamier) with sugar and some milk or water and cardamom. The cardamom flavor stands out in a plain lassi.

These ingredients are blended together and It is normally served with thick cream (malai) on top - That's cream that's skimmed after warming whole milk (almost like clotted cream). That's the authentic Punjabi lassi.

For mango lassi I would recommend mango pulp - Ratna brand if you can get your hands on it at an indian store along with yogurt, water or milk and some sugar. Blend and chill and serve. I personally don't like the texture of fresh mangoes that you get in the US in my lassi.

Back
Top Bottom