Odd flavor in my smoothie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I hope this is the correct forum for this. Smoothies are technically a beverage, right?

I make a smoothie every morning that I work. I don’t consider health benefits, and I don’t add any nasty vegetables like kale or spinach. (Not that those are nasty on their own, they just have no place in a beverage that’s supposed to be creamy, sweet, and refreshing.)

I usually through in whatever frozen fruit I have on hand, add some flavored yogurt drink, some coconut milk and some honey or coconut syrup. (Told ya, nothealthy, but yummy.)

This morning I added a handful of frozen canteloupe to the mix. Later this afternoon, I was enjoying my smoothie and noticed that it had a flavor a bit reminiscent of Oreo cookie cream. Really! It was so subtle that it took me a few minutes to identify it.

Do melons, specifically cantaloupes, impart a cookie cream flavor? Or do ya think it was something else I added?

BTW, sometimes I throw in a few spoons of ice cream. See, I really don’t care if it’s healthy, just tasty and restorative!

Could have been a combination of ingredients. Or something you ate or drank prior that made your brain think it was cookie cream..I went on a smoothie kick and ended up gaining weight, which is opposite of what I was trying to achieve...I feel bad because gf bought me this great Ninja mixer and I never use it..

We use our Ninja 3 or 4 times a week..

Instead of a mid-morning snack, I will toss in fresh or frozen fruit, 2% milk, a dash of vanilla and a few ice cubes..

Not a true smoothy I suppose but, refreshing and better for us than our usual snack items.. ( Curses on Adli's snack isle :ermm:)

Ross

Have you counted your fingers?

Seriously, I'd venture a guess that it was the yogurt drink that gave it a cookie cream flavor. Was it vanilla yogurt by any chance?

Last edited:
I hope this is the correct forum for this. Smoothies are technically a beverage, right?

I make a smoothie every morning that I work. I don’t consider health benefits, and I don’t add any nasty vegetables like kale or spinach. (Not that those are nasty on their own, they just have no place in a beverage that’s supposed to be creamy, sweet, and refreshing.)

I usually through in whatever frozen fruit I have on hand, add some flavored yogurt drink, some coconut milk and some honey or coconut syrup. (Told ya, nothealthy, but yummy.)

This morning I added a handful of frozen canteloupe to the mix. Later this afternoon, I was enjoying my smoothie and noticed that it had a flavor a bit reminiscent of Oreo cookie cream. Really! It was so subtle that it took me a few minutes to identify it.

Do melons, specifically cantaloupes, impart a cookie cream flavor? Or do ya think it was something else I added?

BTW, sometimes I throw in a few spoons of ice cream. See, I really don’t care if it’s healthy, just tasty and restorative!
I don't know about smoothies but my Mother told me not to put melon into a fresh fruit salad
as it would spoil the flavour of the fruit salad.

I don't know about smoothies but my Mother told me not to put melon into a fresh fruit salad
What an odd notion! I’ve had many salads, both sweet and savory, that included melon (usually cantaloupe). I’m curious to know how melon can ruin a salad!

What an odd notion! I’ve had many salads, both sweet and savory, that included melon (usually cantaloupe). I’m curious to know how melon can ruin a salad!
A good melon has a very strong flavour which gets into the liquid - (a simple syrup - a mixture of 2 parts water, one part sugar or a little less - and the juice of a lemon) of the salad - and drowns every other fruit flavour. (I'm talking about a fruit salad as a dessert not as a main course with meat or cheese.)

Not "an odd notion" if you think about it. The melon had imparted an odd flavour to the OP's smoothie.

Now that I think about it, I think your Mother was right. My salads are fresh stone fruits, berries, grapes, and sometimes sliced banana with a simple dressing of sour cream and sugar. Melon would ruin it, although I love melon by itself.

A good melon has a very strong flavour which gets into the liquid - (a simple syrup - a mixture of 2 parts water, one part sugar or a little less - and the juice of a lemon) of the salad - and drowns every other fruit flavour. (I'm talking about a fruit salad as a dessert not as a main course with meat or cheese.)

Not "an odd notion" if you think about it. The melon had imparted an odd flavour to the OP's smoothie.

I don't know what cantaloupe is like in Britain, because I don't know where yours is grown. Here, the flavor is rather mild, is only good for a short time of the year -- June and July are the best months. It is wonderfully sweet during that time, but not overpowering.

I'm sticking with the yogurt. ;)

CD

Have you counted your fingers?

Seriously, I'd venture a guess that it was the yogurt drink that gave it a cookie cream flavor. Was it vanilla yogurt by any chance?
No, not vanilla. “Piña Colada.” I didn’t read the ingredient list. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Back
Top Bottom