Peppermint Ice Cubes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seek2bwise

Question: What kind of water do you use when you want your ice-cubes to freeze crystal clear? My water makes them cloudy.

I'm going to try making ice-cubes with little peppermint candies inside them and I don't want them to look cloudy. :)

Thanks In Advance,
seek2bwise

The reason that ice cubes made with cold water are cloudy is because of
dissolved gasses in the water. Cold water has more dissolved gas in it
than warm water does. When the water freezes, the dissolved gas causes the
ice to become "cloudy". When you put warm or hot water in the freezer, it
has less dissolved gasses in it and it does not become cloudy. You may
then ask why doesn't the water become cloudy because it gets cold as well?
This is interesting as well because the water which was origionally warm
does not absorb any more air because it's still. If you were to put warm
water in the freezer, then stir or shake it after it cooled down and
before it became icy, you would see that the resulting ice cubes would be
cloudy as well.

That's really interesting, rainee! I know mine are less cloudy when I use filtered water, too, rather than our pretty-bad tap water.

Just a thought, depending on how small your peppermint candies are, you may have a problem with them dissolving some before the water freezes. I've never done this myself, so I don't know that for a fact, though!

That is sooooooooooo neat....Rainee, are you a scientist? :)

I don't know if the candy will melt...I've never tried it either....just came up with the idea...I'll let you know how they turn out. :D

seek2bwise

rainee is better than a scientist, she's a master of the bbq. that's an art as well as a science, imo.

seek2bwise said:
That is sooooooooooo neat....Rainee, are you a scientist? :)

I don't know if the candy will melt...I've never tried it either....just came up with the idea...I'll let you know how they turn out. :D

seek2bwise

Make 1/2 an ice cube, put the candy on it, then add the rest of the water and put it back in the freezer. It will cool off quickly and help keep it from dissolving (too much).

John

I tried to open Rainee's website but my computer is such a boat anchor that it wouldn't work. I need to get another one but it's on the bottom of the priority list right now......it will come right after I get the million cooking toys that I want. :LOL:

seek2bwise

not a scientist, but do work in IT.

Our web site has lots of graphics, which might be hard on older PCs.

Hmm. Great idea for the holidays. I think that you could also punch us the peppermint taste by adding some peppermint extract to the water before you freeze it.

I made spearmint ice cubes using room temp Evian, spearmint extract and spearmint leaves. The cubes came out crystal clear and the extract added just the right touch of flavor. I love the idea of using peppermint candies in the cubes. Perfect for a holiday social.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom