Porcini Latte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
This is one of the recipes from the GCC Mushroom Challenge and I have to say my favourite of all the courses. The flavour tones of the porcini poweder and espresso were so compatible and the earthy yet floral fragrance were more than I had hoped for!

Porcini Latte

1/2 teaspoon (generous) porcini powder (or to taste)
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 ounce fresh brewed espresso
6 ounces steamed/frothed milk
extra porcini powder for dusting

Rehydrate the porcini powder with the water in the bottom of your mug to form a paste. Then add the fresh brewed espresso and mix (rehydrating with the espresso directly didn't increase the flavour and left the drink a bit pasty and gritty.

Fill with steamed milk and sprinkle foam with porcini powder.

Enjoy!

I haven't tried it, and I do love mushrooms but somehow a mushroom coffee just doesn't sound right to me. Please don't anyone take offense. I would try it if I had porcini powder in the house but until today I had never even heard of the stuff. I think I'll save my mushrooms for eating out of hand and my coffee flavored with french vanilla. But I'll bet all of the other recipes are terrific.

No offense taken! But if you weren't told what was in this drink I swear you would love it and would never imagine it had anything to do with mushrooms. But i really do understand. I am the same with other things!

I looked for porcini powder today...didn't find any. Did oick up a variety of dried mushrooms, though!

LPB it works in my head so I know it will be good as I cant try it yet:(
My head started working and because of my diet I cant try this.
Truffle Zambaglione as a starter.
I want to keep the golden yellow color and serve in a small coup glass.
Place your very fresh eggs in a plastic bag with your truffle, leave in the fridge for 48 hrs for the eggs to absorb the flavor of the truffle.
Place 4 egg yolks in a bowl with a little clarified chicken stock and some dry marsala, whisk like mad over boiling water till I hope it gets thick and frothy pour into coup glass. Sprinkle with pocini powder.
I wonder if you could whisk the egg white with some corn flour till very stiff then poach blobs in chicken stock as a form of savory floating island and sit them on top of the T/Zambag.
I want it to look like a desert but serve it as a starter:)

So I tried this tonight.

It is good. You came up with a winner. Next one I might use a touch more powder.

Thanks for this.

Isn't that strange how you like it but want more? I found that when I was tinkering with it. I started with a little but found it needed more. Whereas with the truffle oil in the truffles, more than just a tiny little drop was overpowering!

Glad you liked it!

My Porcini Powder, Dried Porcini and Candy Caps got here today. Porcini Latte's tomorrow.

The Candy Caps I had to double bag in freezer ziplocks, the smell (good) was overpowering, even when they were in the box. The mailman wanted to know what was in the box, he could smell them in his truck.

My Porcini Powder, Dried Porcini and Candy Caps got here today. Porcini Latte's tomorrow.

The Candy Caps I had to double bag in freezer ziplocks, the smell (good) was overpowering, even when they were in the box. The mailman wanted to know what was in the box, he could smell them in his truck.

I can just imagine trying to get them delivered across the border! :LOL::LOL: I am going to have to find a Canadian Supplier and try the candy caps.

(Actually my friend with the gourmet store is trying to find them for me AND for her). :rolleyes:

ROFL! The truth? umm... mail order mushrooms.
The earthiness of mushroom in LP's coffee and PF's tea were two of my favorite ideas on the challenge. And I'd never heard of candy caps. Can I just grind dried porcini, or is powder something different?

ROFL! The truth? umm... mail order mushrooms.
The earthiness of mushroom in LP's coffee and PF's tea were two of my favorite ideas on the challenge. And I'd never heard of candy caps. Can I just grind dried porcini, or is powder something different?

You can grind the dried porcini. I plan on using up the end of my dried as powder when my supply get's down there.

Nice company to work with and they have a wonderful selection of fresh and dried mushrooms. I trust their mushroom hunters talents more than I trust my own. Morels are next on my list along with some Oregon Truffles. Some fresh truffles, shaved and made into truffle butter...:pig:

Yay for the PTB. As for the ziplocs, maybe you should do what I do with my chocolate supply. I have DH hide the box I keep it in (no Barbara, it isn't still in the fireplace!) so I can't find, or even smell it. Then when I need it (for cooking, not craving), he brings me exactly what I need and finds a new hiding place just in case! :whistling

They do have a strong aroma...

We have them in a double bag, in a plastic bin and you can smell em...

Might be time to see what can be made... I wonder how candy cap latte would be. :)

I do think they mapley flavor will mix nicely.

When we first tried the ice cream I felt like it had a mapley flavor with an undertone of coffee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom