Recommend a tea!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryRed

Senior Cook
Hello DCers!

I'm wondering if any of you can steer me in the direction of a new tea I'd like. I should start by telling you I drink tea ALL THE TIME - never less than two or three cups a day. I've got a few favorites, but I'm looking for new flavours to keep things from getting monotonous.

I always like a good old fashioned black tea. English breakfast teas, constant comment, even Lipton's tea are staples in my cabinets. I've also got a box of Starbucks Tazo in Wild Sweet Orange - very very good, not to mention invigorating! I like anything lemon for the same reason. I have a cinnamon apple tea that's almost like spiced cider. It's good, but not something I would drink every day. I also have a sampler box of fruit teas that I'm not particularly fond of. They remind me too much of Jello or something. Last but not least, my green tea. I live on that stuff. Every once in a while I add a peppermint tea bag to my green tea for variety. I don't love peppermint on its own though.

I know my tastes are sort of all over the place, but can anyone recommend something I'd probably like? Or hey, forget my specifications. Any and all recommendations welcome!

Cherry, my current favorites are Celestial Seasonings Honey Chamomile, Yogi Green Tea Rejuvenation (it has lemon grass and spearmint leaf in it), and Triple Leaf Ginger Tea (100% ginger root). It's a great variety!

I haven't used loose leaf yet. I've been settling for plain old bags up until now, mostly because I don't have much space in my dorm room. Or access to a kitchen (insert angry rant here. . . lol). I'm moving out tomorrow so I'll have all the time, space, and resources I want at my disposal!

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions. They sound yummy!

CherryRed, a couple of years ago a foodie friend introduced me to a tea by a company called Republic of Tea. The flavor is blackberry-sage. I fell in love with it. One of the great things about it is that it's delicious brewed hot or served over ice. I love it.

I've seen it at quite a few of our local places, one of which is World Market.

As for flavored teas, I like the taste of peach, but other than that, just a black tea is good for me.

I too am a dedicated tea drinker. I like Tazo Awake in the a.m. and Bigelow's Constant Comment in the afternoons. I like Twinnings Irish Breakfast tea also. I have all kinds of tea, but I'm a creature of habit and I like the same kinds of tea.

I like the Tazo Passion flavor for iced tea - its very good.

for a black tea, try Twinings Prince of Wales
for a green tea in a tea bag, Tazo Zen
For a white tea, try to find Pai Mu Tan

Personally, Tension Tamer does wonders but any peach or raspberry flavored teas are delicious.

Tension Tamer! I've had that. I was trying to remember the name of it in my original post but couldn't. That stuff is pretty good. . . isn't there catnip in it? Yummy though. :)

Oh my. I could go on and on here. I am also a huge fan of the White Christmas tea. Its just so smooth. I also love the Prince of Wales tea Robo mentioned. I'm a big Earl Grey fan. But I only like the Twinings brand of Earl Grey. Weird I know.

If you are into herbal stuff, take a look at London Fruit and Herb tea. They are the best fruity teas going. They also make Green and Fruit blends.

I'm a huge Stash Tea fan. I love their teas. My current favorites include the Exotica teas (Reserve Blend and Champagne Oolong for black teas), and I love Moroccan Mint. The lemon ginger is nice too, but can be a bit overpowering at times.

Since you're a tea lover, I'm assuming you've already tried Earl Grey?

I've never been a big fan of fruity teas, but Earl Grey is definitely one of my long-time standard favorites. Terrific on a cold snowy day with a fire going & a good book.

I love Earl Gray. Always have! I'm not big on fruity teas either. Just the wild sweet orange and anything lemon. Lemon tea is especially soothing on sore throats if served with honey.

I have not tried many teas and am no expert so I can only mention what I prefer. I had always been a big fan of Earl Grey. But found some other tea blends that are not mixed with fruits and assorted flavors when we went shopping. I took my wife to a place called Jungle Jim’s International Marketplace. As the name implies they have imported goods. The store is about an hour’s drive from our home but it is unique enough to make the trip every couple of months.

My wife suggested I look for tea in their “English” area and I found a tea from a company named Taylors of Harrogate. I have tried their Earl Grey which I found very good but my favorite has been their English Breakfast tea. I also am very fond of the Vanilla flavored tea which is one of the few flavored brews I have tried.

Taylors of Harrogate has a website and they sell loose leaf and bag tea. I have not ventured into a loose tea arena because I seem to have enough loose and untidy things in my life so I stick to the simplicity of the bag.

Alix said:
Is that a preference Caine or a dietary restriction?

It's the only tea I actually like the flavor of. I've even rejected green jasmine tea at my favorite Chinese restaurant and asked them to bring plain green tea.

Back
Top Bottom