What to do with soy milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Have a lot of soy milk leftover since DH didn't like the taste of it. Are there any recipes out there to disguise the taste of it?

I consume a fair bit of soy milk, not as a milk substitute (which it can never be) but as an occasional flavour change from regular milk. I also find that it's slightly nutty flavour goes better with some foods than milk does (such as the cereal Weet-Bix).

I would not be too quick to write off soy milk altogether. I suggest trying a number of different brands as it took me awhile to find one that I really liked (generally it is the soy milks with less ingredients listed that are the better ones.

Haggis,
My DH is on a low carb diet and drank the soymilk by itself. He's the type to tolerate all kinds of flavors except this one. Would it work well on a flan with added almond extract perhaps?

Middie,
I'll make some banana nut smoothies with it. Great idea; thanks.

vanilla or almond extract & strawberries blended with that & ice?

Last edited:
It`s great in pancakes, in place of the usual milk. I`ve found that you usually need a little more soy than regular milk, but they turn out equally delicous. A few years back I had some strawberry soy milk on hand so I used that and tossed some chopped up fresh strawberries into the batter. They turned out so good that I`ve now been making them ever since if there happens to be any strawberry soy milk in the house! (Really nice with a dusting of icing sugar on top or even whip cream.)

(PS - I`ve used almond milk in pancakes and French toast too and it worked great.)

I've made gravy with soy milk and my pickey hubby even liked it. It would probably be good in anything you normally put milk in that you cook, say like mashed potatoes.

Another idea is to make soy ice cream. Personally I really most of the soy ice creams on the market and haven`t played around too much with making soy ice creams at home (though I may in the future). Here is a recipe: Vegan soy ice cream

Smoothies are also a great way to go, here is a link to lots of diverse recipes: Soy milk smoothies

You can use it to make soap, bread, cake.... most things where you could use water you could sub for but you cannot use it in a custard where eggs are the thickening but pudding with cornstarch would be fine. I do not like the taste. Baby formula is soy milk and they seem to like it altho the burps smell and stains like crazy. Many baked goods use milk that could use water but bakers like the nutritional idea of milk over water.

Maybe try getting some sugar free chocolate syrup and making chocolate milk. I have only tried chocolate soymilk but I love it! Maybe he would like it better that way?

Back
Top Bottom