White Tea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have heard of Black tea. I have heard of green tea. Now I am seeing white tea. I know nothing about it. Has anyone here heard of/tried white tea? Want to give us an education? What is it like? Are there any health benefits that are not common in the other teas? Any other info?

TIA :)

I just got some from Upton Tea (uptontea.com)

It is probably one of my favorites! I find that green tea tastes sort of like grass, and is very strong. White tea seems to be sweeter and more mellow. I have heard that white tea has 6 times the anti-oxidants that green tea does (but don't quote me on that) The tea that I ordered was "First Grade Shou Mei White Tea" item #ZW20

I have some White Tea made by Imperial Republic which I picked up at a World Market / Cost Plus. I think it was a tad bit on the spendy side if I remember correctly.

It has a very subtle, delicate flavor with a tiny bit of natural sweetness. I like it. It'll never replace my all time favorite of Green Tea with Toasted Rice, but it is very good.

;)
Z

Thanks for all the info everyone.

swinchen, I checkout out Upton Tea and it turns out they are just a couple of towns over from me so I decided to give them a shot. On your recommendation I ordered the First Grade Shou Mei White Tea and then I also got the Japanese Sencha which is a green tea. I am looking forward to getting my package :)

Let us know how it turns out!

I also got the Sencha, I have to say I wasn't a fan of that. It tasted very grassy. Maybe I made it incorrectly or perhaps it is just the type of tea. I will be interested to hear your opinion.

Sam.

I tried the Japanese Sencha with the green tea sampler from Upton. I'm not a fan of the grassy (vegetal) taste either. Just check the description; it will usually indicate if there is a vegetal character to the tea. I recommend Chinese green tea. I recently tried Temple of Heaven Gunpowder(ZG30) and organic Chun Mee Dao Ming(ZG42). They both had a very nice flavor without that grassy aspect. I also tried a sample of the Yin Zhen Bai Hao Downy White Pekoe. I liked the subtle sweetness, but most of the white tea selections are a bit pricey to drink on a regular basis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom