"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Cooking Contests
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 581
Cook-Together Risotto

The Cook-Together is intended to be a thread at which we all can cook the same dish and share our experiences in a non-competitive, collaborative manner:
  • something you've always wanted to make at home (and may enjoy out) but rarely have made, or haven't made successfully;
  • for which special but locatable ingredients may be used, but for which expensive special equipment is not required;
  • that includes techniques, ingredient combinations, or other elements that intrigue you;
  • from a different cuisine than that of the previous Cook-Together dish;
  • that demands some time and effort, but that rewards that effort for even those first approaching it; and
  • that motivates you to try it out, ask questions, serve it to friends, and share photos and stories.
As we cook and compare, we post our recipes, cooking ideas, photos, instructions, and insight.

You're never too late for an DiscussCooking Cook-Together. While all have a specific starting time, none have an end time, and there are many of us eager to see what you will do with the cook-together recipes. So don't hesitate to contribute if you're finding this thread weeks or months after its start: by posting your own ideas, questions, or results, you can bump activity back up on this thread in no time!


Risotto - Many variations of Risotto that you can make and any will be fine to post your results, successes or mishaps.

NAchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Assistant Cook
 
sweetface2u1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA..
Posts: 8
Very Interesting
__________________
SweeTface
sweetface2u1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
Josie1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny Central Florida
Posts: 2,350
SweetFace Welcome to DC.

Josie
__________________
Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,503
oooh I love this idea! Off I go to find a risotto recipe that I want to try.

I've never even been in this section of the forums; I need to go do some more investigating to see what else I've been missing.
__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 476
I am so excited to learn how to make this!
__________________
Happy Cooking!!
Joy

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,440
Does paella count? Its kinda/sorta a risotto.

Craig
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
 
sweetface2u1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA..
Posts: 8
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
The Cook-Together is intended to be a thread at which we all can cook the same dish and share our experiences in a non-competitive, collaborative manner:
  • something you've always wanted to make at home (and may enjoy out) but rarely have made, or haven't made successfully;
  • for which special but locatable ingredients may be used, but for which expensive special equipment is not required;
  • that includes techniques, ingredient combinations, or other elements that intrigue you;
  • from a different cuisine than that of the previous Cook-Together dish;
  • that demands some time and effort, but that rewards that effort for even those first approaching it; and
  • that motivates you to try it out, ask questions, serve it to friends, and share photos and stories.
As we cook and compare, we post our recipes, cooking ideas, photos, instructions, and insight.

You're never too late for an DiscussCooking Cook-Together. While all have a specific starting time, none have an end time, and there are many of us eager to see what you will do with the cook-together recipes. So don't hesitate to contribute if you're finding this thread weeks or months after its start: by posting your own ideas, questions, or results, you can bump activity back up on this thread in no time!


Risotto - Many variations of Risotto that you can make and any will be fine to post your results, successes or mishaps.
Hello Everyone,

Im coming into this late. but we should keep this going it sounds like fun, so could you give me a bit more detailed info as to what im expected to do. And what other recipe ingredients have been introduced besides rosotto.. so i can catch up...
__________________
SweeTface
sweetface2u1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,503
I'm going to make mine later this week and I've chosen a simple classic: Milanese Risotto.

I wish I had a nice camera but we'll see what my trusty old point-and-shoot Minolta can come up.
__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,568
NAChef, I haven't forgotten, but I was busy with the Mushroom Challenge.

Risotto in the coming week.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,472
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
This sounds like fun. Has anyone made risotto using unpolished (brown) rice?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
This sounds like fun. Has anyone made risotto using unpolished (brown) rice?
That would be a good "experiment" recipe for the risotto thread. That's what this is, an exploration of a new recipe. I've made lots of risotto, but I am looking forward to trying out something new.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,472
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That would be a good "experiment" recipe for the risotto thread. That's what this is, an exploration of a new recipe. I've made lots of risotto, but I am looking forward to trying out something new.
Any ideas on the brown rice? I could just substitute short-grained brown rice and adjust the time, but how would I know if it came out right?

I have never made risotto because I only have brown rice at home. I don't even ever remember eating risotto, so I don't get any cravings for it
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...I have never made risotto because I only have brown rice at home. I don't even ever remember eating risotto, so I don't get any cravings for it
The only thing I know about risotto is that Emeril says you need to keep stirring it
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Any ideas on the brown rice? I could just substitute short-grained brown rice and adjust the time, but how would I know if it came out right?

I have never made risotto because I only have brown rice at home. I don't even ever remember eating risotto, so I don't get any cravings for it
I know it's the starches on the outside of the arborio rice that give it the creamy texture. I don't know if the brown rice will work the same or not. I'm willing to give it a try! You in? Pick a recipe, we'll do it together.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,472
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I know it's the starches on the outside of the arborio rice that give it the creamy texture. I don't know if the brown rice will work the same or not. I'm willing to give it a try! You in? Pick a recipe, we'll do it together.
I'm in, but you are the one with experience in risotto, so you pick a good recipe. I wonder if partially cooking the brown rice first would help bring starch to the surface.

But, I'm not feeling so good or too smart today. I don't think I will be doing any cooking for a few days.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm in, but you are the one with experience in risotto, so you pick a good recipe. I wonder if partially cooking the brown rice first would help bring starch to the surface.

But, I'm not feeling so good or too smart today. I don't think I will be doing any cooking for a few days.
We can put off our experiment until next weekend. I've seen enough of the kitchen this weekend. I'll find a recipe and PM it to you.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #17
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetface2u1 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Im coming into this late. but we should keep this going it sounds like fun, so could you give me a bit more detailed info as to what im expected to do. And what other recipe ingredients have been introduced besides rosotto.. so i can catch up...
This is the first "Cook-Together" on this site so no others have been introduced.

Just as others have been posting, ask questions, give advice on things that work or that have failed and why. Any experience you have that may help others is what will make the "Cook-Together" a success.

Pictures can be a big help, expecially for those who are new to the dish, ingredients & final product. Pictures are NOT necessary though, mostly just advice for & from other members is what will be the biggest help.


Thanks all! Looks like it will be fun, I have never made risotto before but plan to this next week.
NAchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,568
I have a large selection of "in-bulk" rice to choose from. If anyone is wanting to find out if a certain type of rice will work, just let me know. I can always stop and pick up a cup of it and give it a try. I keep plenty of stock on hand at all times.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,131
The question is begging, "what exactly is a risotto?"
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
The question is begging, "what exactly is a risotto?"

From Wiki:
Risotto is a class of Italian dishes of rice cooked in broth to a creamy consistency. The broth may be meat-based, fish-based, or vegetable-based; many kinds include parmesan cheese, butter, and onion. It is one of the most common ways of cooking rice in Italy.
Risotto is normally a primo (first course), served on its own before the main course, but risotto alla milanese is often served together with ossobuco alla milanese.


I'm going to have to look hard to find a new ingredient to try! Aside from playing with different rices.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.