DC Contest - Suggestions, Ideas and Chat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Does anyone remember back when I proposed a cooking contest that we called "The Golden Chef Contest"? Well, several people agreed to participate. The theme ingredient was oats. The rules were about the same as for the Iron Chef competitions on FN. As it turned out, I was the only person to actually turn out 5 dishes (the only person to turn out any dishes) and post the pictures and recipes on DC.

I would like to try this again. But this time, I won't be a contestant. I challenge any who want to show what they are made of to compete. Again, we will need at least three people who would agree to judge, and contestants who would make a 5 course meal from a theme Ingredient. I propose that the theme ingredient be chocolate, in any form you want.

Anybody up for this challenge?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed fo the North

I'm interested, but not sure in what capacity. When you get it all worked out (and that is no easy task as I found out with the Halloween Contest!) let us know.

Ok. Let's set the date for Saturday, February 12. That gives everyone time to prepare their menus and purchase the ingredients.

Suggested Rules:
Contest participants must create five (5) courses including an appetizer, main course, , beverage, and desert. The main course must include a vegetable and a meat entry, though a combination of the two could be substituted.

The food must be consumed by the contestant, with an accurate critique given by the contestant describing the quality of the food. Showcase plates of the cooked items will be photographed and submitted with complete recipes for each item to be judged.

Judges: Will agree to give their honest opinion of the recipes items and judge by the following criteria:

1. Artistic Plating - 0 to 10 points
2. Best use of the theme ingredient - 0 to 10 points
3. Most imaginative use of the Theme ingredient - 0 to 10 points
4. Quality of the food:
A: Flavor 0 to 10 points
B: Texture 0 to 5 points
C: Desirability of food items 0 - 5 points

If we can get enough judges, then maybe each judge could pic a recipe to duplicate and give their opinion so that all could be judged by actual taste and quality.

All food items must be made by the contestant. You can't by a box of bon-bons and call them your own.

Meal may consist of breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.

These rules are just what I've thought up out of my head. I'm open for suggestions.

Please, if you say you will participate, either as a contestant, or judge, please follow through. I spent money and time in the last contest of this kind, and no one else ended up participating, even though there were several people who said they would. This can be a fun thing, even something we might do on a semi-regular basis if we want to. And it's a great way to test ourselves. Just look at the pictures and recipes from the last Golden Chef contest. I really learned a lot about how versatile oats can be.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Just my opinion but you might get more takers if only three recipes were required.

Good thought on only the three courses. I'd be hard pressed to do 5. I'm out if we do the Valentine's weekend. The 12th is my birthday and I'm NOT cooking.

does the food need to be cooked on the 12th or just posted? It would be easy to work a meal up in advance and post it to the site. How does this whole judging thing work.

Is there a way for all DC members to be judges? Like, with polls?
I'd like to be invested somehow in this fantastic contest. And, it could catch on as a regular DC feature. But, only if there is drama in it for everyone. (I think.)

... contestants can post their planned menu, to give us anticipation.
... the souffle that deflated.
... I need reasons to openly root for Kathleen & Lucille.
... etc.

I would like to be a judge, but I like the idea of a poll! Maybe you could put all entries/photos into a thread with a poll that everyone could vote.

I won't be directly involved (usually something like this I would offer to judge or participate) since Kathleen seems keen on doing this but the site staff in general is here to help out however we can.

I won't be directly involved (usually something like this I would offer to judge or participate) since Kathleen seems keen on doing this but the site staff in general is here to help out however we can.

You will be busy playing sous chef to Kathleen's Brilliance;)

I'm going to sit back and watch, assist where I can. Too many things going on for me right now to take on another project.:)

Sounds like it would be more fun it the cooking contest wasn't limited to a theme. Chocolate? That's not an exactly cheap or easy product to work with. 3-5 course? I'm limited in my capacities. I think I'll just watch. This is just my opinion, It's not intended to set anyone off.

I like challenges don't get me wrong. If the theme was a little more opened up to the everyday / weekend warrior types, say " Cast Iron Challenge" Put your best CI / Dutch oven recipe up with a pic and recipe. Nothing costing more then $30.00 tops. Time set during the summer. Nobody freezes.. I know I'd participate as I'm sure a lot of others here that cook with CI will to.

I wish all the contestants good luck. Looking forward to seeing all the entries :)

Munky.

I PM'd the op of an idea like that. Maybe I'll PM you an idea and see what you think.

I understand your challenge and I like it, I was just trying to come up with something different. Some people seem to be interested and others don't want to make a 5 course meal. No reason we could not have different "Cook-Off" themed threads.

I like your idea and can't wait to see the entries!

For me, five courses would be an appetizer, seafood, palate cleanser, main and dessert. Three courses would be appetizer, main and dessert. Others might interpret them differently i.e. salad course, etc.

I am really having fun with this. Thanks, GW, this is what I needed!

Oooohers, palate cleanser. *plots and plans) For me, it is soup, appetizer, pasta (if no salad), main, salad (if no pasta), dessert.

As long as there is a beginning, main, and end, let's leave that open to contestant's interpretation!

The other contest ideas are awesome. Perhaps for future contests? What lured me to this one was the theme. :rolleyes: But I think we could do contests alllll year.

~Kathleen

I am sitting aside, not because of the theme or number of courses, etc. but because of health/diet issues and work. I'm not going to fix something I cannot eat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom