DC Stimulator Contest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have an idea for a new contest. I'm going to call it DC Stimulator. The idea is to get everyone putting on their thinkin caps. NO cooking is involved, unless you want to. We simply pick a theme and everyone who wants to participate must create a unique recipe, using any ideas they want. No money has ro be spent. DC members would then vote on their favorite recipe for the theme. Remember, the recipe must be your own creation, and must be unique, and different.

After the recipes are submitted, we will need a mod to set up the voting part, so that members can vote on their favorite. I Suggest we mak e a short list if recipes we would like to see, and then choose them one at a time for the Stimulator challenge, Here's my first idea:
1. Strawberry Malted Milk Cake

Anybody else with ideas, throw them in, be it a sew, or a spit roasted camel. Be creative. Oh, and this is for both fun, and to help us think new culinary ideas.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Interesting idea…

One of my favorite recipes is kind of a crispy popcorn shrimp with a sweet, sticky, heavily garlic laced glaze, rounded out with tomato, ginger and sherry.

But I also love coconut shrimp and Piña Coladas. So I am envisioning a second take on that recipe… a kind of "Piña Colada" shrimp, with a pineapple/teriyaki glaze with dark spiced rum, rolled in toasted coconut shreds.

Whaddya think?

Interesting idea…

One of my favorite recipes is kind of a crispy popcorn shrimp with a sweet, sticky, heavily garlic laced glaze, rounded out with tomato, ginger and sherry.

But I also love coconut shrimp and Piña Coladas. So I am envisioning a second take on that recipe… a kind of "Piña Colada" shrimp, with a pineapple/teriyaki glaze with dark spiced rum, rolled in toasted coconut shreds.

Whaddya think?

So, what is your name for this dish, so e can put it on the list?

Other ideas for this lit:
Grapefruit Pie.
Sherry Kissed Pork Meda;;pons

Last edited:
Ok, so far our list includes:
Pina-Colada Shrimp
Strawberry Malt Cake
Sherry-Kissed Pork Medallions

Keep the ideas coming/

Mods, I don't remember how to make this into something that can be voted on. I would really appreciate some help.:mrgreen:

Seeeeya' Chief Longwond of the North

Maybe I missed it....what is the theme?

Maybe Seasonal Ingredients? Desserts? I like themes.

We have to choose a theme from those offered in the above posts.

Or, how about Char Siu Korean style Ribs. a definite fusion of Chinese, and Korean flavors?

Last edited:
My recipe for the fusion recipe:

Char Siu/Korean Pork Ribs fusion

• 1/2*cup*soy sauce
• 1/2*cup*water
• 1/4*cup*rice wine (or mirin or white wine)
• 2*tablespoons*sesame oil
• 4*tablespoons*honey
• 2*tablespoons*brown sugar*use regular sugar if unavailable
• 3*tablespoons*minced garlic (6 plump cloves)*See note 1
• 2*tablespoons*finely grated ginger*See note 1
• 1/2*medium onion, grated*See note 1
• 1/2*medium sweet apple, grated*See note 1
• 1/2*teaspoon*black pepper
• 2/3*cup*Korean red pepper paste (gochujang, 고추장)
• 1 to 3*teaspoons*Korean red chili pepper flakes (gochugaru, 고추가루)
½*teaspoon*five spice powder
• ¼*teaspoon*white pepper
• ½*teaspoon*sesame oil
• 1*tablespoon*hoisin sauce\

This recipe is an adaptation of, which come from the shoulder. both Char Siu, and Korean BBQ baby back pork ribs. For Char Siu, boneless pork butt is used. So I’m splitting the difference and using country style pork ribs. There is enough fat and meat on them to make them extremely juicy and tender, with a cooking technique that will produce melt-in-your-mouth ribs, with a mildly crispy glaze.

Combine the a non-reactive bowl:
water,
soy sauce,
hoison sauce,
garlic,
red pepper paste,
red pepper flakes
sesame oil
chopped onion,
ginger
Mirin or white wine
white pepper
black ppper
Chinese 5-spice

Whisk these together well. Place the ribs into a large zipper-style freezer bag. Pour in 2/3ds of your marinade. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible. Lace into you refrigerator overnight.
Add the honey and brown sugar to the remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate. The last sauce is your basting sauce.

You will need an instaPot, or pressure cooker for the best results. Add 1 cup of water to your cooker. Place a rack into the pot to keep the meat from touching the water. Place the ribs onto the rack, and lock the lid. Cook undr max pressure for thirty minute. Release the pressure, remove the lid whn safe, and place on a rack

set onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with your basting sauce all over the ribs. Place under your broiler for six minutes, then turn and cook for another six minutes. Brush a second glaze onto the ribs if you desire, and repeat.

Serve with rice and butter, and stir-fried veggies.

How would you make this?

I have another idea for this thread. Rather than we all work on our own versions of a recipe, we could all[resent something unique, that we've never attempted before, be it sweet, savory, simple, or complex. This contest, I had hoped, would stimulate us to think outside of our comfort zone, to help us spread our culinary wings. In that regard, everyone who participates is a winner. Let's do away with the contest, and make this a thread to explore new ideas. I fuaed two similar recipes that shared many flavor components, but not all. I like what I came up with.

Kathleen, I know you to be a pretty great baker. Maybe you can come up with a new kind of pie recipe, or maybe a filling for yeast-raised doughnuts (pizza topping filled doughnut?). What about unique sausage ragu, or new bean dish? You can present anything. It only needs to be something new to you, that makes you think a bit when creating it.

That goes for everyone, new to cooking, or seasoned with years of experience. If you've never made a stuffed burger, here's where you try it and share your recipe.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I could consider something to do with that, but not for a few weeks. Work. Being a wage-slave, I don't have much time right now. :(

A baker? ME? :LOL: Baking requires measuring. Frank bakes. I toss stuff together. Remember that I am the one who cut a hole in the pie crust because I forgot spices, so used the hole to dump in spices hoping that convection would distribute it! (It didn't. ;)) But a unique sausage or bean dish is right down my alley. Let me give it some thought. :)

Last edited:
Hmm, I recently followed Jacques Pépin instructions for making a supper en papillote. We could do all kinds of food that way: with a Mexican, Indian, Italian, or whatever influence or just by varying the meat, veg, and seasoning or even doing fish or vegetarian. The idea would be to come up with a meal that can be baked in foil in the oven. Here's a link to Jacques Pépin's video: https://fb.watch/41sbmMtwQY/

can one of the mods put together a list of the ideas presented do far so that we can vot to see which idea we want to do first?

Here are the ideas so far:
Pina-Colada Shrimp (Let's go with Tropical Inspired Shrimp0
Strawberry Malt Cake (unique cakes?)
Sherry-Kissed Pork Medallions (your own POrk creations)
en papillote
Foil Pouches
Asian Fusion Recipes

I'll add "
Barley Creations
Citrus Pies
Savory Pies
Dinner Cakes
Cooked inFiee Foods

I like Taxy's idea of best foil-wrapped meal. Chief mentioned multiple pies...and pie day is coming soon! I think a theme is great. But pick a theme. I suggest picking something based on the month or holiday...any holiday...even made-up holidays, etc. St. Pat's Day is coming. Etc.

pk. with st. Patrick;s day in mind, a theme it is. fusion mea;:

Must include Chinese dumplings. corned beef, bok choy cabbage, some kind of root veggie, and Hoisin sauce. It can be fried, stir-fried, steamed, poached, baked, bbq. etc. It should include a complimentary desert.

Remember, think outside of the box. Challenge yourself. You don't have to make the recipe, simply create, the post it. Of course you can make it, then tweak it to make it better. Give it a name.I think I will wait a few days to submit my recipe idea. Also, try not to lean heavily on already created recipes.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

I find the suggestion for the St. Patrick's day meal too restrictive. E.g., must have Hoisin sauce. Why not just must have an Asian sauce?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom