GCC - Convenience Store Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
I've bought my ingredients. Let me just say that this is about 2 months (maybe three) too soon to have mushrooms as the secret ingredient! I sincerely feet like I've been mushroom hunting!

Tomorrow will be my cooking day! I cannot wait!

Next challenge should be the 7-11 challenge: All ingredients must be purchased from the local 7-11! No more than four items beyond salt, pepper, butter, oil, and flour can be used from your home pantry. One stop shopping!

Actually, that might be a blast. ;)

Quite fun...no 7-11's around here or Mini-Marts. I'll have to hit Holiday or Noon's. Should be local corner convenience store and gas station.

Next Challenge

I posted this in another thread thinking it was here, but how about this idea for our next challenge?

I think it would be a sincere kick to do something like a Convenience Mart Challenge. Something like a 7-11 or Tiger Mart....a place without a deli, etc. To make four courses: appetizer, main, dessert, and drink. To be able to use no more than six ingredients in your kitchen, including salt and pepper.

An odd challenge, but one anyone could try and would definitely take us all out of our comfort zones - with VERY fun results.

Kathleen, I think that is a great idea but I think the rules should be a little tighter than that. Our convenience stores sell a lot of groceries such as cake mixes, canned goods, etc. Are these things allowed? What constitutes acceptable Convenience Mart foods?

I would really be up for this. I remember how they hated it on Top Chef. I think it is great because it really draws on your creativity!

Kathleen, I think that is a great idea but I think the rules should be a little tighter than that. Our convenience stores sell a lot of groceries such as cake mixes, canned goods, etc. Are these things allowed? What constitutes acceptable Convenience Mart foods?

I would really be up for this. I remember how they hated it on Top Chef. I think it is great because it really draws on your creativity!

I would think if they sell it at a 7-11, it's fine. I wish we could find a 7-11 kind of place that is more or less nationwide. Are any nationwide?

Convenience Store List

I think any of the stores on this list are fine, but people can only shop at ONE store. It would have to be ONE stop shopping. Items at home should be typical pantry items: Salt, pepper, flour, sugar: No more than six in total. Ideally, the fewer outside items used, the better! That is, after all, the challenge.

I think any of the stores on this list are fine, but people can only shop at ONE store. It would have to be ONE stop shopping. Items at home should be typical pantry items: Salt, pepper, flour, sugar: No more than six in total. Ideally, the fewer outside items used, the better! That is, after all, the challenge.

Whew...Holiday is listed. I guess I could use Cenex, that would be more of a challenge. A lot of ours are a private convenience store with an affiliated gas station.

We have one shamrock gas station under teh Marathon Gas banner, and a Holiday gas station. There isn't anything close to a 7/11 in my home town, and the closest one is 200 miles away. I think that people who live in countries other than the U.S. or Canada might be hard pressed to find such a shop. We need to make the challenges such that anyone, from anywhere can participate. Of course, not living in Italy, or France, or Germany, or anywhere else but in various towns and cities in the U.S., I'm certainly not an expert here. What say all of you?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'll not be looking forward to a savory entree made with Hostess DingDongs...

Oh, c'mon... You could peel the chocolate off, melt it down and use it to coat the glass in one of those dirty martinis, use the cream filling for mashed potatoes and the cake mixture... hmmm... maybe use it for meatloaf mix? Provided your convenience store sells ground beef that is.

:ROFLMAO:

Beef Jerky Satay?

Kraft Dinner with tuna and a crushed cheese puff topping for crunch?

Didn't someone invent a Krispy Kreme burger awhile back?

The choices are endless! :ROFLMAO:

So what I am hearing is:

6 ingredients per course (salt and pepper count as ingredients) - Got it
ANY staples you have in your pantry - okay
You can only shop at a "convenience" store - okay since it is the convenience store challenge

But I got confused on "Ideally, the fewer outside items used, the better!". Doesn't that then make it a pantry challenge? Shouldn't it be that at lease the main ingredient for each course must come from the convenience store?

So what I am hearing is:

6 ingredients per course (salt and pepper count as ingredients) - Got it
ANY staples you have in your pantry - okay
You can only shop at a "convenience" store - okay since it is the convenience store challenge

But I got confused on "Ideally, the fewer outside items used, the better!". Doesn't that then make it a pantry challenge? Shouldn't it be that at lease the main ingredient for each course must come from the convenience store?

Perhaps we should agree on what can be used from a pantry. I think salt and pepper, though...I'll bet we can get small packets from the Qwiki-Mart. Same with sugar. Let's agree on what is allowable.

Salt, pepper. Honestly, I just said it so no one gets locked up for thieving salt packets. :LOL:

We really could say ALL ingredients must come from ONE convenience store off that list. Period. I'll give it a try! Complete and post it by April 17?

Last edited:
Oh, c'mon... You could peel the chocolate off, melt it down and use it to coat the glass in one of those dirty martinis, use the cream filling for mashed potatoes and the cake mixture... hmmm... maybe use it for meatloaf mix? Provided your convenience store sells ground beef that is.

:ROFLMAO:

I love ding-dongs! I'm going to be nibbling one like the Galloping Gourmet used to sip wine while cooking!

okay I thought it was anything from a convenience store PLUS 6 ingredients from your pantry, including salt and pepper.

Am I getting things backwards?

okay I thought it was anything from a convenience store PLUS 6 ingredients from your pantry, including salt and pepper.

Am I getting things backwards?

No, you aren't. Dave asked about that. So my question is: Do we want to keep it that way or say everything comes from the convenience store? I can go either way. If we keep it, I agree that the main ingredient for each course should come from the convenience store.

Back
Top Bottom