GCC - Convenience Store Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Main ingredient, I'm not buying salt, pepper and sugar from the convenience store. Or Butter. If I already have something, why would I be buying it again? Waste of money.

The main thing from your dish MUST come from the convenience store. If I call my recipe " steak and peas" the steak and peas must come from the convenience store.

Main ingredient, I'm not buying salt, pepper and sugar from the convenience store. Or Butter. If I already have something, why would I be buying it again? Waste of money.

The main thing from your dish MUST come from the convenience store. If I call my recipe " steak and peas" the steak and peas must come from the convenience store.

That was my thought. Is it okay with everyone?

I like it. I'm in. So let me just repeat the rules to make sure I've got them straight; Main ingredients must come from the convenience store, with six items from our pantries. Is that correct?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I like it. I'm in. So let me just repeat the rules to make sure I've got them straight; Main ingredients must come from the convenience store, with six items from our pantries. Is that correct?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I believe that is correct, but just to reiterate, the six items from the pantry would include things like salt, pepper, butter, oil, etc.

Okay, do we want to hold off setting a date until after next Sunday when the Mushroom one closes, or do we want to forge ahead on new uncharted territory (I haven't been in a convenience store in years!)?

Last edited:
I'm going to check out my local WaWa this week and see what it carries before committing.

I'm going to check out my local WaWa this week and see what it carries before committing.

LOL! And I had just decided to use the Cenex because I don't know what they carry. I'm well versed with the Holiday and I know they are carrying real food.

Since I don't use prepared foods, would "copy cat" type recipes be considered?
t

The idea of the challenge is to come up with your own recipes / recipe ideas and be creative and "challenge" yourself, not use existing recipes. Although there would be nothing wrong with reworking an existing recipe by swapping or adding ingredients. ;)

We can't buy beer in our 7-11.. well.. not over the counter at least. :LOL:

LOL.. yep, no beer or alcohol.

Last edited:
Since I don't use prepared foods, would "copy cat" type recipes be considered?

I rarely use processed foods either, and I know many of the people here don't. But the challenge is to go into one of these stores and let your creativity take over.

It is a double challenge for me because if I do use ANYTHING prepared (even ketchup, etc.), I have to read labels carefully for my DH's food intolerances and my father's diabetes. They are my taste testers.

But I am up for this. Haven't decided if I use one of the two family run stores or the one in the gas station around the corner. I could go 7/11 but it a bit of a distance and I think would have too much "real food" as I think Fiona said.

I'm considering doing this challenge we have 7 convenience/gas station stores, but no 7-11. They all carry some "real food" like cheese, eggs, milk, butter, bread and some may even carry frozen
meat. Would this be an unfair advantage or do all convenience stores have these foods? I have to admit I don't shop at them, but have seen what they sell while paying for gas at a couple if them. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Your main ingredients MUST be purchased at the convenience store. That is the challenge.
I'm not in. Convenience stores are expensive, for one thing, and do not sell the types of ingredients I buy, for another. By selecting convenience stores, this challenge is not conducive for people on a limited budget or with dietary restrictions.

What I meant by copy-cat was to make one's own cake mix instead of buying a cake mix, for example. I make a lot of "dry mixes" for cookies, cakes, and biscuits that I then "dip into" when I have a hankering to make something, just add the moist ingredients.

Last edited:
I believe that is correct, but just to reiterate, the six items from the pantry would include things like salt, pepper, butter, oil, etc.

Okay, do we want to hold off setting a date until after next Sunday when the Mushroom one closes, or do we want to forge ahead on new uncharted territory (I haven't been in a convenience store in years!)?

Thanks for clarifying the pantry items. I'm fine with setting a date now or later. Which ever is easiest for the group.

LOL! And I had just decided to use the Cenex because I don't know what they carry. I'm well versed with the Holiday and I know they are carrying real food.

If the store is on the list, I think it's fair game. All have some limitations. :)

Now where is the sense of adventure? Besides all you need is a bag of Doritos and a slim jim.

Don't give away my appetizer ideas! ;)

We can't buy beer in our 7-11.. well.. not over the counter at least. :LOL:

So beer bread is out for us.

I'm considering doing this challenge we have 7 convenience/gas station stores, but no 7-11. They all carry some "real food" like cheese, eggs, milk, butter, bread and some may even carry frozen
meat. Would this be an unfair advantage or do all convenience stores have these foods? I have to admit I don't shop at them, but have seen what they sell while paying for gas at a couple if them. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

If it is on this list, it's fair game.

I'm not in. Convenience stores are expensive, for one thing, and do not sell the types of ingredients I buy, for another. By selecting convenience stores, this challenge is not conducive for people on a limited budget or with dietary restrictions.

I hope that isn't true! I'll likely spend less on this challenge than others...and everyone in our house has dietary restrictions. To me, it is all part of the challenge as none of us shop at convenience stores. I'll definitely be out of my comfort zone. I hope you reconsider! :ermm:

Just wondering ...all of the convenience stores around here sell hot dogs, breakfast sandwiches and some burgers and pizza, hot. Can these be used? In other words could I take the hot dogs or sausages that were pre-cooked and use them to make an entree or appetizer? Just wondering.

Just wondering ...all of the convenience stores around here sell hot dogs, breakfast sandwiches and some burgers and pizza, hot. Can these be used? In other words could I take the hot dogs or sausages that were pre-cooked and use them to make an entree or appetizer? Just wondering.

I think you could use anything they sell.

Remember, "Creativity" is part of the challenge. I hope to see better than buying a ready cooked hot dog and plopping it on a plate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom