GCC - Mushroom - PrincessFiona60

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to my Dinner! Here is your seat:

28716-albums315-picture2589.jpg

Shiitake-Genmaicha Tea

½ ounce Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
Genmaicha Tea, loose or bags (I could only find bags)
Honey or Sugar to taste.

Bring 2 cups of water to boil, reduce to a simmer and add Shiitake, allow to simmer 30 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. (Save mushrooms for something else)

When ready to serve, reheat Shiitake liquid to steeping temp and pour into 2 cups, add the tea and allow to steep. Add honey and sugar to taste.

Critique: Shrek doesn’t like tea, never has. He said, “Not bad.”

It wasn’t one of my favorite things, but it did have unique mushroom flavor, slightly sweet from the sugar I stirred in. The one on the left, in the picture, has more of the mushroom broth in it, the one on the right, less.

28716-albums315-picture2588.jpg

Bunashimeji Soup (Beech Mushroom)

3 ½ ounces Bunashimeji Mushrooms, trimmed, leave whole
3 green onions, trimmed and cut in 2 inch pieces
1 med carrot, trimmed, julienned - about ¼ cup
1 red jalapeno, trimmed and diced
2 cups Dashi, hot
4 Teaspoons Miso paste
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Sauté Mushrooms lightly, until just cooked. Sauté onion, carrot and pepper. Divide evenly into two bowls, add 2 teaspoons of Miso paste to each bowl and ½ of the sesame seeds. Just prior to serving, heat Dashi till hot and pour over veggies. Stir to mix in Miso.

Critique:
From Shrek: “Needed more onion flavor, very good. Little dash of heat from the jalapeno and the color was great. It didn’t need anything to further season.”

I really enjoyed it and made up some extra with the leftover veg for my lunches next week.

28716-albums315-picture2587.jpg

28716-albums315-picture2586.jpg

Last edited:
Entree

Gingered Salmon with Rice and Maitake Confit

2-4 0unce Salmon filets, skin on
Pickled Ginger - 2-4 ounces

1 cup cooked rice, warm - I used wild/brown rice blend, cooked in Dashi and tamari.

Pat dry your salmon, lay in a non-reactive pan and layer the pickled ginger on top. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least two hours.

For the Confit:
3 ½ ounces of Maitake mushrooms, trimmed and sliced about ¼ inch thick
½ med sweet onion, trimmed and sliced ¼ inch thick
½ sweet red pepper, trimmed and sliced ¼ inch thick
½ yellow pepper, trimmed and sliced ¼ inch thick
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp sea salt
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil

In a Dutch oven, heat the oil on med-low burner. Stir in minced garlic and cook for 3 minutes, add rest of vegetables, stir occasionally and allow to cook for 30 minutes. Keep warm.

Crank up heat on another burner med-high to high and lightly oil a grill pan. Heat pan. Remove the ginger from the Salmon. Place lightly oiled salmon filet skin side up on the grill pan. Grill the filets for a total of 4-6 minutes (2-3 minutes per side) per ½ inch thickness, turning only once.

Serve each filet on warmed plate with ½ cup seasoned rice and ½ of the Mushroom Confit.

Critique: Shrek, “How did you make the rice? That stuff is good!” “I can’t taste the Salmon, too much ginger flavor.” “These are good.” (the mushroom and peppers)

Okay, the rice, I just cooked it in Dashi and Tamari…it was very good! Used the rice cooker. The Salmon was very good and I could taste it, I thought it was just right. Sure smoked up the apartment, good thing I took the battery out of the smoke detector first! The Maitake Confit, well cooked and sweet. I really liked it, however…In order for us to eat it I had to over cook the veg and I lost the bright color from the yellow pepper. My garnish remained garnish, no munching on it. I did put it in the bag of trimmings for soup.

28716-albums315-picture2585.jpg

Dessert!

Strawberry Lychee Blossom

White Truffle Oil
Fresh Mint Leaves
6 Strawberries, sliced
1 can Lychee Nuts, chilled and drained, reserve syrup

On 2 chilled salad plates, drizzle about ½ teaspoon of Truffle Oil on each plate. Arrange sliced Strawberries in a flower pattern, center 1-2 Lychee Nuts on the berries, arrange Mint leaves for garnish. Take 2 tablespoons of the reserved syrup and whisk in 1 teaspoon of Truffle Oil, drizzle over fruit. Serve chilled.

Critique: Shrek, “Tastes different, it’s good.” “You can have all the Lychee nuts, I don’t like them.” “It’s pretty, how’d you make the flowers?”

I loved it, but I like Lychee Nuts. It was all a great flavor all together, sweet and tart. I really thought the truffle oil would mask the flavors, but it didn’t. I had enough leftover to make it again and had it for dessert again.

28716-albums315-picture2582.jpg

Note: Lychee Flower, I took one lychee and put a small piece of one nut into the hole of the first, the others, I split and stacked around the whole one. I thought it turned out nicely!

Ending comment: This meal was well prepped beforehand. The sautéing, the Dashi, and the shiitake broth were all done about 3 hours before the meal. The rice and hour before and kept warm in the cooker. When it came time to eat, I just warmed tea broth, and the dashi and we sat and ate soup. Then I warmed the Confit and grilled the Salmon and we sat and ate the part of the meal. By then we were both stuffed and waited a while for the dessert. That took about 5 minutes to go from can and container to eating.

A very good meal and fun to make and show off some of my newly acquired skills with Japanese fare and flavors.

Your meal looks fantastic but what I have to know is where can I get your dinnerware?

Your meal looks fantastic but what I have to know is where can I get your dinnerware?

It's "Red Berries," by Mikasa. I got 2 place settings at TJ Maxx. I bought the salad plates and bowls for Miso Soup and Sushi. I was lucky enough they still had them when I went back for the dinner plates and cups.

Wow! I love your take on mushrooms. It all looks amazing. I love salmon and rice. The colors are striking in the dish and it sounds wonderful. The dessert is gorgeous! Did it take you long to make it?

I love soup. All soups. How long did yours take to make? It looks like it would be great throughout spring time.

You can definitely see the Bento influences, PF. Just a lovely presentation!

I'll bet it all tastes as good as it looks! Well-done!

Wow! I love your take on mushrooms. It all looks amazing. I love salmon and rice. The colors are striking in the dish and it sounds wonderful. The dessert is gorgeous! Did it take you long to make it?

I love soup. All soups. How long did yours take to make? It looks like it would be great throughout spring time.

You can definitely see the Bento influences, PF. Just a lovely presentation!

I'll bet it all tastes as good as it looks! Well-done!

Thank you, Kathleen!

The dessert took a few minutes, longer since I couldn't remember where I put the can opener.:LOL:

Making the Dashi for the soup broth took the longest of the entire soup, about 30 minutes. Sauteeting took about the same amount of time, since I did the mushrooms separate from the carrots and jalapeno and then I did the green onion. Once that was done, it was just a matter of putting it together.

New flavors and techniques! It was fun!

I am SO impressed! We just might have to re-nick you QueenFiona60. And live with the consequences of Shrek being a King. I'm going to give my kitchen a go with one, maybe the entree salmon...

Fiona , it all looks fabulous, your presentation is exquisite especially dessert! What. Nice touch, the dinnerware makes. Gotta love TJMaxx!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

I am SO impressed! We just might have to re-nick you QueenFiona60. And live with the consequences of Shrek being a King. I'm going to give my kitchen a go with one, maybe the entree salmon...

I got lucky and was able to get some Copper River Sockeye, same price as King Salmon and it looked better!

I'm glad you like the spread!:)

Fiona , it all looks fabulous, your presentation is exquisite especially dessert! What. Nice touch, the dinnerware makes. Gotta love TJMaxx!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

I found the dinnerware at Bed, Bath and Beyond today, the complete set...I got the 2 place settings for less than half price.

Thank you, I don't think much about presentation. Most often I just stick a spoon in the pot! And I never serve!:LOL:

PF you meal looks wonderful. the colors and the food iieas are great and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
kades

Back
Top Bottom