Golden Chef Challenge: Chocolate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moderator hat on:

Several posts have been removed from this thread. Please remember that this contest is intended to be FUN. Members may choose to participate or not as they like, but snarky comments and posts critical of others have no place here at Discuss Cooking. We are a community of folks who share a common interest in cooking; that does not however guarantee we will agree on all matters. We need to remember to treat each kindly which is why this statement is at the top of our site rules:

Be Courteous! We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Treating each other with respect and kindness, and thinking before you speak will go a long way towards making this an enjoyable place. We take the "be nice" rule very seriously.
If you have specific concerns please contact a moderator or use the report post button. Let's focus on moving forward in a positive way; considering that the subject is CHOCOLATE that should be easy. Happy cooking!

:chef:

I would like to add something here. A member contacted me last night saying they thought they might like to join in on the contest but with all that went on they weren't sure.

I hope that this person and others DO join in and return this to the fun exercise it was intended to be.

LPBeier said:
I would like to add something here. A member contacted me last night saying they thought they might like to join in on the contest but with all that went on they weren't sure.

I hope that this person and others DO join in and return this to the fun exercise it was intended to be.

I agree- the more the merrier! Anyone considering joining in please disregard any disagreements, as it was just a simple misunderstanding, and hopefully does not reflect how things will go from here on.

LP, I would hope that we would be able to do this again sometime in the future as I would love to participate... I don't have the time for this challenge and to be perfectly honest with you, even if I did have the time I feel the same way as the member who PM'd you... It is very unfortunate but i'm hoping that we can try this once again...

XOXO Mimi

We all love to cook. It's in our nature, if at first we don't succeed, to learn from it, and enthusiastically try again.

I, for one, applaud everyone's passionate first effort at the GCC. And, am still looking forward to voting on or around the 12th.

Someone please clarify something. We need 5 courses, but no particular courses. Soups, salad, appetizer, hors d'oeuvres, first course, entree, sides, dessert, beverage, whatever. Just pick 5 things. Right?

Someone please clarify something. We need 5 courses, but no particular courses. Soups, salad, appetizer, hors d'oeuvres, first course, entree, sides, dessert, beverage, whatever. Just pick 5 things. Right?

Hi Friend are you thinking of entering? Jump in I know you can do it.

Josie

Now I'M confused, I thought it was 3 courses (appy, main course and dessert) and a beverage. :wacko:

So, let's go over the rules again.
Theme ingredient - chocolate, in any form

1. The theme ingredient must be used in all recipes posted
2. Recipes for each item will be provided in the post
3. Pictures of the finished items will be posted
4. There will be three courses, appetizer, main course, desert, and a beverage
5. Contestant must give an accurate critique of each recipe, telling difficulty, quality of the foods prepared, i.e. taste, texture, execution.
6. All entries will be posted no later than Feb. 12, 2011 by 9:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

Judging will be done by poll. Poll categories:

1. Best plating
2. Best flavor, appetizer
3. Best flavor, main course
4. Best flavor desert
5. Best flavor, beverage
6. Most competent use of the theme ingredient
7. Most imaginative use of theme ingredient
8. Who do you think did the best job?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I was going by this, which would be the 3 dishes with a beverage. I think we could use some more clarification. This is starting to get to be a lot.

If you think about eating at a restaurant, there are typically three courses. But the first course might have two appetizers. The main course might have a protein, a veggie, and a starch. The desert might be a multi-ingredient thing, like maby a piece of hot pie, with some type of topping made separately, or even multiple choices.

You can still have at least 5 items within a three course meal. So, though there are three courses, what you put in those courses is up to you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Okay, everyone, it is time for me to fess up. I offered to put the polls up for GW as he was having problems with it. I was sick all weekend with a horrid stomach flu and jumped the gun a bit. I also read what he had, but in my mind it was five courses (I am used to cooking this but not many are. And I skipped the beverage altogether even though this was all in the post above from GW that I was working from.

From what I can tell of Goodweed's intention, the polls should be for appetizer, main, dessert and beverage and your interpretations of those course are up to you. An appetizer can be soup, salad, etc.

If GW can confirm this for me once and for all I will redo the polls and set them for February 12th.

Okay, everyone, it is time for me to fess up. I offered to put the polls up for GW as he was having problems with it. I was sick all weekend with a horrid stomach flu and jumped the gun a bit. I also read what he had, but in my mind it was five courses (I am used to cooking this but not many are. And I skipped the beverage altogether even though this was all in the post above from GW that I was working from.

From what I can tell of Goodweed's intention, the polls should be for appetizer, main, dessert and beverage and your interpretations of those course are up to you. An appetizer can be soup, salad, etc.

If GW can confirm this for me once and for all I will redo the polls and set them for February 12th.

You are absolutely correct.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

What if you were to place the individual contestants as the poll choices, and then in the title, either put in the judging categories, or jsut make the poll reflect the overall quality of the meal, without individual categories. The people who respond should write why they like the contestant's recipes.

Just some thoughts.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This is what I did over a week ago, but I really like the idea of just having one poll judging overall quality of the meal and use of the ingredient. This is a friendly competition and how do you really vote on "taste" when you can't ;)?

I will remove all unnecessary polls and leave the one. By the above I believe I have GW's approval on this so will just go ahead.

The simpler the poll (and, with apologies to the hard-working contestants, the less a chore) the more members will chime in with a vote. Plus, we don't want to put too fine a line on "judging" - the shirt looks great, but the pants make your butt look big.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom