Kim's First BBQ Contest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
DH is going to be in his first cooking competition this weekend with the big smoker he made for his SIL and friends. It's a small competition in a small town...a perfect way to start. They will be cooking ribs, sausage and chicken thighs.

DH is taking my homemade rub and sauce, but some guy is supposedly supplying the ribs and giving them a case of sauce. Kim (DH) says they'll cook some both ways, and whichever one they like best is what they'll turn in to the judges.

He really worked hard yesterday on the sausages. He took regular breakfast sausage and re-ground it with the insides of some good brats. Then, through magical processes, he turned the meat into fatties stuffed with assorted good things.

As for the chicken thighs, he's not making any suggestions.

That's pretty cool. I wish him luck and wish I was there to eat whatever he's cooked :)
Let us know how things went.

Connie,
tell Kim I wish him the best..I know he will have some wonderful goodies to show for all his work..

Good Luck Kim

kadesma:)

I just hope he doesn't go "head first" into it! I remember that one!

Good luck Kim! I wish you my VERY, very best!!!!

Well, the guys didn't bring home any prizes, but they had a good time and learned a lot.
They got the ribs and sausage done too early, and they were dried out by the time they got to the judges, but they did get second place on their chicken thighs.

There's another competition coming up in a couple of weeks, and I think they're going to give it another go.

Well, the guys didn't bring home any prizes, but they had a good time and learned a lot.
They got the ribs and sausage done too early, and they were dried out by the time they got to the judges, but they did get second place on their chicken thighs.

There's another competition coming up in a couple of weeks, and I think they're going to give it another go.

As long as they had a good time doing something they love.... and second place is pretty good for the thighs!

Two things, Constance ....

First, congratulations to Kim on Second Place Chicken! Very impressive, especially first time out!!

Second, Kim may have done this, but if not .... when meats are done too early, they should be double-wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil and held in a "hot" cooler, i.e., an empty cooler with no ice. Not only does this not harm most meats (except maybe the crispy skin on chicken), the holding actually enhances them!

Lee

Although Kim built this smoker, he'd never cooked in it, and it cooks more efficiently than his smaller one. He said he left the meats in longer than he should have...he took them off when they were ready to eat, instead of allowing for the fact that they would continue to cook after they came out of the smoker.

Wow to he had never cooked on that smoker before! That was very brave. It's all a learning curve and now he's got one under his belt. He can pull that thing here and we'll practice until it comes out perfect! My husband will gladly be judge and jury! LOLOL I don't care how many times you smoke at home there has to be that underlying second-guessing going on at judgment time! I'm so excited for him!!!!!

Way to go Kim..Next time will be for you..I admire your getting out there and giving this a try.. Makes all of us feel we can try something new.

kadesma

He took regular breakfast sausage and re-ground it with the insides of some good brats. Then, through magical processes, he turned the meat into fatties stuffed with assorted good things.

Thanks for the recipe. Just need to brush up on my magical processes. :chef:

LOL..j/k

Congrats to Kim, et al. on 2nd, and just the enthusiasm to follow through with the competition. ;)

Back
Top Bottom