Pillsbury Bake-Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCook

Senior Cook
Has anyone ever entered the Pillsbury Bake Off? I am seriously thinking about entering it. I am not sure on a recipe yet but my wheels are turning. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
JCook

I entered the last one - I thought I had some kick-butt recipes but I didn't make it. Doesn't hurt to try. Keep in mind that the competition is fierce & a lot of the winners are people who win tons of cooking contests of every sort. These people are kinda "known on the circuit".

JCook, give it a try - have fun doing it! You will have the support of your friends here at DC!

Corrinne, I can't believe YOU didn't make it! You are awesome!

Go for it, JCook! Last year Pillsbury gave a Million Dollars to someone who entered a baked chicken recipe with stuffing made from frozen waffles!! I think the secret to winning is to use as many Pillsbury products in your recipe as possible!? If you haven't seen this recipe, click below or go to the Pillsbury website:

Baked Chicken and Spinach Stuffing

Baked Chicken and Spinach Stuffing on Yahoo! Food

Good Luck!!!!

Yeah I did see that recipe and I have looked at others that have won as well as the recipes that do win are so simple and have very few ingredients with most being from Pillsbury. So do you think I should come up with a recipe on the simple side? Thanks for the help.

JCook

JCook ~ You may have hit the nail on the head! A fairly simple recipe using Pillsbury products might just work! Somehow, you must make the recipe unique, too -- perhaps, a twist on a recipe that is commonly used by many people, such as the chicken and stuffing recipe that won last year. Good Luck!! Let us know if we can help in any way!

Hi, I was just reading your messages and I too am considering entering the Pillsbury bakeoff. I think it would be a lot of fun just to go be in it. I thought I read on the site that you couldn't participate more than 3 times. I guess that's how they eliminate the "regulars". Anyway, don't be discouraged if you have never entered a cooking contest before everyone has their first and you never know. I thought that chicken recipe that won last year looked kind of gross but in all fairness I haven't tasted it. Makes you wonder what the other finalists were making.

Hi and welcome, Amster 35. Glad you found us. It's a great place, wonderful recipes and members who will help with any of your questions.:)

I thought that chicken recipe that won last year looked kind of gross but in all fairness I haven't tasted it. Makes you wonder what the other finalists were making.

I'm so glad that someone else voiced exactly what I was thinking when I saw the picture and read the ingredients. I will definitely skip watching the video. :LOL:

Not to date myself, but I remember how good the winning recipes were before they started using all the processed products, when the only required ingredient was flour (circa late 1960s). In fact, an amazing and highly collectible cookbook is the 1959 collection of all the winning recipes from the inception of the contest ten years earlier. A copy in very good condition has gone for as high as $200 on eBay.

Did anyone end up entering the contest?

Hi,

I entered the contest and am anxious for the end of the month - that is when the finalists are called. Did anyone else here enter? I entered in the appetizer category.

Jenn

I'm no longer eligible since I'm a culinary professional, but back in the day (and I DO mean waaaaay back -- 1st time I was TEN years old) I entered twice. Never got any official recognition either time, but both times I saw my recipe --word for word -- on the appropriate package label.

So be fairwarned that they mean it when they say "All recipes become the property of Pillsbury and may be used by them in any way they choose with no compensation to the creator." (or some words to that effect). :ermm:

Go for it!!!!

Go for it..... I saw a show on the Food Network recently about the contest. Not sure if it was new or a re-run. You should look for it, it was inciteful in the ways of the cook off. Two things from the show. It was noted that the big winner tended to be a dessert and the three time rules referred to being a state finalist.

Again, go for it..... keep cooking

Kevin

I've never even heard of that contest.. I guess you can really tell im a newby.. but you should definetly go for it. !! Have fun while your at it :)

I thought that chicken recipe that won last year looked kind of gross but in all fairness I haven't tasted it. Makes you wonder what the other finalists were making.

I'm so glad that someone else voiced exactly what I was thinking when I saw the picture and read the ingredients. I will definitely skip watching the video. :LOL:

Not to date myself, but I remember how good the winning recipes were before they started using all the processed products, when the only required ingredient was flour (circa late 1960s). In fact, an amazing and highly collectible cookbook is the 1959 collection of all the winning recipes from the inception of the contest ten years earlier. A copy in very good condition has gone for as high as $200 on eBay.
I agree! I can't fathom making something I'd be proud to serve and eager to eat from packaged foods such as frozen waffles. Heck, they aren't even good waffles, IMHO.

As for the cookbook you mentioned, I have a copy in near mint condition, including the original dust jacket, and it's one of the stars of my collection. The contest started in 1949 and the book was published in 1959. The actual title is "Best of the Bake-Off Collection," subtitled "Pillsbury's Best 1000 Recipes." Unlike the recent contests, which require entrants to use prepackaged items in their recipes, the original contest required only that the cook be at least 12 years old and that the recipe call for at least 1/2 cup of Pillsbury's Best Flour. Consequently, the 608-page, hardbound book is a treasure trove of great original recipes, and there's not a waffle-stuffed chicken in the bunch.

BTW, I Googled "Best of the Bake-Off Collection" and found several copies of the original 1959 cookbook for as little as $50, depending on condition. Dust jackets are rare, as they always are with old books, but you can find a copy in good condition for about that price.

I've read quite a bit on cooking contests but have only begun to enter them this year.

From what I've read, the first cut is typically made based on the rules: did you use what you were suppose to, in the right amounts and submit it in the right format - that should be obvious but apparently that kicks out a lot of entries. I've read that many cooks forget to give measurements for items!

The next set of cuts varies as to what criteria they use, but it seems that no matter who writes on the subject, having a kick-butt name for the recipe helps to catch the judges attention. Since the judges have so many recipes to read to narrow the field, it makes sense that the number of products used and a catchy name would rank a recipe higher than a really good recipe that can be made from anyone's product.

This contest is the top banana but almost impossible for me to compete in - I have celiac disease and can't eat gluten - no wheat rice barley, oats or products made with these items (ie soy sauce). Yes, it could be done, but I keep a strict gluten free kitchen. I've struggled with the decision - if I did get to a cook off - I can't taste to adjust anywhere along the way!!

It doesn't cost anything to enter (some contests have entry fees). So as long as you eat you're recipe attempts you're not wasting anything. So you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Stacy
NY, NY

Last edited:
\\\
So as long as you eat you're recipe attempts you're not wasting anything. So you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Stacy
NY, NY

I am working on a recipe for a cornbread cook off..... have made it a few times for my on taste testing. The last time my roommate was my taste tester.The funeral will be....... just kidding, he loved it, but I was not as happy. Will be trying again this week.

Back
Top Bottom