PPPC-II. It's baaaack...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This recipe could have used more bite to it. Maybe more cumin and chili powder, but it was still pretty good. And another week under my belt... well, maybe a little over my belt :ermm:
Week 6 Detroit Coney Dogs.

gawd, will you look at them beauties...exaakkly how i like 'em, too--big plateful of sloppy, oozy, spilling-out n' overstuffed chili dawgs!:yum:

Thanks Carol.
Thanks Vit.

The taste was stronger than I first thought, as I could pretty much taste them all night, in a good way (not a burping way, lol). They didn't have the kick of the Greek dogs served around Erie, but you were spot on, Vit. They were overflowing and oozy. Just perfect.

Andy, I saw that game (football). I can't believe they came back. The Saints fell back on their heels and whadayaknow? The receivers started hanging onto the football. Heckuva finish. And great highlite on that grand slam. Did you see the catcher in the bullpen actually caught the ball? Didn't even flinch with that guy rolling over the fence, lol.

KB, you don't say where you're from, so maybe you have no clue, but no, here in the US the Super Bowl hasn't ended yet. It's not even halfway through our football season. Otherwise how could I even be doing this if my team wasn't playing? :LOL:

Oh, I'm from the US and IN the US. I just have 0% sports-watching DNA. And since the only TV I watch is online (mostly PBS) I never see even so much as an ad - so I have no idea when whatever-season starts or ends, LOL! Football always confuses me - seems to me it shouldn't be over until around Thanksgiving, but since I don't celebrate that either, I don't really have a very good idea of when the superbowl comes around.

Heck, since they started putting up Xmas stuff at Halloween (or earlier), I find myself coming more and more unglued in time ... LOL!

Amazing Comeback Day in Boston. First Brady brought the Pats back to beat the Saints with 5 seconds to go. Then the Red Sox fought back from a 5-1 deficit with a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th and a walk-off run for the win in the bottom of the 9th!

Lots of yelling at the Andy M. household Sunday!

You Too? Spike stayed home all day so he could be rested up for the games. Sorry Cooking Goddess. Not like him to miss a day of work. That last second win by Brady was amazing. Now that is the Pats I know and love!

Andy, one year (my memory fails me here) we were playing for a championship. It was the last seconds of the game and we were behind. I changed the channel thinking we lost. At the last second I switched back just in time to see the ball sailing between the posts. Lesson learned. I always make sure I see the very last seconds of any Pats game. :angel:

Looks good Pac. Tomatoes in the holding sauce. Those crazy cheese-heads. Never heard of it, but it sounds good.

PS. Thanks for doing part of my research. Vikes play GB next week and again late Nov. Definitely brats one week. I notice the link says German potato salad is acceptable to serve alongside brats, so I might do that. And included in the Wis food pyramid -- brats, beer and cheese, walleye could be included, so there's that to consider.

Normally when GB plays another team, I cheer for them, after-all we are neigbhors. Today I will change my attitude and go Browns :LOL:

Thanks for the cheer, whiska, we need all the help we can get!

Yeah, the holding sauce... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to reduce that or what. I think it would be tasty to put some on the sandwich, but not if it's the consistency of soup.
Although I am cooking it on the side burner on my grill, so at the moment I have no idea how it's going to come out, lol. Bit of a heat regulation learning curve.

Ny Ny

Giants vs Vikings. Why oh why does this merit Monday Night football for either team.

Frank Sinatra was from Jersey. The Giants play in the meadow lands. I guess that about covers it. You can stop reading now if you want. It’s quite possible the Statue of Liberty is located in part of Jersey, although it is seldom acknowledged. “As agreed in an 1834 compact between New York and New Jersey that set the state border at the bay's midpoint, the original islands remain New York territory despite their location on the New Jersey side of the state line. Land created by reclamation at Ellis is New Jersey territory. “ This logically explains why NY Giants play in New Jersey today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YjIsUc4Ank

What is the best foods to be found in NY? NY is famous for so many foods. Pizza and bagels. Both claim it’s the water that makes them distinctive. Lindy’s cheesecake, deli pastrami and reubens.

I settled on a NY Strip steak. Go big or don’t play. I found one that is nicely marbled. I usually don’t look at this cut, I much prefer grilled sirloins. Grilled unless it’s actively raining. Well, they play football in the rain, So I guess I should Plan on grilling. No more heavy decisions today.

Week 7 already.
Today my Browns are playing the Packers, as in Green Bay Packers.
Today's menu came from this site Superbowl Recipe: Squeaky Cheese and Other Green Bay Treats - CaryCitizen | CaryCitizen
I will be making the brats with holding sauce and fried cheese curds :yum:

Never heard of fried cheese curds, but they look extremely yummy! :yum: I checked out the recipe and it looks straightforward enough - but I assume you have to form "balls" out of the curd? (Unless curds on your side of the pond are already in balls or lumps?) And is there really no bread-crumbing involved? I definitely need to see a pic of the finished product Pac! :)

Also, can you explain what "holding sauce" means? It's not a term I have heard before.

Oh yeah, you got the new grill this summer. Having a side burner right next to you is usefull. I forget off the top my head what grill you settled on. I remember you had to run a gas line direct. Smart idea. I always give myself whip lash when we walk into Home Depot or Sears etc. Gotta take a look at all the grills, like I've never seen one before. :LOL:

I like my Weber kettle I got a year or so ago. The kettle looks the same, but it regulates the heat so it performs so much better. The old one was missing several fly wheels, so it was always wide open. That, and using a probe thermometer makes for better grilling.

Ahh I see the Browns play 2nd afternoon games today. I say Good luck to everybody's teams today.

Katy, the holding sauce is for holding the brats at the ready. Basically just to keep them warm until you are ready to eat one. I had never heard of this before either, but my brats are in the holding sauce as I type.

Whiska! NY Strip! Great idea!
I think my team is playing either the Giants or Jets and I was getting a bit overwhelmed with all the choices. Unfortunately, many which require some kind of dough (which I did not want to get into on a Sunday). Steak. Perfect.

And thanks for the history lesson. I did not realize that about the islands.
And you have Josh to look forward to, don't you? Isn't he starting today? That might be a spark.

Katy, the holding sauce is for holding the brats at the ready. Basically just to keep them warm until you are ready to eat one. I had never heard of this before either, but my brats are in the holding sauce as I type.

Ah! Now it all makes sense! Thanks Pac! :)

Hope your meal all comes together beautifully!

I'm saving the curds for tonight, when I do round 2 on the brats.
You can buy cheese curds here already formed into a little ball, shaped like gnocchi. I am not looking forward to dipping those little things into a batter... I have a hard time handling tiny breaded/battered food and getting it into the oil without the batter coming off on my fingers or whatever I'm using.

Katy,

Cheese curds are a famous food served at State Fairs, which most states have once per year. Served deep fried at many local fairs too. Hot, the best are grease free after frying. And yes, they Squeak when you bite into them. We can buy them ready to cook in the freezer section at the store.

Vikings, 3rd new quarterback in 3 weeks. Hoping third times the charm.

Last edited:
Katy,

Cheese curds are a famous food served at State Fairs, which most states have once per year. Served deep fried at many local fairs too. Hot, the best are grease free after frying. And yes, they Squeak when you bite into them. We can buy them ready to cook in the freezer section at the store.

I wonder if I could achieve a similar effect using mini buffalo mozzarella balls? Those I can get hold easily enough. (Needless to say, no curds at my local stores!) :rolleyes:

They sound simply divine! :yum:

Yes. Breaded with panko crumbs or fine bread crumbs or Italian bread crumbs. Not sure how to make 'em stick to the cheese, maybe dip the cheese in a batter first? Serve with Beer and a dipping sauce for the cheese.

I'm saving the curds for tonight, when I do round 2 on the brats.
You can buy cheese curds here already formed into a little ball, shaped like gnocchi. I am not looking forward to dipping those little things into a batter... I have a hard time handling tiny breaded/battered food and getting it into the oil without the batter coming off on my fingers or whatever I'm using.

Well do please post a pic! :)

Yes. Breaded with panko crumbs or fine bread crumbs or Italian bread crumbs. Not sure how to make 'em stick to the cheese, maybe dip the cheese in a batter first? Serve with Beer and a dipping sauce for the cheese.

In the recipe that Pac posted a link to, it describes a batter that you dip the curds into but says nothing about breadcrumbs - but the picture does look like they are crumbed.

The good news is, after many years, my local store is finally stocking panko crumbs! Progress or what? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom