Basil Pesto and Marinated Artichoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I bought way too much for a pizza that I made last week. What else can I do with these two ingredients? I have them separate in two "bulk" containers...

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Last edited:
Have a meal of pasta with pesto and add the artichokes to a salad.

Use the artichokes with roasted red peppers and shrimp cooked in butter and wine over pasta.

Hi, Giggler. A couple of weekends ago, DH and I went on a picnic. I made a cold pasta salad with basil pesto as the dressing, with chopped tomatoes mixed in. I also made sandwiches based on Alton Brown's Pan Bagnat, using pesto as a spread for the bread, topped with grilled chicken, roasted peppers, Havarti cheese and romaine.

For the marinated artichokes, I sometimes make a version of focaccia, using refrigerated pizza dough from the grocery store, or make your own. Roll it out, drizzle with olive oil and Parmesan cheese, and bake for about 10 minutes at 350*F. Top with chopped marinated artichokes, roasted red peppers and more cheese, and bake for about 5 minutes. You can also put them on salads, or in a pasta salad with a vinaigrette dressing. HTH.

You can thin out the pesto with some good olive oil and toss it with some pasta (already suggested). My favorite combo is chunked fresh tomatoes, water-packed mozzarella cheese, a few basil sprigs chopped, your thinned out pesto, and radiatore pasta.

Take a baguette, slice it, grill it or toast in oven, slather on some goat cheese, top with some pesto, top with a few slivers of freshly roasted red pepper, add a glass of wine and call it dinner :chef:

For the artichokes you might want to add those to an Alfredo with a few sun dried tomatoes.

You can also take what would be the equivalent of 1 can of artichokes and chop them, not too fine, 1 cup mayo, 1 cup green can of Parmesan, a few shakes of Tobasco, about 1/4 tsp. garlic powder and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and a bit brown. Use as a dip with some of that grilled baguette or other plain cracker.

You can portion out the basil pesto in an ice cube tray, freeze it, then put it in a bag in the freezer. It freezes well and you can thaw small portions to use as you go along.

No help with the artichoke hearts, as I'm not fond of them and don't really cook with them.

Take a nice piece of Italian bread, cut it in 1/2 . Spread pesto on both sides. layer of fresh Mozzarella, layer of marinated artichokes, make the sandwich and eat.

Back
Top Bottom