Brandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
That's it, brandy.
After making Snip's creamed chicken livers recipe, which got a little brandy flambé action, I'm looking for something else that would lend itself to this flavor and method. Something TNT. I've got a lot of brandy to use up... not that any hasn't been finding its way down my gullet, but I'm just not a brandy drinker.

Brandy Alexander with ice cream. Brandy, dark creme de cacao, vanilla ice cream in the blender. Garnish with hazelnuts or nutmeg. You can sub half and half for the ice cream.

My grandma made a brandy-soaked fruit compote.

I order my mom brandy-soaked fruit cake from some monestary, she loves it.

Last edited:
That's it, brandy.
After making Snip's creamed chicken livers recipe, which got a little brandy flambé action, I'm looking for something else that would lend itself to this flavor and method. Something TNT. I've got a lot of brandy to use up... not that any hasn't been finding its way down my gullet, but I'm just not a brandy drinker.

And how was the Chicken Liver Brandy Fillet?
You can make pudding, something like sticky toffee pudding with brandy or add a cup of sugar to what is left, a cinnamon stick, a few cloves, and star anise and leave it in a dark place for a few weeks to infuse. Drink this as a night cap over ice or warmed with some apple juice like you would mulled wine etc.

No, no, no, no..... I want something else I can flambé with it :LOL:
Seriously, the drinks sound nice, but I was looking more for food oriented uses. I never really paid attention to flambé style cooking or what alcohol they were using. The flavor seems like it would lend itself well to a beef dish. Maybe I'll Google beef cooked using brandy and see what it produces.

Flambe some peaches, plums or figs in Brandy and serve with ice cream, use it in marinades for BBQ'd Beef, veal any other red meat.
Make green peppercorn and brandy cream sauce or flambe some mushrooms in brandy and make a creamy sauce etc.

You could probably flambe muffins, or anything else with enough brandy! Cherries Jubilee and Bananas Foster come to mind.

Jacques Pepin calls it pyrotechnic cooking.

The brandy is a nice way to finish a strip steak that has been cooked in a cast iron frying pan. I suppose you could do it with chicken or pork also. It just gives a nice finish. I use it in baking as a substitute for vanilla extract also. I don't drink it, to me it tastes like paint thinner.

I was wondering if I could substitute the brandy for the rum in bananas foster...

I don't cook steaks in a pan, Aunt Bea, do you think I could toss some on the steak while it is grilling, or would I be better to transfer the steak to a pan and then flambe it?

I was wondering if I could substitute the brandy for the rum in bananas foster...

I don't cook steaks in a pan, Aunt Bea, do you think I could toss some on the steak while it is grilling, or would I be better to transfer the steak to a pan and then flambe it?

I think you will be o.k. as long as you cook enough for the fire department and the EMT's:LOL:

If you bake, you can substitute brandy for vanilla extract in recipes. Toss some in a bowl of fruit.

pacanis said:

I think you are supposed to take it off the heat source before lighting it!

I think you are supposed to take it off the heat source before lighting it!

That's what I did the other night, I took the pan off the burner before adding the brandy.

Maybe I'll try substituting brandy for vanilla next time I make ice cream, or banana nut bread. That should use up a couple teaspoons ;)

it takes 100 proof plus to light easily - the rest is up to the desired "residual flavor"

Cherries are in season right now, macerate pitted, fresh cherries for a couple of hours in the brandy, put in fireproof dish and light, enjoy!

The brandy...I don't drink it, to me it tastes like paint thinner.

Brandy isn't one of my favorite drinks, because I can't afford the Brandy that is good tasting to me. Like most types of booze, the more it costs, the better it gets, flavor wise. Not always true, but mostly.

The only Brandy I ever tried and liked was $300 a bottle.....never mind. I'll use the cheap stuff to cook with. It does taste like paint thinner when I've tried drinking it. Yucko Bucko!:sick:

Back
Top Bottom