Carrots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
whelp, I needed to get last years, over wintered, carrots out of the garden to make way for the rototiller, and I had been secretly praying that the mice had gotten them, but, no, yesterday I dug 61 pounds of perfect carrots:wacko:.

So I am looking for any ideas for cooked, raw, saladed (is that a word?) and especially carrot soup recipes. Got any? she says pleadingly:)

I'm sure the Waskawy Wabbit would wove dem.

Holy bunch of carrots, Batman.
img_594212_0_ba503c6daf2d177e7dfae808be056503.gif

Wow!! 61 pounds....That a lot of Carrots.....Do you have a juicer?? Love carrot juice!
Or you could make some friends...share some with your neighbors!!

Ideas:
Carrot pie (cook and mash like you would pumpkin and then follow a pumpkin pie recipe

Carrot Cake

Shredded carrot salad (combine shredded carrots with salad dressing, raisins, and sugar)

Orange Jello with shredded carrots, walnuts and raisins.

Use to make veggie stock.

Use in tomato sauce (including both Italian and French versions)

Use in slaws

Use with potatoes in boiled dinner, potato soup

Shred and add to split pea, bean, and lentil soups

Cook and add to seafood chowders

Saute' and use in stir-fries

Dice and add to various stuffings and dressings

Juice

Add to fruit smoothies

Steam and top with powderd ginger, butter, and honey

Steam and cream (add to a Bechemel or Blonde Sauce)

Slice into salads

Cook, puree, and add to chicken or turkey broth, along with onion and celery.

Add to chili

Make carrot bread (similar to carrot cake), or add to other similar breads such as apple, or spice bread.

Serve as a carrot sticks.

Combine with mushrooms, potatoes, beef cubes, and celery. Cook until the meat is tender and thicken all with a browned roux to make stew. Use the broth from the cooked ingredients to thin the roux into gravy.

Cook alongside a roast, along with potatoe, celery, onion, and garlic cloves to make a yankee pot roast.

Bake on a veggie pizza with other toppings of your choice.

Well, that's all I can think of in a quick minute and I've got to get ready for church now.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm sure the Waskawy Wabbit would wove dem.

Holy bunch of carrots, Batman.
img_594222_0_ba503c6daf2d177e7dfae808be056503.gif

Hey, Jeeks, did you notice that fence around the garden? I'll never forget the first year we gardened after the fence was in place. We planted just like we did before the fence....well....we did not comprehend how much we were (over) planting for the animals...and we planted enough carrots for the whole county. Jeepers, we didn't realize how many carrot tops we were losing to the bunnies.

And actually, the coyotes have wiped out the wabbit population the last few years, I rarely see a bunny, and never see him/her twice:(

nope, UB, no juicer. Yes, we will share with friends and neighbors. Currently the carrots are occupying about 25% of my refrigerator space. But back to the juice idea, I add carrots to my tomato juice I can in the fall, I'll experiment with the blender. Do you add any other veggie?

Mollie Katzen's "The New Moosewood Cookbook" has 2 different recipes that look really good (one is for a gingered carrot soup and the other is for an herbed carrot soup). From the look of either recipe, you would use up 2 lbs of carrots and both look like they would freeze well. I've tried several other soup recipes of hers and they have always been good.

I also have a recipe from a local restaurant's cookbook ("14kt Gold Carrot Soup"). Her's are stated in restaurant qualities so would use about 10 lbs of carrots and again looks like it would freeze well.

So I don't break any copyright rules, let me know if any sound interesting and I will PM them to you.

Mollie Katzen's "The New Moosewood Cookbook" has 2 different recipes that look really good (one is for a gingered carrot soup and the other is for an herbed carrot soup). From the look of either recipe, you would use up 2 lbs of carrots and both look like they would freeze well. I've tried several other soup recipes of hers and they have always been good.

I also have a recipe from a local restaurant's cookbook ("14kt Gold Carrot Soup"). Her's are stated in restaurant qualities so would use about 10 lbs of carrots and again looks like it would freeze well.

So I don't break any copyright rules, let me know if any sound interesting and I will PM them to you.

YES, I am looking for that recipe. I have the Enchanted Broccoli Forest and it is not in it. Just one of Mollies recipes will be enough.. Thank you

I make a sauce out of peanut butter, milk, brown sugar and cinnamon that works great on steamed carrots.

Are you set up for canning?? You could can up a bunch of cooked carrots...

You could also donate them to a local shelter....

bethzaring said:
nope, UB, no juicer. Yes, we will share with friends and neighbors. Currently the carrots are occupying about 25% of my refrigerator space. But back to the juice idea, I add carrots to my tomato juice I can in the fall, I'll experiment with the blender. Do you add any other veggie?

My only experience with "fresh" carrot juice was several years ago in Houston Texas at Randol's Food Stores. In their New Generation and Flag Ship stores they had a 'juice bar' of sorts...For carrot juice they used 50# of bulk carrots at each juicing. The juice (100% pure) was absolutely awesome! I almost made my self sick drinking it. Back home I bought "canned' carrot juice...no comparision to the fresh! They also had formulated an in store version of V8 that would make Campbells's blush. Funny thing, today I have little interest in a raw carrot, and only eat them in stews/soups/etc after par-boiling, pre-cooking etc..... We have only canned 100% tomato juice in the past, which makes an awesome Bloody Mary!!!;)

Are you set up for canning?? You could can up a bunch of cooked carrots...

You could also donate them to a local shelter....

well, yeah, I am set up for canning, thanks, never thought of that, scheesh, that's why I post these questions...always get great suggestions..

no local shelters here, but I will contact the local ministerial association..

My only experience with "fresh" carrot juice was several years ago in Houston Texas at Randol's Food Stores. In their New Generation and Flag Ship stores they had a 'juice bar' of sorts...For carrot juice they used 50# of bulk carrots at each juicing. The juice (100% pure) was absolutely awesome! I almost made my self sick drinking it. Back home I bought "canned' carrot juice...no comparision to the fresh! They also had formulated an in store version of V8 that would make Campbells's blush. Funny thing, today I have little interest in a raw carrot, and only eat them in stews/soups/etc after par-boiling, pre-cooking etc..... We have only canned 100% tomato juice in the past, which makes an awesome Bloody Mary!!!;)

interesting, I also am not one for fresh carrots, dh eats them fresh EVERY day:wacko:. I make my own v8 juice, but the other 7 veggies are not here right now! Still am gonna try buzzing some carrots and prob some onions. My celery and parsley plants are a wee bit small..

If you try the carrot juice, try adding fresh orange and pineapple juices too. Very yummy. My ex liked beetroot, carrot and apple. Think it had some ginger in to.

Also grate finely and add carrots to any dish involving ground meat. It mixes in really well and just becomes a good way to get a vege in your diet, eg hamburgers, spaghetti etc.

I wish u would give me the secret to successfully growing carrots, since mine always look like deformed little nubs, not even worth the space i set aside for them to grow :)

I wish u would give me the secret to successfully growing carrots, since mine always look like deformed little nubs, not even worth the space i set aside for them to grow :)

First, you really need soft, loamy soil. If the carrot hits a rock or hard lump, it gets quite cranky. Till the soil really well. Try different varities. Read the seed catalogs closely and order seeds that fit your situation. You have plently of time to research this. We make two to three plantings. The latest planting will be wintered over.

If you try the carrot juice, try adding fresh orange and pineapple juices too. Very yummy. My ex liked beetroot, carrot and apple. Think it had some ginger in to.

Also grate finely and add carrots to any dish involving ground meat. It mixes in really well and just becomes a good way to get a vege in your diet, eg hamburgers, spaghetti etc.

Thanks for the apple idea, beets:sick: would ruin it for me:LOL:. I have some vintage apple cider in the frig, might be interesting:ROFLMAO:.

Yep, I do shred carrots and add to meatloaf especially. I like the moisture it adds.

Back
Top Bottom