Clam chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I've seen clam chowder threads here before, but I'm actually asking a favor from some of you chowder experts...or just practical cooks.

Pretend you're handicapped and can't stand for more than 5 minutes, and have (can only get) canned clams. How would you make clam chowder?

I always start by sweating out bacon, then cooking diced onion in the fat, like I do for potato soup. I have left-over baked potatoes to use, and whole milk or evaporated milk, but no cream.

How would you all proceed from there? I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Hey, Connie! Hey, Connie. Pick me. I have the same problem. You already know where Buck and I live. We suffer the same "grocery" challenges as you.

I have adapted a tasty clam chowder recipe using canned clams and bottled clam juice. However, now that I've tempted you, I have to post it later because I'm not at a computer that I can get to the recipe.

It's a great recipe and we really enjoy it. I'll try to remember tomorrow to post it.

Post that recipe Katie!
I just half watched AB make some clam chowder (he used whole milk btw, Constance) and I'm in the mood. I never made it before and have 4 or 5 cans of chopped clams that I usually use to add to a Pasta Roni box.

Am going to say something that a great proportion of the clam chowder eating world considers heresy. But if standing is a problem, go with Manhattan clam chowder.

Was raised on the stuff. After many peregrinations wound up for a few years in MA and adore the New England version also.

And, I hope no one I know is on the web, prefer the New England style.

But the Manhattan is darned good and does not take all that time at the stove.

Hey, Connie! Hey, Connie. Pick me. I have the same problem. You already know where Buck and I live. We suffer the same "grocery" challenges as you.

I have adapted a tasty clam chowder recipe using canned clams and bottled clam juice. However, now that I've tempted you, I have to post it later because I'm not at a computer that I can get to the recipe.

It's a great recipe and we really enjoy it. I'll try to remember tomorrow to post it.

I actually have a bottle of clam juice. LOL! I don't feel like making it until tomorrow anyway, so no prob.

Pacanis, I can't believe it...I just watched the same show. :LOL:

Am going to say something that a great proportion of the clam chowder eating world considers heresy. But if standing is a problem, go with Manhattan clam chowder.

Was raised on the stuff. After many peregrinations wound up for a few years in MA and adore the New England version also.

And, I hope no one I know is on the web, prefer the New England style.

But the Manhattan is darned good and does not take all that time at the stove.

Yes it is, Aunt Dot. But I don't know how to make that style.

I actually have a bottle of clam juice. LOL! I don't feel like making it until tomorrow anyway, so no prob.

Pacanis, I can't believe it...I just watched the same show. :LOL:

:LOL: Nothing like a good food show to put the masses in the mood for whatever they were cookin' :LOL:

Aunt Dot When I was the chef at a country club . Every Thursday I got a big box of fish bones and heads and made my stock for chowder on Friday. 3 Fridays I made Boston Clam Chowder with heavy cream and a butter roux on the 4th friday I made manhatten style The members like all of it although Boston was considered there fav.

I always used canned clams. The recipe is posted on here somewhere. I'll try to find it.

Found it.

3 10 oz cans chopped clams
1 lb bacon
3 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme (some times I use parsley instead)
2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Open canned clams reserving all juice
set aside

cut up bacon, removing a lot of the extra fat
in large sauce pan cook bacon until crisp. Keeping the bacon and the grease in the pan
add potatoes, clam juice, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, onions, pepper,bouillon cubes.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about ten minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Combind milk, cream and flour till smooth. Add to potatoe mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in Clams. Return to boiling reduce heat. Cook for a few minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste.

If soup is too thick add more milk or cream
if soup is too thin add more flour mixing with milk or cream first!

We add a tablespoon of butter to each bowl when serving ( not at all good for you
but it tastes great!!!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom