Cleaning out the freezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love roasted baby carrots with just s&p, olive oil, and whatever herbs I have on hand. Rosemary is nice. Or cooked with grated ginger and orange juice.

Last edited:
Roasted was where I was leaning Dawgluver. ;)

Olive Oil, S&P are on hand. :mrgreen:

Any suggestion as to what herbs to use to complement the salmon and sauce?

I have a ton of dried herbs and spices on hand but just have no creativity to create something. :(

I think your salmon sauce is probably strong enough to hold up to bold carrot flavors. Rosemary, thyme, dill, parsley, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar, citrus zest, almost any would work. Butter is good too.

Last edited:
Thanks so much.

Butter. S&P, and Rosemary will be what my carrots will receive. :yum:

And since you said nutmeg they might see a hint of that also. ;)

BTW the sauce belongs to mudbug and my thanks go out to them.

Old posts are gold. :chef:

They are indeed! I think I might have to roast me up some carrots with rosemary and nutmeg as well, thanks for the inspiration, Zagut!

I went on another Archeological dig in the freezer. :eek:

Found a package labeled Deer Steak.

Again only God knows how long it's been hiding there.

No freezer burn at all. :)

It's about 1"1/4 thick and 3"x 5" in size.

I was thinking pan frying it in bacon fat to Medium Rare with S&P but any suggestions are welcome.

Side ideas so far are baked sweet tater and a blank after that.

Maybe steamed spinach?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Baked sweet potato and spinach sides sound perfect, Z. I love a sliced hard cooked egg in spinach. Lucky find, it pays to go on freezer dives. ;):yum:

I'm glad they sound perfect Cheryl because that's what it's going to be for dinner. :chef:

Digging into the freezer every now and again can have it's rewards.

It can also bring about a WTF is this reaction.

I've been lucky so far.

Anyone else have any lost in the freezer stories? ;)

Same as Andy. I keep a black Sharpie in the drawer next to the fridge and write the date on the bag and what's in it. I've had too many surprises in the past by not doing that :ermm::LOL:, now it's just habit.

I also keep a list using a white board marker on the freezer. Since I have more than one freezer, I don't go digging in the wrong spot for the treasure I seek.

I label contents and date and sometimes even intended use. I am not organized enough to use a white board, though it sounds like a good idea.

How was your deer steak, Zagut? Probably yummy, since you said you were using bacon. Mmmm, bacon. :yum:

Packages go into my freezer with a date as well as identifying the contents.

Same as Andy...

I label contents and date and sometimes even intended use...
What, no sense of adventure? :huh: Actually, fresh foods do get labeled and dated most of the time. Leftovers? Not always, hence every excavation has the potential for a new surprise.

Back in the early days when Himself was still feigning "helpful", he would label the packages. "Pork Butt" became an image of a pig's hiney. :LOL: He was then relieved of his duties.

What, no sense of adventure? :huh: Actually, fresh foods do get labeled and dated most of the time. Leftovers? Not always, hence every excavation has the potential for a new surprise.
Sure, sometimes the labels become illegible.
Back in the early days when Himself was still feigning "helpful", he would label the packages. "Pork Butt" became an image of a pig's hiney. :LOL: He was then relieved of his duties.
I love the idea of that kind of graphics. I'm reminded of the time a friend of Stirling's added things to his shopping list. One of the items was "norkfronters". Stirling's mum came over while he was at work. She took the list and bought everything on it. She left a note that the norkfronters were in the crisper. He found a bag of grapes labelled "norkfronters" in the crisper. :LOL:

I label contents and date and sometimes even intended use. I am not organized enough to use a white board, though it sounds like a good idea.

How was your deer steak, Zagut? Probably yummy, since you said you were using bacon. Mmmm, bacon. :yum:

The Deer steaks wonderful CG.
Even had the leftovers as a steak sandwich today for lunch. :yum:
I'm glad to see you call it an excavation because that's what it is sometimes. :LOL:
Surprises are a good thing. These Bambi steaks were a great find.

And things can get lost in the depths of the freezer only to see the light of day when uncovered by something else's use.

That's what I was looking for when I asked for lost stories. ;)

I usually label and date what goes in but sometimes things are missed.
I knew what these steaks were I just didn't know the date.

I also couldn't use a whiteboard. I'd forget to add or subtract and soon wouldn't have a clue to what was in there.

Oh and I love the pig's hiney idea. If I had any drawing ability at all I be using that method to label my freezer contents. :bounce:

Sure, sometimes the labels become illegible.
I love the idea of that kind of graphics. I'm reminded of the time a friend of Stirling's added things to his shopping list. One of the items was "norkfronters". Stirling's mum came over while he was at work. She took the list and bought everything on it. She left a note that the norkfronters were in the crisper. He found a bag of grapes labelled "norkfronters" in the crisper. :LOL:

I just had to google norkfronters.

Only 1 result.
https://www.google.com/#q=norkfronters

Your on to something TL.

...I'm reminded of the time a friend of Stirling's added things to his shopping list. One of the items was "norkfronters". Stirling's mum came over while he was at work. She took the list and bought everything on it. She left a note that the norkfronters were in the crisper. He found a bag of grapes labelled "norkfronters" in the crisper. :LOL:
Dictating the grocery list to Himself while I did other things was an adventure too. Heaven forbid I lose one while in the store, only to be found by another shopper wondering what "poot berries"* or "bees' knees and mosquito knuckles"** were. There are jobs I just don't ask him to do anymore! :LOL:

*mushrooms
**long grain and wild rice mix

I have on the front of my fridge a magnetic pencil holder from the days of my granddaughter's H.S. days. I bought it for her to place inside her locker so she could keep a supply of pens and pencils. Well, her oldest child is now old enough to go off to college in a month or two. I keep a supply of small scissors in it as well as well as markers and pens. I try to cut out the labels of the meats when I am repackaging them for the freezer. The labels go just inside the last wrap and are visible through the freezer zippy bag. If I do not have enough room for all of the meats in one zippy bag, then I use the marker for the next package. But cutting out those labels has all the info I need and look for when I am buying and well as preparing the meats for the freeze.

Now if I could only figure out a way of placing the meats in the freezer so I can just reach in and find what I want on the first try. Of course, I want to make a hamburger and the ground meat is right at the very bottom and way in back. I start out with all the good intentions. It just doesn't say that way after my first foray into the depths of the freezer. It is so much easier at the end of the month when it is almost empty.

Oh yeah. My GD every so often will send me an email asking me if I still have that pencil holder and am I using it. I ignore her email. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom