Eggplants, mozarella, tomatoes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first thing that comes to mind is a take on eggplant Parmesan. Slice the eggplant about 1/4-inch thick, dredge in egg, then in breadcrumbs and fry in olive oil until the breadcrumb crust is browned and a bit crispy. Drain and then layer in a casserole alternately with sliced tomatoes and cheese. Add seasonings of your preference, but garlic, oregano and basil are great combos. Cover and bake.

This isn't a specific recipe, just a guide to get you started.

The first thing that comes to mind is a take on eggplant Parmesan. Slice the eggplant about 1/4-inch thick, dredge in egg, then in breadcrumbs and fry in olive oil until the breadcrumb crust is browned and a bit crispy. Drain and then layer in a casserole alternately with sliced tomatoes and cheese. Add seasonings of your preference, but garlic, oregano and basil are great combos. Cover and bake.

This isn't a specific recipe, just a guide to get you started.
Thanks katie, I don't have parmesan, but I have two other types of grated cheeses...
Here's an easy one, Argamemnon. Hostess with the Mostess® - Eggplant, Tomato, and Mozzarella Stacks

There are lots of recipes for "eggplant stacks" out there. If you have some herbs like basil or oregano, and a little olive oil for drizzling on the eggplant before baking, all the better!

Lee
Thank you Lee, I have different herbs but strangely not basil currently, and as we know basil is so important in combination with tomatoes, I think...

@Katie E

Should I mince the garlic and coat each slice of eggplant with it, or should I just put whole cloves between the layers in the casserole? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm not as experienced as you :chef:

@Katie E

Should I mince the garlic and coat each slice of eggplant with it, or should I just put whole cloves between the layers in the casserole? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm not as experienced as you :chef:

Not a stupid question at all. The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask.

As for the garlic, you can mince it and sprinkle it through the layers or, if you are using canned tomatoes, mix it with the tomatoes. Really, it's your preference how you wish to use it. You could even use some garlic powder in the breadcrumbs that are used to coat the eggplant instead of using minced garlic.

Just use what you have within the boundaries of your taste. With experience, you'll discover what works and what you like. Have fun with it. The worst that can happen is you have to order pizza or make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.;)

Not a stupid question at all. The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask.
True, but I was a little intimidated when I saw that you are a Certified Master Chef :)

As for the garlic, you can mince it and sprinkle it through the layers or, if you are using canned tomatoes, mix it with the tomatoes. Really, it's your preference how you wish to use it. You could even use some garlic powder in the breadcrumbs that are used to coat the eggplant instead of using minced garlic.
Thanks, I never use garlic powder though, I prefer fresh garlic...

The worst that can happen is you have to order pizza or make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.;)
That would be bad, lol....

I have eggplants, mozarella and tomatoes. Is there an easy recipe using these ingredients? Thanks in advance.....

I'd make an antipasto out of it.

Cut the egg plant into thin strip and broil it with olive oil, salt and pepper.

For the mozzarella and tomatoes, make bruscetta. Take a french bread and cut it into 1/2 inch circles. Dice a tomato and cut the mozzarella into thin strips. Broil the bread until it's toasted, and then put the tomatoes with strips of mozerella on top of them. Broil in the oven until teh cheese melts. Take them out and sprinkle chopped basil, olive oil, salt and pepper on top.

supper stacks

4 aubergine slices, cut on the diagonal into 1cm (1/2 in) thick slices
1 tbsp plain flour,
1 egg,
8 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs,
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan,
1 tsp dried thyme,
3 tbsp olive oil,
1 garlic clove,
2 tomatoes, sliced,
4 large slices French or Italian bread, cut on the diagonal,
100g (4oz) Mozzarella, sliced
salt and pepper,
mixed salad leaves, to serve

Coat the aubergine slices in teh flour, then dip in the egg. Mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and thyme, and use to coat the slices. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the garlic for 30 seconds, then remove and discard. Fry the aubergine in the same pan for 5-8 minutes, turning once, until tender and golden; remove and keep warm. Cook the tomatoes briefly in the same pan then remove and keep warm. Pre-heat the grill to high. Toast hte bread on both sides, then drizzle one side with any pan oil or extra olive oil. Lay the cheese on the bread and grill until it starts to melt. On the serving plates arrange the fried tomato slices over the cheese, then top with aubergine. Serve with the mixed salad leaves.

EGGPLANT LASAGNA

Eggplant
1 large eggplant, cut into 3/8-inch thick slices (about 16 slices)
olive oil
salt and pepper

Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on two baking sheets that have been lightly
coated with olive oil. Lightly brush or spray tops of eggplant with olive oil and season
with salt and pepper to taste. Broil eggplant on high, one baking sheet at a time, about
5 to 8 inches from heat source, until soft and lightly browned, about 2½ minutes. Use
spatula to turn slices, and season with salt and pepper. Broil 2½ minutes more. Repeat
with other baking sheet. Set aside.

Ricotta
1 15-ounce container part-skim ricotta cheese
¼ cup grated Romano cheese
1 egg
1 cup basil leaves, stems removed, loosely packed

Put ricotta, Romano cheese, egg and basil in bowl of food processor and mix well,
about one minute. Set aside.

Assembly
1 24-ounce jar spicy tomato sauce
12 "no-boil" lasagna noodles
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Lightly coat a 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish with olive oil. Spread 1 cup sauce in pan. Place
6 lasagna noodles over sauce, slightly overlapping. Spread half the ricotta mixture over
noodles. Top with 8 eggplant slices. Sprinkle eggplant with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
Repeat layers. Finish with remaining sauce and grated Parmesan cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° until bubbling and lightly browned, about 55 minutes. Let rest
10 minutes before serving.

Note: if you use regular lasagna noodles instead of the "no-boil" type, use only 6
noodles, cover the uncooked lasagna with plastic wrap and leave it on the refrigerator
overnight to soften the noodles. Bring to room temperature and uncover before baking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom