Extra dates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Unfortunately they are not in the entertainment form. :LOL:

Okay, I have about 10 oz of extra dates that I would like to use before they go bad.

What to do with them? I've never cooked anything with dates before. They are organic and pitted (not canned).

Date nut bread. I don't have a recipe but love a slice spread with a thin layer of cream cheese.

I also like to just eat them whole but am finding that I can't get through them fast enough.

Charoset, that is very interesting. How is it pronounced? Can you please spell it phonetically?

I'm going to a party this weekend and this looks like something I could bring as a spread for crackers...healthy and looks tasty!

The CH is like the sound you make when you are (sorry to be crass) trying to spit. It is a Hebrew word if that helps. The rest is already spelled phonetically. If you can not make that CH sound (liek a lot can't) then it would be har-o-set with the accent on the o.

I made a great pasta salad once using chopped dates, oxaca cheese, nuts (I think Pine)
and a if I remember correctly my cilinatro based pesto....

I wish I wrote down what I did... I always think I will remember how I made stuff but I never do... and then I cant re-create.

dates are great though.... they are really nice paired with cheese....

I would go with something soft like brie... or a tangy runny bleu... maybe drizzeled with some honey too slather that on some hearty crackers or a crusty bread.

I have no idea if they will go bad to be honest.

The ones I've been getting are pitted...so they could easily have mold inside of them and I wouldn't know and that just grosses me out...:huh:

I love dates-- they're so wonderful. I like to use them in place of sugar in muffins. Or just reduce the sugar (they're so sweet) and toss some chopped dates in the batter. I also have a recipe for a swiss chard with dates and pine nuts that's very good, if you want it.

I found a recipe in a magazine this afternoon for a Self-saucing Sticky Date Pudding. If you are interested in the recipe, let me know and I will PM it to you.

Back
Top Bottom