I have a freezer full of bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The stuffed mushrooms sound super tasty! I think I am going to do a pasta dish with some of it tonight. I like all of your ideas. I thought I would be eating this bacon until I was 80, but you guys are really helping me think beyond bacon and eggs and blts.

Omg the mushrooms look divine!!! I am doing that.

What is a moinkball?

Thanks. One of my fellow foodies showed me the stuffed shrooms. There's not much you can't do with a little cream cheese, jalapeno and BACON! :LOL:

A moink ball is a small frozen meatball wrapped in bacon, seasoned with a rub, smoked, then dipped in BBQ sauce and smoked some more.

The stuffed mushrooms sound super tasty! I think I am going to do a pasta dish with some of it tonight. I like all of your ideas. I thought I would be eating this bacon until I was 80, but you guys are really helping me think beyond bacon and eggs and blts.

Let me put it this way...
The last time bacon was on sale I bought ten lbs :angel:
Once the smoker or grill gets fired up you can easily burn through a lb or more. By the time I'm 80 I hope to have that cut back to half a lb ;)

pacanis said:
Thanks. One of my fellow foodies showed me the stuffed shrooms. There's not much you can't do with a little cream cheese, jalapeno and BACON! :LOL:

A moink ball is a small frozen meatball wrapped in bacon, seasoned with a rub, smoked, then dipped in BBQ sauce and smoked some more.

I think maybe I will do these for the bf's poker game on Monday... He would like firing up the grill!

How about making potato-cheese-bacon filling for perogies? When I make perogies, I use about 2# of bacon (but then, I make about 30 dozen at a time).

How about making potato-cheese-bacon filling for perogies? When I make perogies, I use about 2# of bacon (but then, I make about 30 dozen at a time).

How do you make your perogies? My husband is polish, so it would be a hit! I can't make much more than Mrs. T's. I have tried but they didn't taste anything like his mom's coveted recipe which I am not privy to.

On pizza. BLTs. Rumaki.. Angels/Devils on Horseback. I don't know about your family, but if I fry (or nuke) a pound, it will disappear. Super to "lard" a too-lean cut of meat (especially game).

Bacon is never a problem! You can make many pasta dishes like carbonara, or a blt pasta, using bacon, leeks, and cherry tomatoes. Or if you're feeling really adveturous try making fat washed bourbon! You can fry the bacon on the stove then add all of the grease into your favorite bourbon and freeze. The fat will freeze to the top, just scrape of and serve bourbon on ice or with bitters. it gives the bourbon a smoky quality. You can also use it in savory bread pudding or ontop of maple glazed dounuts, yummy!:P

Ok, never heard of this, but it sounds like just something I might try to make, if I had the right ingredients around. Are you feeling adventurous? Are you ready to make a statement in the world of creativity? Are you insane!

Maple fudge with crispy bacon bits.

Home made vanilla ice cream with crispy bacon bits.

If you make these, I jsut bet they'd be good.

Last edited:
Ok, never heard of this, but it sounds like just something I might try to make, if I had the right ingredients around. Are you feeling adventurous? Are you ready to make a statement in the world of creativity? Are you insane!

Maple fudge with crispy bacon bits.

Home made vanilla ice cream with crispy bacon bits.

If you make these, I jsut bet they'd be good.

I'm thinking your cooking contest might have been better off with bacon now instead of chocolate...

:ROFLMAO:
(just kiddin')

Make some bean with bacon soup.
5321306033_957a7cfc58.jpg

I use bacon in my potato soup...chop the bacon in small pieces and cook it with the onions. Then add a little flour to the grease, stir in some milk and/or chicken broth, add diced potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender and broth is thickened to your liking. Season with salt, fresh parsley and white pepper.

Gee, that sounds good. I haven't made potato soup in a long time.

I grew up eating biscuits with bacon gravy for breakfast every Sunday... Wondra flour makes this a cinch...

Another recipe combining bacon with biscuits that looks good, from Williams-Sonoma:

Bacon Biscuit Stuffing

Attachments

• baconbiscuitstuffing.jpg
    baconbiscuitstuffing.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 209
Now there's a new one!

Or if you're feeling really adveturous try making fat washed bourbon! You can fry the bacon on the stove then add all of the grease into your favorite bourbon and freeze. The fat will freeze to the top, just scrape of and serve bourbon on ice or with bitters.

Welcome to DC Blondie.

Wait till Uncle Bob sees this one. :idea:

Go onto bbqaddicts.com and make the bacon explosion! It is the most creative use of bacon that I've ever seen.

How do you make your perogies? My husband is polish, so it would be a hit! I can't make much more than Mrs. T's. I have tried but they didn't taste anything like his mom's coveted recipe which I am not privy to.

Oh--this is a recipe from a friend. We used to get three of us together and make 30 or so dozen perogies. I've done the 30+ dozen alone, it takes all day, but oh, once you've had homemade perogies, you'll never want store-bought ones again. I don't know that I can describe the "method" for enclosing the filling in the dough. I've taught two friends since and I can always tell which perogies they filled <g>. Maybe asking his mom to show you would make her divulge her recipe because this one probably isn't as good as hers--no one else's could ever be <g>. A long time ago, I had a BF from the Gaspe area. Well, when I made sugar pie for him, he said "this is better than my mom's" (who never would share her recipe either).However, looks aren't that important, they taste the same. Just make sure the seams are closed, otherwise the filling comes out when you boil them. This is a guesstimate of what you'd need for about 4-4-1/2 dozen based on the amounts we use to make the 30 or so dozen.

Filling:

The day before:

Chop a LARGE yellow or white onion. Fry in a bit of butter in an electric skillet until limp.
Skillet fry about 1/2# of bacon. Drain on paper towels. I put mine on a flat cookie sheet between two layers of paper towels and use a rolling pin to crush
Grate 1-1/2 c cheddar cheese
Wash and peel about 2-1/2 lb potatoes, boil
Mash the potatoes with butter, milk, salt, pepper.

Add cheese, bacon, onions. Blend well. Let cool. You want about 1/2 T filling per perogie, but it depends on the size of cutter you have. I have a 2-1/2 in. that I use. And, I use a small scope, but I don't know what size it is. Sorry. Scope some of the filling into your hand, shape it into a "cigar" (about 1-1/4 inches long, about 1/4 inch thick). Place that in a tupperware container lined with waxed paper. Continue until you've made all of the filling into cigars (put layers of waxed paper between layers). Pop that in the fridge. The filling will weep if you keep it more than a day in the fridge. Take 1 stick of butter and cut into 16 pats. Put that back in the fridge. This is for "tossing" the boiled perogies. Don't omit the butter and tossing step.

The next day, make the dough:

1 500 ml container 5% sour cream
1 750 ml container flour (I like Robin Hood, another friend likes 5 Roses) level

Dump this in the food processor using the blade. Blend until it forms a ball. Turn out on a floured surface, roll thin (about as thin as pie crust...I have a lefse board and roll it thin enough to see the red circles...).

Cut using a round cookie cutter. With the filling in one hand, use your other hand to pick up a circle of dough. Place the filling in the center and pinch/squeeze the edges of the dough. You kind of have to "bend" the folded dough to make a crescent. Place on cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. When all the perogies are ready, bring a large pot (not a stock pot) to a boil. Drop 12 perogies into the pot (or fewer if using a smaller pot). They will pop to the surface (takes about a minute). Remove with a slotted spoon. Put the perogies in a large stainless bowl to which you've added 1 tsp of butter. Toss to coat. Let cool.

Pack in ziplock bags (I get the size of bags that hold 12 perogies), place the bags flat on a cookie sheet. Get as much air out as you can. Place bags of perogies in the freezer on the cookie sheet so they freeze flat. Supposedly 4 perogies make a side dish for sausage or pork chops. We like to thaw them and then pan fry until golden (not crisp). Served with fried onions, bacon, sour cream, and homemade sauerkraut.

This is like a recipe from grandma, you probaly will have to fiddle with it a bit. The ratio of flour to sour cream for the dough is 1.5:1. Don't add more flour to the dough when mixing and don't use 14% sour cream. It is too rich and the perogies don't cook well when you fry them. They stick to the pan and fall apart.

These are fun to make with a friend (or a SO/DH/DW). Or, maybe even with your MIL?

Enjoy.

Oh--you can freeze the dough for about a month if you make too much (more dough than filling). You could take leftover mashed potatoes and add the bacon, onion, and cheese (to taste <g>), and then make however many perogies you have cigars and freeze the rest of the dough. You can eat them fresh, you don't have to freeze all of them. Perogie-making day always has fresh perogies on the menu that night and the next night. <g>. I froze the filling once--it was okay, but I prefer to make it the day or night before.

You just cant ever have to much bacon! I'd be a Happy Chef too! Bacon wrapped anything is nice. I use in soups too. I love Loaded Potato Soup and Clam Chowder.

Back
Top Bottom