I have a freezer full of bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's probably too late for this or it might have already been mentioned but I like to par cook the bacon in 1/2 strips. The when they are cooled I wrap a 1/2 slice around a date and secure it with a tooth pick. then bake til the bacon is crisp. These are a favorite of ours and served at any kind of gathering there are never any left over no matter how many I make. It is one of the few things that I make that my dh"s kids appreciate.
Nice one. Never thought of dates. I have tried pineapple chunks, smoked oysters/mussels, water chesnuts, to name a few...
It is usually expensive around here, so when it does go on sale for half price, I usually buy about 10 lbs.

Last edited:
I got a gift basket for Christmas that had about 6 pounds of bacon. :pig: I am just about out of ideas for ways to use it and am hoping for some help. Besides frying some up what can I do with it? I have a lot of odds and ends around my house, so any ideas would be well appreciated!

Something I enjoyed making at the restaurant is bacon wrapped shrimp. Thaw some medium/large shrimp, cut your bacon strip into 1/3s, wrap a chunk of bacon around the head-end, shove a toothpick through it all, toss in bread crumbs, and fry em up!

they take around 1 minute in a deep fryer/fry daddy type cooker. The end result is a nice light breading and an interesting flavor mix. nice for party snacks/cocktail munchies/poker game.

tips: goes better with cocktail sauce than tartar
precooked shrimp will remain the same size through the frying process, and because the bacon cooks so quickly, precooked shrimp alleviates the worry of trying to cook the shrimp completely while not burning the bacon :)

I season my breadcrumbs with lemon pepper, a bit of cayenne, chili powder, season salt, garlic/onion powder.

Please drop some feedback if you decide to try this (although I know shrimp is spendy right now so most of us are avoiding it)

I'm glad I still have a few pounds of bacon in my freezer. They said on the news tonight that the price of bacon is about to go way up. :(:pig::(

My family has a sugar bush in Chrysler, Ont, South of Ottawa near Cornwall. I used to go regularly, but haven't in a while. They are in full swing right now.

IS that part of Aunt Betty's?

Chrysler (although I think it is Crysler--we go there to launch the canoe in the summer) is about 8 minutes "down the road" from me! We have had a spell of cold weather, so the sap wasn't running yesterday and not a lot on Thursday. Should be back in full swing by Monday.

Soup! Yes bacon is great in soups! You could do a _____ and bacon chowder. I use potatoes, but you can use your creativity here. The flavor of the crisped bacon basically spreads in the soup and gives it a great complementary flavor to the _____.

I've got the full recipe on my blog, but it's basically stir-fry the bacon with your chosen ______ until the bacon is crisp. YOu can add garlic or onion as well, then add water and fresh milk. Bring to a boil, season to taste, and then thicken with cornstarch or something.

It's amazing how bacon can enhance the flavor or soup!

All these ideas are great and sound delicious, but I agree with you that there should be a dish with bacon as the main ingredient.

What about mini bacon french toast bites. Take bread and dip it in the regular batter for french toast and then cut them into medium or large size dice. Wrap them in bacon and put a tooth pick in them. Deep fry and finish with a maple syrup glaze.

Ok, I just thought of this off the top of my head so I have no idea what this would taste like, but you said you wanted bacon as the main ingredient so here it goes. Bacon lasagna. No pasta in the dish, use bacon in place of the lasagna noodles. I think layers of a traditional bechamel sauce and bacon would work. Not sure what kind of cheese to add in-between the layers of bacon and sauce, but mozzarella would work or ricotta salata would also be a good choice.

You could also try a bacon meatball. In the meatball the only meat would be ground up bacon.

Bacon flavored ice cream with a bacon flavored ganache and bacon chocolate and crispy bacon bits as garnish. That is kind of more of an ice cream, but it is very heavy on the bacon.

I am sure there are many other great ideas and if I think of some I will post them. Hope you make many more great bacon dishes.

With the number of people who switched to turkey bacon, and the people (like me) who just plain avoid it because it is so unhealthy, I'm surprised bacon prices would be rising! Bacon is delicious though so maybe I shouldn't be shocked ;)

I have to say I found plenty of ways to use up the bacon thanks to all of you! Here are some of the things I made:

Rotini with bacon, mozzarella and tomato sauce

Straight up bacon for breakfast

I made chocolate covered bacon during the chocolate Golden Chef and it was a gross concept and ended up not being my app. It had a freak appeal to it, it almost tasted good too.

Wilted Spinach with onions, mushrooms, and bacon

Chicken Bacon Ranch Sammies

Bacon Cheeseburgers

Plenty of quiche

I'm sure there were other artery clogging foods in there too. It was really easy to figure out what to do with the side meat that I got! I just fried it up and was in heaven! That's something I cannot find at my new place and is a great treat from home.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom