Ideas for Blueberries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefkathleen

Sous Chef
I have a friend that went blueberry picking a few months ago and gave me a bag full. Think stuffed sandwich size ziploc. Big berries too. Any ideas what I can use these for? DH doesn't really like pancakes so that's out. Recipes? Thoughts?
Thanks
CK

Cook some really nice dear or lamb chops in a pan.(beef ok too)
Remove chops and cover/keep warm.
Defat then degalze pan with with a bottle of cab and your blueberries.Throw in a sprig of rosemary and reduce until thickened.Serve with chops.

Polenta or cauliflower puree would work well with this.

Brussel sprouts for a little bitter may work too.

Mmmmm... in a bowl with some honey drizzled over top!! Or whipped cream :) Or you could make a blueberry sauce and pour it over ice cream (simple syrup and blueberries, reduced a bit). Blueberry cobbler, banana-blueberry smoothie, blueberry pie...

btw, they've been frozen. Will they come out mushy ya think? Seems everything that's been frozen, vegs etc. has lost some texture and picked up moisture.

btw, they've been frozen. Will they come out mushy ya think? Seems everything that's been frozen, vegs etc. has lost some texture and picked up moisture.

I use frozen blueberries often in baked stuff, (very large ones), and have specifically used them in the 2 recipes I posted above with great results. Just make sure you do NOT defrost them for baked goods - add them in frozen. You can toss them with a little flour just before adding to the batter to minimize chances of their sinking to the bottom.

Since I happened to bring it up in another thread quite recently, you can try this muffin recipe, it worked well for me. Frozen berries shouldn't make your baked goods soggy if you don't defrost them, in my experience. Alternately, you can defrost them and add less, but where's the fun in that?

Turn the blueberries into a syrup or jam and swirl into vanilla ice cream. Make into blueberry pie (there is no better pie, period:mrgreen:.).

Use in home made barbecue sauce. Add syrup to vinegar and make a blueberry vinaigrette dressing. Make into a compote and put on top of cheesecake.

Hope these ideas help.

How about blueberry tiramisú?

Attachments

• DSCN1221.jpg
    DSCN1221.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 201
I love frozen berries in cereal. They make the milk icey cold and add great flavor! No cooking required :)

If you'd like to make a blueberry topping for cheesecakes and desserts, here's a recipe:

BLUEBERRY TOPPING

12 Oz Blueberries (frozen is OK)
⅓ C Sugar
⅓ C Water
2 tsp Corn Starch
2 Tb Lemon Juice

Combine the berries, water and sugar in a saucepan and cook for 10 minutes.

Stir the cornstarch into the lemon juice and stir it into the berries. Bring it to a boil. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.

Cool.

The single, most amazing, and satisfying thing you can do with fresh blueberries is to cup your hands together, and fill to overflowing with the little blue gems, and stuff all of them in your mouth, quick!. Then chew the best you can and swallow. You must take care not to dribble any of the blueberry juice. It's the most intense blueberry flavor that can be had. Do it once, with freshly picked, Michigan low-bush wild blueberries, straight from the bush, and you will think you've been somehow taken to paradise. Really. I'm not kidding. If there is no other reason to travel to the U.P., that one act is enough.:D

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom