Ideas for turkey wings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betterthanabox

Senior Cook
I have a pack of turkey wings, I bought them because they were on sale. I thought I could make giant buffalo wings with them. I was told that they don't work well for that. Are there any other uses?

Thanks!

Funny you should post that today. I am going to do some up myself. I was thinking of the smoker, but I may get the charcoal going instead. I have split them up and rubbed them. I think I am just going to go with a mop to try and get the skin crispy and finish them indirectly. I will show some pics tonight.

One of the stores around here sells smoked turkey wings. I've never cooked any though.

i've grilled turkey wings before, then made them buffalo style that ended up being pretty good.

it's not the same thing as a real deep fried buffalo wing, but i guess it depends on how picky you are about your buffalo wings. i know people who have to have them a certain size, fried to death, and a combo of spices added or they won't eat them.

i'm good with any kind of fried, broiled, or grilled wings, and a simple sauce of frank's, butter, and cayenne. oh, and blue cheese dressing and celery.

I'd use smoked turkey wings in some beans.:chef:

I'm wondering if they would make a good substitute for the ham bone in split pea soup. It's hard for me to come by a ham bone, but smoked turkey wings could be made aytime.

My bbq attempt was a disaster. Way too stringy and tough. I smoked the other pack a week later. I left them in for 6 hours with a rub and a mop and they turned out quite nice. I will pick up some more.

I'm wondering if they would make a good substitute for the ham bone in split pea soup. It's hard for me to come by a ham bone, but smoked turkey wings could be made aytime.

I would use anything smoked in split pea soup. Mmmmmm!

I have smoked turkey neck pieces that I bought just for that purpose.

I have waiting to make them. The wings are in my freezer waiting for me to get adventurous.

I reccomend brasing or smoking. Something that will help tenderize them and render lots of fat from the skin. I think next time I am going to braise in a bbq type sauce for a few hours, then finish off on grill. Hopefully dry up the skin a bit.

I've used the smoked turkey wings in beans and they added a very "hamlike" flavor, if you didn't tell anyone they would assume it was ham.

This may give me a good reason to smoke some turkey wings.
And leave the liquid smoke in the cupboard ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom